PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Fed Ex declared value

edjs
07-02-2015, 10:58 AM
The other day I shipped a card Fed Ex. When I declared the value, the guy asked what it was, I told him sports memorabilia. He looked in a book he had, and told me the most Fed Ex will cover on sports memorabilia is $1000. I am sure many of you have shipped items of more value than $1000 via FedEx, how do you cover the insurance against loss for items over $1000? Most of you I am sure would not take the risk of shipping something like a T206 Drum, and only be reimbursable $1000 if the item is destroyed or lost.

pokerplyr80
07-02-2015, 11:04 AM
I recently shipped a few thousand dollars worth of baseball cards using FedEx and had no problem insuring for the full value. I did not provide a category but told the woman what was in the package.

I also used USPS registered mail recently and the charge for insurance was cheaper. 6k worth of insurance and the shipping charge totaled $30.

pawpawdiv9
07-02-2015, 01:24 PM
I use USPS, and all they ask for is: any breakables,liquidsand etc. and click a button.
I only provide: theres acylic plexiglass. Thats all they need to know. I am skeptic even telling them what it is, more than the amount i wanna insure.
I make sure and protect whatever i send, if its bubble wrap, pnuts, newspaper, ziplock baggies (which i recently heard of doing) +1

benchod
07-02-2015, 02:46 PM
I recently shipped a few thousand dollars worth of baseball cards using FedEx and had no problem insuring for the full value. I did not provide a category but told the woman what was in the package.

I also used USPS registered mail recently and the charge for insurance was cheaper. 6k worth of insurance and the shipping charge totaled $30.

You may have paid for insurance but Fedex won't reimburse you for the full value if the package was lost. Same is true of UPS. Auction houses who ship Fedex or UPS have 3rd party insurance coverage.
Only the USPS will allow you to insure high value collectibles.

gabrinus
07-02-2015, 03:27 PM
This is actually valuable information...thank you

pokerplyr80
07-02-2015, 04:41 PM
You may have paid for insurance but Fedex won't reimburse you for the full value if the package was lost. Same is true of UPS. Auction houses who ship Fedex or UPS have 3rd party insurance coverage.
Only the USPS will allow you to insure high value collectibles.

I had no idea, I guess I didn't read the fine print. USPS it is from now on.

benchod
07-02-2015, 04:54 PM
I had no idea, I guess I didn't read the fine print. USPS it is from now on.

Well,
I think Fedex does a great job and there is little chance of a package getting lost. You shouldn't pay for insurance in excess of $1000 because that is the limit of their liability for sportscards no matter the declared value of the package.