PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for fraudulent eBay listings

ezez420
07-01-2015, 04:07 PM
Not sure if anyone has brought up but there are a number of fraudulent eBay listings that go up. They are high dollar cards where you have no protection from ebay and paypal. Typically using accounts with 100% feedback and listing cards as such. This listing is fraudulent. Person doesn't even know what they are selling. You will see cards such as Ruth, Wagner, Mantle, Gehrig, Jordan, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-TOPPS-82-MICKEY-MANTLE-PSA-NM-MT-8-/201381176304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee340e3f0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

vintagetoppsguy
07-01-2015, 04:14 PM
They are high dollar cards where you have no protection from ebay and paypal.

If you purchase the card through eBay and pay with PayPal, why aren't you covered?

ezez420
07-01-2015, 04:20 PM
$ threshold. Thats why crooks sell high dollar cards or try to do offline.

Exhibitman
07-01-2015, 04:32 PM
No, that is incorrect. eBay money back rule:

Purchases are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee when all of the following are true:

An item isn't received or it isn't as described in the listing.

A buyer reports that they didn't receive an item or requests a return within the eBay Money Back Guarantee timelines.

The buyer made the purchase on eBay.com via checkout or an eBay invoice with one of the following payment methods:

PayPal

PayPal Credit

ProPay

Skrill

Credit card or debit card

The item was paid for in a single payment (including payments with PayPal Credit).

If the listing was a live auction by an auction house seller, the buyer made the purchase on eBay.com and paid by any payment method, the purchase is covered as long as the buyer provides a copy of the seller invoice and proof of payment. Items sold through Sotheby's are excluded.

There are no other prerequisites for getting a refund for a non-delivered item.

ezez420
07-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Do you not see the warning over $4000? It is not that easy.

Exhibitman
07-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Nope, I don't see that. Can you point it out?

ezez420
07-02-2015, 05:06 AM
It is usually shows up before you place a bid on the item when above a certain threshold $ amount. I believe it is $4k but not 100% on that number.

pokerplyr80
07-02-2015, 10:47 AM
I also believe that is completely incorrect. There is no ebay guarantee limit that I'm aware of. Paypal also has no limit that I'm aware of. And if there is one I'm sure it's much higher than 4k. The warning you may have seen was probably telling you that your paypal account might not process the large transaction.

As I was writing this I felt the need to look it up just in case. Straight from the paypal website:

13.4 Coverage Amount. If you are eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection and PayPal finds in your favor on your Claim, PayPal will reimburse you for the full purchase price of the item and original shipping costs – with no cap on coverage.

ezez420
07-02-2015, 01:11 PM
This is the message below from PayPal to clear it up. Sorry for confusion here is the excerpt. Btw the Mantle card I posted with this post was taken down pretty quickly so most of you wont see it now.

Please note that PayPal (and some credit card companies) generally will not process payments in excess of a certain dollar amount. If the winning bid amount is above this level, it may be necessary to contact the seller to arrange other payment methods. This is not something the seller has direct control over, so please keep this in mind when providing feedback.

begsu1013
07-06-2015, 09:32 PM
completely untrue. I have had a $12K fraudulent listing refunded by ebay/paypal.

the message you are referring to is when you bid over the $5K threshold that message pops up stating some folks credit card account wont let them process it through paypal.

however, if your cc company wont process it and you wire said funds, item never arrives and you provide proof to ebay, they will refund you.

pokerplyr80
07-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Speaking on fraudulent listings check out this one for a fake 52 mantle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-Mickey-Mantle-New-York-Yankees-311-Baseball-Card-/321803830312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aed00c428

I still don't get why anyone bids on these kind of cards. The guy has a common card he's selling for $30 that's psa graded, but they don't think he would send in this mint condition 52 mantle that would be worth a few hundred thousand?

Bored5000
07-18-2015, 12:52 AM
Speaking on fraudulent listings check out this one for a fake 52 mantle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-Mickey-Mantle-New-York-Yankees-311-Baseball-Card-/321803830312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aed00c428

I still don't get why anyone bids on these kind of cards. The guy has a common card he's selling for $30 that's psa graded, but they don't think he would send in this mint condition 52 mantle that would be worth a few hundred thousand?

Bidding war between a "0" feedback bidder and a "1" feedback bidder looks legit. :rolleyes:

ALR-bishop
07-18-2015, 08:28 AM
On the plus side, it came from a really big estate sale and has hardly been touched