PDA

View Full Version : Little League Memories

LuckyLarry
06-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Park View Little League located in Lancaster California. United California Bank "Tigers" 1964-65-66. I played outfield my first year, and then catcher my final two years. This picture is from 1966 holding an Ed Mathews model bat. Typical good hustle, good fielding player who couldn't hit much:) I think I came pretty close to making the all-star team this year but fell short. We finished in second place in 1965, losing the final game of the season to the Cubs I think. The ball park was just around the corner from my house, and I bought most of my baseball cards from the snack bar. Thanks to my coaches who I still remember Mr. Martinez and Mr. White. Anybody else want to share your photos and memories?
Larry
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan2053.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan2053.jpg.html)

JoeDfan
06-29-2015, 08:40 PM
Here is my 1985 little league photo from Bar Harbor, Maine. I was on the Mariners, and played right field. My hitting dramatically improved that season, and we won the league championship! I still have the trophy in my baseball room. Mr. Hubbard and Mr. Clark were the best coaches a kid could have. In the final game of the season, I hit a triple, and as I was dusting myself off, Mr. Hubbard leaned in, and told me he nominated me, and I made the All-Star team. That was the greatest baseball day in my life.

Last year, I was the plate umpire for a school game. As I was waiting for warm-ups to finish, I looked up, and saw Mr. Hubbard for the first time in almost thirty years. He was old, and really sick with cancer, but he made his wife drive him to the field so he could watch the game. I walked over, and said even though he probably didn't remember me, but I sure remembered him; that season was the greatest one I ever had, and he was the best coach I ever had. He immediately told me of course he remembered, and then told me he still had the team photo and team trophy from that year on his mantle. He died a week or two later. I was always glad I got to see him one last time.

Leon
06-30-2015, 06:25 AM
Great story Joe and nice thread.....I will see what I can dig up. I still vividly remember my best (and last) year in little league too. I batted a bit over .450, pitched in ever game, we tied for first in the regular season and our whole team was the all star infield (though I played outfield on the All Star team). We went to the Texas state championships and came in 4-5th in our state that year (around 1973)....Our board member Mike Fr.ohmme and I played together.....

TUM301
06-30-2015, 12:43 PM
Because a man gave so much of his time and effort many men can now look back on some of their biggest thrills and childhood memories. Thank you and rest in peace, the best coach any kid could have had, Mr Dan Newell !

bnorth
07-01-2015, 09:46 AM
I played for 1 year. I was our starting right fielder because my fielding was horribe. On a bright note my hitting was much much worse than my fielding. Check out that batting stance.Lol Was #14 in tam picture.