PDA

View Full Version : 1947 Bond Bread help, please.

rdwyer
06-26-2015, 05:38 PM
I know there were counterfeits made of the square cards in 2000. Can someone tell me how to authenticate the real ones? (Square) TIA

ls7plus
06-26-2015, 07:21 PM
They were apparently reprinted using the original plates but with square corners in the late 80's to early 90's. If memory serves correctly, David Festburg made a substantial "find" of these cards at that time. I have two of those, and examining them with a loupe, they show a regular dot pattern under 16X multiplication, indicating they were indeed printed from the original plate. I do not know if any arising in the 2000's were made in the same fashion--with a counterfeit, a picture is usually taken of a real card and another plate made from that. The latter process yields an irregular dot pattern under magnification, however, and is readily detectable.

Personally, I have taken the same approach as PSA (which is no longer grading this issue), and do not buy any of these, as it would seem to be a rather simple matter to cut the corners off to match the original.

Best of luck in your quest,

Larry

tedzan
06-28-2015, 04:53 PM
I know there were counterfeits made of the square cards in 2000. Can someone tell me how to authenticate the real ones? (Square) TIA

I posted a thread on this subject matter back in 2009. Check out Post #8......

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=92743&highlight=1947+bond+bread

TED Z

doolittle1.1.1
07-26-2016, 02:13 PM
Just saw your post. I have 22 square corner cards, that I bought in the late 40's and they were found a few weeks ago in my scrapbook. No one but me knows mine are authentic, and I cannot prove it , but I did purchase them around the time Cleveland was in the 48 World Series. REAL SQUARE CORNERS MATTER

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
07-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Just saw your post. I have 22 square corner cards, that I bought in the late 40's and they were found a few weeks ago in my scrapbook. No one but me knows mine are authentic, and I cannot prove it , but I did purchase them around the time Cleveland was in the 48 World Series. REAL SQUARE CORNERS MATTER

UGH now i'm even more confused about these cards haha

doolittle1.1.1
07-26-2016, 02:49 PM
UGH now i'm even more confused about these cards haha
Thanks for the reply, now we are both nuts..My card have scotch tape on the corners, and just 5 minutes ago the Photo expert ad vise me,,,,,, tough poopy DO NOT TRY TO FIX THAT TAPE, YOU WILL RUIN THE CARD....so I will just be NUTS and enjoy

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
08-24-2016, 07:11 AM
Yea just keep them and enjoy them. The story behind them is awesome as how many people can actually say THEY have the real square corners that others run from? Enjoy!

doolittle1.1.1
08-27-2016, 05:52 AM
Yea just keep them and enjoy them. The story behind them is awesome as how many people can actually say THEY have the real square corners that others run from? Enjoy!
to think they were in my scrapbook since 1949? or 48? one or the other!!!!!!!!!! thanks for the nice note, WISH U LUCK