PDA

View Full Version : Canceling my eBay account

Edwolf1963
06-25-2015, 07:14 AM
After 16 years, 1650 feedbacks and never a single neutral much less negative, I am canceling my eBay account altogether. Many of the same issues and frustrations other member have noted, I have had it with them. They've admitted system issues, shortcomings and even "glitches" (their word) lately - yet still hold me accountable and refuse refund additional funds collected as a result of those issues. Customer service conversations and responses so ridiculous, I'd have to record them or nobody would believe me. They seem to challenge you to go leave/go elsewhere.

Anyway, posting this as I have done business with many of you on eBay both buying and selling - just an FYI here. Will continue to collect and sell here on Net54 and via AH's, just can't stomach doing that through eBay any longer. I know that will hurt me more than them and they don't care. It is what it is.

Thanks,

Ed

Stetson_1883
06-25-2015, 07:37 AM
Join ebid.net

We gotta get the ball started somehow.

Peter_Spaeth
06-25-2015, 07:49 AM
What are some of the issues you have had, just curious? I am in the 3000 FB range probably evenly split buying and selling and I have not had any significant issues at all.

GregMitch34
06-25-2015, 08:53 AM
I only have about 400 FBs over several years but also no issues--not even one phone call to them. Of course, have issues with raising fees and concerns about "shilling" and seem to be fewer and fewer good offerings at ebay but that's not the point here....

Sean1125
06-25-2015, 09:18 AM
Can you expand on this glitch that has essentially stolen money from you? (or this post claims). I am sure I can help...

CW
06-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Customer service conversations and responses so ridiculous, I'd have to record them or nobody would believe me. They seem to challenge you to go leave/go elsewhere.

I experienced this first hand recently and I was amazed. All I was trying to do was get a few eBay bucks refunded to my account, and they tried everything to get me off the phone.

First the system was running slow, then it froze up, then they would intermittently put me on hold mid-sentence, making me think the call was disconnected. When I patiently stayed on the line, the CSR would come back and was surprised I was still there. It was an absolute joke!

Sean1125
06-25-2015, 01:31 PM
I experienced this first hand recently and I was amazed. All I was trying to do was get a few eBay bucks refunded to my account, and they tried everything to get me off the phone.

First the system was running slow, then it froze up, then they would intermittently put me on hold mid-sentence, making me think the call was disconnected. When I patiently stayed on the line, the CSR would come back and was surprised I was still there. It was an absolute joke!

You need to ask for the E-bay Call ID + Write down the reps name before you start off the call. This lets them know you are serious. You can go back and quote the call if you have the number to supervisors - it's a joke to get through, but I spent nearly 2 hours a day doing it for several weeks when starting up the E-bay shop...

insccollectibles
06-25-2015, 01:49 PM
You need to ask for the E-bay Call ID + Write down the reps name before you start off the call. This lets them know you are serious. You can go back and quote the call if you have the number to supervisors - it's a joke to get through, but I spent nearly 2 hours a day doing it for several weeks when starting up the E-bay shop...

This is good advice. 1st tier reps are just that if you have their info and reference you get better service. Also, I find this very helpful if the rep you get at first isn't helpful just hang up. Call back and you may get a rep who knows what they are doing.

bbsports
06-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Listen Ed- You & I know each other a lot time. For you to be angry with e-bay, you had good reasons. I sold on e-bay for 15 years, till I finally got wise to them. Since I stop dealing with them for a couple years, all I have heard are complaints about them. When they decided to charge a 9% flat rate fee + a monthly store fee, I flew the coop. You can always count on net54 & it's board members to help in anyway they can.

Edwolf1963
06-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the message and feedback here. First off, want to clarify I never said "stolen" or even suggested such - just noted system issues which their customer service people have acknowledged (or guessed at) have resulted in my being overcharged.

My issues have been brewing for over a year and stem back to being dropped from Bronze Seller Status (and the discount associated) for what they called was "non-compliance" in mailing out cards within 2 business days. One buyer had purchased 8, 9 cards/separate listings and I combined shipped the next morning. I entered the tracking number in one of the listings and couldn't figure out why they were saying I was non-compliant? They said I should have loaded the same tracking number in all of the listings the buyer purchased. How was I supposed to know that?! Answer was basically well, now you do. OK, fine, but since I was truly compliant in sending out ALL the cards in the 2 business day time frame, please reinstate my status. Dopey replies, excuses, "can't", "uh", "we'll look into it and advise", then nothing. I even showed them the buyer feedback positive noting "fast shipping" - didn't matter, didn't care.

Next: I have been on auto-pay with them for years. Paypal and back up on my CC. They took fees every month/year but May for some reason? Nothing has changed - they didn't take it for May and started sending me notices. I couldn't understand why, all looked fine and still showed PayPal/CC, no denials or issues I could see - I told them to take the fees - no response. Account suspended. :mad: I got them on the phone, they couldn't tell me why the fees weren't taken but now I had to make a one-time payment. Why? I did nothing wrong, nothing changed on my end?? They didn't know, couldn't say for sure - I said then go ahead and take the fees, they said "can't do that" - why?? "Can't do that until next month", OK, take it then. "Can't do that" :mad:

I make one-time payment and now they've charged me a buck and a half in "late fees" - are you nuckin' futs! Keep my account suspended. I kept pleading I have done nothing wrong here. "We can request those be removed, but that may be denied" :mad:

Last: Purchased a couple cards a week ago, seller sends new combined shipping invoice a couple days ater, but it doesn't take - reverts back to original separate s/h total. Couldn't figure out why? Just paid it as I didn't want to delay this any further. Figured I'd check w/eBay and take it up w/them. Guesses, can't see it, won't let me send them the invoice I received to show them, spoof@ebay - no reply, then "it may not have come from us" form letter (even though all links went back to eBay and transaction completed with original separate ship invoice). Told me to take refund issue up w/Seller (I did initially but haven't pressed it - no reply from him, but IMO he did nothing wrong - he sent a new invoice. The few bucks was secondary and I thought eBay would look into to see what happened and just refund an obvious error). No. Latest was 50 mins on phone w/this and the suspension issue, hold, then claim/guess this was a PayPal problem. :mad:

I know in the grand scheme of things these may seem trivial - just suck it up and move on. I can, I have .. but now I've had enough. They're not trivial to me - they've cost me time, fees and frustration. They seem to dare me to cancel and galvanize my resolve in doing do. There's no common-sense applied to anything, no appreciation as a good customer, nickel & dime tactics, ridiculous guessing and responses or none at all. Bad business partner who leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I can bitch and do nothing. I can bitch and do something. This is the path I have chosen for now. I realize it will hurt me more than them and as said before, they really don't care.

So be it.

Sean1125
06-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the message and feedback here. First off, want to clarify I never said "stolen" or even suggested such - just noted system issues which their customer service people have acknowledged (or guessed at) have resulted in my being overcharged.

My issues have been brewing for over a year and stem back to being dropped from Bronze Seller Status (and the discount associated) for what they called was "non-compliance" in mailing out cards within 2 business days. One buyer had purchased 8, 9 cards/separate listings and I combined shipped the next morning. I entered the tracking number in one of the listings and couldn't figure out why they were saying I was non-compliant? They said I should have loaded the same tracking number in all of the listings the buyer purchased. How was I supposed to know that?! Answer was basically well, now you do. OK, fine, but since I was truly compliant in sending out ALL the cards in the 2 business day time frame, please reinstate my status. Dopey replies, excuses, "can't", "uh", "we'll look into it and advise", then nothing. I even showed them the buyer feedback positive noting "fast shipping" - didn't matter, didn't care.

Next: I have been on auto-pay with them for years. Paypal and back up on my CC. They took fees every month/year but May for some reason? Nothing has changed - they didn't take it for May and started sending me notices. I couldn't understand why, all looked fine and still showed PayPal/CC, no denials or issues I could see - I told them to take the fees - no response. Account suspended. :mad: I got them on the phone, they couldn't tell me why the fees weren't taken but now I had to make a one-time payment. Why? I did nothing wrong, nothing changed on my end?? They didn't know, couldn't say for sure - I said then go ahead and take the fees, they said "can't do that" - why?? "Can't do that until next month", OK, take it then. "Can't do that" :mad:

I make one-time payment and now they've charged me a buck and a half in "late fees" - are you nuckin' futs! Keep my account suspended. I kept pleading I have done nothing wrong here. "We can request those be removed, but that may be denied" :mad:

Last: Purchased a couple cards a week ago, seller sends new combined shipping invoice a couple days ater, but it doesn't take - reverts back to original separate s/h total. Couldn't figure out why? Just paid it as I didn't want to delay this any further. Figured I'd check w/eBay and take it up w/them. Guesses, can't see it, won't let me send them the invoice I received to show them, spoof@ebay - no reply, then "it may not have come from us" form letter (even though all links went back to eBay and transaction completed with original separate ship invoice). Told me to take refund issue up w/Seller (I did initially but haven't pressed it - no reply from him, but IMO he did nothing wrong - he sent a new invoice. The few bucks was secondary and I thought eBay would look into to see what happened and just refund an obvious error). No. Latest was 50 mins on phone w/this and the suspension issue, hold, then claim/guess this was a PayPal problem. :mad:

I know in the grand scheme of things these may seem trivial - just suck it up and move on. I can, I have .. but now I've had enough. They're not trivial to me - they've cost me time, fees and frustration. They seem to dare me to cancel and galvanize my resolve in doing do. There's no common-sense applied to anything, no appreciation as a good customer, nickel & dime tactics, ridiculous guessing and responses or none at all. Bad business partner who leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I can bitch and do nothing. I can bitch and do something. This is the path I have chosen for now. I realize it will hurt me more than them and as said before, they really don't care.

So be it.

I experienced the same issue except on a much larger scale... If you do not make sure "awaiting shipment" is cleared daily you have an issue.

Also it is 24 hours not 2 days (unless there is something different for my account).

E-bay sucks, that's what happens when you become worth billions of dollars and don't give a shit about the small time seller.

Buythatcard
06-25-2015, 03:48 PM
eBay sucks but where else can you sell stuff where there are 157 million potential buyers.

I had my share of issues with eBay but its still the best place to buy and sell my cards.

Edwolf1963
06-25-2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks Sean and everyone else for your thoughts/feedback. I did/do ship within 24 hours (I think it was 2 days at one time?) - this one especially as the buyer had purchased so many, wanted to get them out ASAP. I had no idea they expected you to load in the same tracking number on all listings of a combined ship? Either way, they could see I did what I was supposed to in sending out within 24 hours and still very much compliant. Still - the interest in doing the right thing on their end was non-existent and they used system/process excuses and limitations as their reasoning. It felt like they found a way to charge me more. Unfairly.

At the end of the day I realize I'm making an emotionally charged decision. One that I may come to regret and will hurt me when it comes to card collecting/selling. My intent in starting this thread wasn't so much to start another "ebay sucks" rant - more to just let many who I know and have done business with (both here and eBay) that the eBay avenue is no longer an option for me for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again for your feedback and suggestions, always helpful to get others thoughts and perspectives.

Sean1125
06-25-2015, 04:03 PM
Thanks Sean and everyone else for your thoughts/feedback. I did/do ship within 24 hours (I think it was 2 days at one time?) - this one especially as the buyer had purchased so many, wanted to get them out ASAP. I had no idea they expected you to load in the same tracking number on all listings of a combined ship? Either way, they could see I did what I was supposed to in sending out within 24 hours and still very much compliant. Still - the interest in doing the right thing on their end was non-existent and they used system/process excuses and limitations as their reasoning. It felt like they found a way to charge me more. Unfairly.

At the end of the day I realize I'm making an emotionally charged decision. One that I may come to regret and will hurt me when it comes to card collecting/selling. My intent in starting this thread wasn't so much to start another "ebay sucks" rant - more to just let many who I know and have done business with (both here and eBay) that the eBay avenue is no longer an option for me for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again for your feedback and suggestions, always helpful to get others thoughts and perspectives.

I had that happen except my fee break was in the thousands that they took away (Due to an E-bay side shipping error). I spent over 40 hours on the phone arguing with 5 different managers in 5 different divisions before my appeal got denied. I kept calling and eventually got a manager that understood my argument and spent a solid week arguing for me and eventually got me a credit (even then it was still only 3 of 4 months).

It is the most ridiculous crap in the world.

clydepepper
06-25-2015, 04:58 PM
I sure am glad to be a relatively small fish in the EBAY sea...I always got satisfaction when contacting Customer Service. I opened my account in 1999.

I have, however, recently, discovered 'ThePit.com' which is a great source for post WWII graded star cards. I bought four cards yesterday: (2) Mantle; (2) Koufax. My totals costs are much lower there.

JasonD08
06-25-2015, 07:12 PM
I have been gone a few months and do not miss it at all. They are leeches and a sinking ship IMO. Use net54 and CU BST great people here. Ebay will implode soon and I will not miss it. I once had an anchor store with 14,000 items, in the golden years I did $20-30K per month with $2-3K in fees per month, toward the end $3-4K in gross sales and $1200-2K per month. I actually quit after 1 unwarranted neg they would not remove and when I quit, they automatically upcharge me $700 more for early cancellation for anchor store which I had well over 3 years. I refuse to pay and they sent me a collection letter. I say "good luck."

Jason

drcy
06-25-2015, 09:19 PM
A few years ago I got bills from a hospital and ambulance when I've never in my life been in an ambulance and had never stepped foot in that hospital. I wasn't even a member of their healthcare system (the hospital is part of a large regional health system with many hospitals and ciinics). It took about six months on the phone to clear that up. I often got a lower down phone person who would say "I understand what you are saying, but I don't have the authority to to fix it." Though a small point of satisfaction was when in the middle of all this I told a person on the phone that they had to have a database mixup in their computer system and the person admitted that it wouldn't have been the first time.