PDA

View Full Version : Why do some T cards use the same player picture?

Stetson_1883
06-24-2015, 02:43 PM
I'm just getting into collecting tobacco cards outside t206's and have a dumb question.

Why do many tobacco sets all use the same picture for most of their players?

For example why is the 1914 t213 Coupon set "virtually" identical, each sharing the same player pics? t213 was not produced by the Am. Tob Co. correct?

Are there players in the t213 set NOT featured in the t206 set? If so I cant seem to find them.

Finally, legally, how is it allowed that these tobacco companies can use this seemingly proprietary artwork without disputes arising?

Thanks so much in advance for your help on this one!

drcy
06-24-2015, 09:12 PM
They likely bought the images from an independent photo service. Proverbial stock photos.

Leon
06-26-2015, 05:30 PM
I'm just getting into collecting tobacco cards outside t206's and have a dumb question.

Why do many tobacco sets all use the same picture for most of their players?

For example why is the 1914 t213 Coupon set "virtually" identical, each sharing the same player pics? t213 was not produced by the Am. Tob Co. correct?

Are there players in the t213 set NOT featured in the t206 set? If so I cant seem to find them.

Finally, legally, how is it allowed that these tobacco companies can use this seemingly proprietary artwork without disputes arising?

Thanks so much in advance for your help on this one!

1. It was less expensive and easier to use images over again?
2. I am not a lawyer but I am pretty sure they had to get players approvals for using their likenesses on cards. (if that is what you meant by that question)

I will let others answer the rest. Good luck and happy collecting!!

ps..or as David said, bought the images..