PDA

View Full Version : Denkert Glove, model M5R, is this a first?

billyb
06-19-2015, 09:10 PM
Hey glove guys,
I know Denkert is not a very valuable glove, but had to rescue the glove just the same, condition was, it needed some love. Did not pay much for the glove, but I tried to find something about the Model M5R, and I cannot find anything. I also understand that there is new models, for Denkerts gloves, still being discovered.
By size, the glove appears to be a youth Glove, left handed and endorsed by Monte Pearson. It is a buckle back, and by Pearson's playing career, the glove is probably from the latter 1930s.
Just two straps between the Thumb and fore finger, and the glove has a narrow strap that connects the first three fingers with no attached string or strap between the ring finger and little finger.
Can anyone give me any further information regarding this model number, M5R, or is it possible a first.

billyb
06-20-2015, 02:06 PM
I have found a glove which looks like my glove, except for color. In the history of Denkert gloves, The model on that glove was MR. Another which looks similar is listed as unknown.
Would the 5 in the middle of the MR indicate it is a left handed glove?

vintagebrett
06-20-2015, 04:28 PM
The "R" is most likely a part of the model number to indicate it was for use on the right hand (i.e. - for a left handed thrower). Denkert made gloves for a ton of different stores and companies so it's hard to pinpoint exact model numbers - yours could have been specific to the store they sold it to or it could have been a cataloged number. It's hard to know because there aren't many Denkert catalogs that have surfaced. I have a very similar Pearson model made by Denkert for the Noah's Ark department stores - model is B31.

billyb
06-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Thank you Brett, your knowledge of gloves is very well respected.

Bill

Baseball Glove Collector
06-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Hey Bill,

That Pearson is in pretty nice condition. Denkert literally had tons of different iterations of model numbers. A lot of them were specific to the company or label they made them for. Brett is right on in that the R in the model # is probably for right hand.

Brett, great reply - spot on but one thing, I always thought Noah's Ark was an old defunct Auto Parts store.

JD

billyb
06-20-2015, 09:44 PM
Thanks Jim,
The glove is not too bad at all, but when I bought it, it was very dry. Gave it a good bath and cleaning today. Thanks again.

Bill