PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to get rid of low grade dupes?

mooch
06-18-2015, 06:57 PM
After several years of collecting and upgrading (mostly 1950s), I have a bunch of low-quality, ungraded commons and some semi-stars. If graded, they would be PSA1-5. I am a collector, not a dealer. Any advice on how to get rid of these easily? How do other collectors approach this? Cards are a hobby and I have a challenging job, so I am looking to economize on time.

I was thinking of putting lots on ebay. Or I may try to cut a deal at my local card shop, which has so many low grade commons for laughably high prices. I figure if I get 20% of his ebay-ignoring, magical "book value", then I would be indifferent.

I am not trying to draw out pm offers. I am really interested about how other collectors approach this challenge.

swarmee
06-18-2015, 08:15 PM
On eBay, you should probably group them by Year or Team.

On COMC, check to see what the other sellers have them listed at. If they're $1 or more for each card, create an account and send them in at their 25 cent service and price them all the lowest for their grade. You can even sell cards on Amazon through COMC. There are some "best practices" for COMC sellers, if you look at an earlier post I made. Not too time consuming, and a good way to take unwanted cards and convert them into cards for your personal collection, if you'd rather get cards instead of cash. (They charge a cash out fee of 20% to get sent cash for your cards.)

You can sell them in lots here on the B/S/T auction board. Check the ones BocaBirdman is putting out to see how he structures his auctions. I think it's pretty smart.

1963Topps Set
06-19-2015, 05:37 AM
I have always taken my low condition dupes (from upgrading my collection) to the shows and trading them off for cards I need. I have been successful in building my sets this way, especially the 1964 Topps set.

David W
06-19-2015, 07:18 AM
I buy team lots of low/mid grade cards. Give me 10 57 Topps or 55 Bowmans for $9.99 of St. Louis Cardinals and I'll usually bite if it is a year I'm working on the team set for.

I also buy minor stars of my team (The Cardinals) in the same grade, but don't like to pay more than a buck or two including shipping.

I am a sucker for the $1.99 to $3.99 with free shipping kind of card of Cardinal players (thinking here of non HOF'ers, but stars like Curt Flood, Ted Simmons, Howie Pollett, Bill White, etc....)

mooch
06-19-2015, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I am going to try these ideas.