PDA

View Full Version : Chipping paint on vintage stadium seats

darkhorse9
06-17-2015, 02:23 PM
My wife and son bought me a vintage stadium seat from Engel Field in Chattanooga for my collection room.

The seat is in usable shape and I plan on sitting on it in my room, however the paint on the seat is chipping considerably.

I'm shying away from repainting it as you can see several different colors of paint on it now showing the years (green, red, yellow)

Any advise on how to keep it from chipping away too much without damaging the integrity of the seat.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz44/Mark_Fricke/chair_zpssyyv6tou.jpg

vintagesportscollector
06-17-2015, 05:18 PM
Nice seat Mark, very cool looking! Others my have a different opinion or more experience to offer other suggestions, but my personal preference for a seat like this is to keep the original condition, and not refinish - adds to the character and charm. I think you have two options....keep as is, or if you really want to get use as a seat, I think you need to refinish. Personally I would leave as is and find another chair to sit in. ;)

eastonfalcon19
06-17-2015, 06:09 PM
Nice seat Mark, very cool looking! Others my have a different opinion or more experience to offer other suggestions, but my personal preference for a seat like this is to keep the original condition, and not refinish - adds to the character and charm. I think you have two options....keep as is, or if you really want to get use as a seat, I think you need to refinish. Personally I would leave as is and find another chair to sit in. ;)

I have to agree with Joe. I have shibe park seats that are chipping the red paint and under it you can see the original green and the seat numbers. I personally like them like this unless they are really bad then I would restore. Very nice seat.

RTK
06-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Be aware that the paint may be lead based. I like seats in original condition, to me they tell more of a story that way . I have seats both ways; original and refurbished.

Econteachert205
06-18-2015, 03:39 PM
I'd leave it be.

cwazzy
06-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Probably a dumb thought but could you spray it with a low-gloss clear coating to keep the look of the peeling paint without having to worry about it flaking off? Seems like it might be the best of both worlds but might not work.

icollectDCsports
06-18-2015, 06:13 PM
Probably a dumb thought but could you spray it with a low-gloss clear coating to keep the look of the peeling paint without having to worry about it flaking off? Seems like it might be the best of both worlds but might not work.

This occurred to me as well, but I'd think a thicker coat or multiple coats would work better to hold the current finish in place and that brushing on may help achieve that better than spraying, which I think would leave a thinner coat. First, I'd gently peel off the loose flakes because, let's face it, they're going to flake off anyway in time if you actually sit on the seat as you said. With the loose flakes off and the remaining paint protected by the clear coat (polyurethane, I'd think), you just might be able to keep it from flaking even more.

Overall, I'm a fan of leaving such things as is and, if it were mine, I'd probably display it without alteration and not sit in it.

Mark70Z
06-19-2015, 05:33 PM
I'd leave it as it is. I have a couple Memorial Stadium seats which are basically doing the same thing. I sit in them every once in a while with a few flakes coming off now and then. I think the seats look just fine like this...

Kzoo
06-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Hey Mark..............Like everyone else said, leave them original as they are so much more attractive with the vintage character. Refinished seats are just plain and unattractive to me......they look like reproductions. We have several sets of Tiger Stadium seats (2 rows of 3 and one row of 4) that are sat in on a daily basis in our business' lobby. Several of the wood slats were heavily worn on the edges of a couple seats to a point where the original green paint was gone and bare wood showed. I lightly brushed some similar colored green enamel paint on those areas and they look great and don't take away from the original, vintage feel. Take care........Matt