PDA

View Full Version : 1968, 1969 & 1970 Topps Nolan Ryan -Sent to PSA - Post 26 PSA grades back*

murphy8276
06-15-2015, 08:15 PM
1969 & 1970 Topps Nolan Ryan - Should I send to PSA? What to expect?

Pretty much just like the title states. I have two Nolan Ryan cards that I think are in really decent shape that I am considering grading. I have had each for roughly ten years. I apologize in advance for the pictures since I do not have a scanner at this time suitable.

I typically do not get my cards graded and don't buy graded, but it has come the time to sell some of my collection.

Any thoughts on potential grades, value, etc are welcome.

Thanks for the input.

http://i58.tinypic.com/154hgsw.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/rmvgy9.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/imp5oz.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/smx79l.jpg .

swarmee
06-16-2015, 04:46 AM
I'm guessing a 6-6.5 on the '69, and a 7-8 on the '70. The bottom right corner of the '69 is dinged down to maybe a 7, and there is additional edge wear. The '70 looks clean overall, but is OC t/b. Might get a straight 8.

turtleguy64
06-16-2015, 05:04 AM
almost guarantee an OC ed grade on that '70 from PSA.yes,between a 6 and 7 on the '69.They will screw you and give you a 6 on that '69.Trust me.

KCRfan1
06-16-2015, 07:40 AM
I believe you are looking at a 5 on the '69, and a 6 on the '70. What grade do you think you should get for the cards?

nolemmings
06-16-2015, 08:53 AM
I believe those corners keep the '69 Ryan at no higher than 5. The '70 is a 6 or 6 (OC) IMO.

con40
06-16-2015, 01:11 PM
The '69 looks nice, but between the corners and the surface scratch to the right of his leg, this card is likely a 5, possibly a 6. No premium over a raw card.

The '70 is a bit nicer and might grade a 7. If it does you'll get a decent premium over a raw card, but not enough to get a you a steak dinner.

Rich Klein
06-16-2015, 01:37 PM
I'd get em both graded. Both are worth enough, even in the conditions mentioned to be an acceptable risk/reward for the grading cost.

Plus, your cards will be more secure. I had someone spill water on some of my cards this weekend at a show because he was not paying attention. Your cards will be far better off in holders

Rich

JollyElm
06-16-2015, 01:49 PM
For comparison sake, here are two Ryans I have laying around…

I know the scan quality isn't too great, but it's clear to see that both of your cards are in better shape than these. So, logically speaking, you should receive better grades on each of your cards…but who would ever think there's actually logic involved at the TPG's???

swarmee
06-16-2015, 04:01 PM
Those cards were graded probably 10+ years ago based on the flips and the grading scale has gotten harder since then. However, I don't think the 1970 card in the first post would get an OC nowadays unless it was a 9(OC). It's not "that" off center, maybe 35/65. Even that would still barely qualify as 9 centering. So I'll upgrade my guess on the 1970 to an 8.

http://www.psacard.com/Services/PSAGradingStandards

rgpete
06-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Its just a number, and the inconsistency of grading. The question is how qualified are these people to grade cards, do they have a standard for each grade or is it how they feel on a particular day. Save your money.

lgbbcards
06-17-2015, 10:44 AM
From the pics I see a 5 for the 1969 and a 6 for the 1970 Ryan

murphy8276
06-17-2015, 12:19 PM
Thanks everyone for their opinions and thoughts on the cards.

It is a gamble either way when you send these in apparently and the grader determines the number they give with various outcomes.

I have never sent one into grading, but I think I will venture to do so with these 2 since it is more than likely a break even with some upside potentially if one gets lucky at 6.5 or higher. I will read on how to submit them unless someone has a general breakdown of the best method to do a first submission?

I originally had plans to run the nolan cards together. I have his rookie 1968 too along with this 69/70, but I believe the 68' is tilted a bit in appearance. It is sharp otherwise so I am not sure also what that would grade, but I figured it would be smart to grade that regardless being his rookie so I didn't bother to post it.

swarmee
06-17-2015, 03:35 PM
Well, since you're just submitting three cards, you are probably fine just doing a non-member submission for three cards at the regular submission cost of $17/each +S/I for cards valued up to $500 each (ungraded). They will take a while to log into their system (~5 business days), but get graded within 10 business days and be mailed back to you priority mail with insurance.

If you just had the '69 and '70 Ryan, I would have you wait for someone going on a group bulk submission special or offer to send them in for you on my next bulk submission of 1956+ cards. But with the rookie, just send them all in.

Or... if you think this is going to become a "thing" for you like it has for me, you should join the PSA Collector's Club for either the 6 free grades or 15 free grades. That gives you the ability to get cards graded under the bulk submission rates at $6-7 a card, but they take up to months to complete.

swarmee
06-17-2015, 03:38 PM
As to your Ryan rookie card, PSA doesn't downgrade much for "tilt" unless it causes the off-center parameters to be exceeded for a grade. Your cards with tilt won't qualify for the half-point bumps within a grade (like 7.5 instead of 7) for having good eye-appeal normally around highly centered cards.

You may want to post your '68 Ryan anyways, since 1) people like to see them, and 2) it might actually be a Milton Bradley version.

pokerplyr80
06-17-2015, 03:48 PM
If you're looking to sell them anyway I am interested in them raw. It might save you some trouble. How much do you want for the pair?

murphy8276
06-17-2015, 05:28 PM
As to your Ryan rookie card, PSA doesn't downgrade much for "tilt" unless it causes the off-center parameters to be exceeded for a grade. Your cards with tilt won't qualify for the half-point bumps within a grade (like 7.5 instead of 7) for having good eye-appeal normally around highly centered cards.

You may want to post your '68 Ryan anyways, since 1) people like to see them, and 2) it might actually be a Milton Bradley version.

I've add the 1968 Nolan Ryan below. I do not think it is the Milton Bradley, but I am not sure of the tell tale signs other than the left side line.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2l8ywph.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/bg2352.jpg

JollyElm
06-17-2015, 05:38 PM
If you're looking to trade the '68, then definitely check out my bucket. All sorts of good stuff there.

murphy8276
06-17-2015, 09:28 PM
If you're looking to sell them anyway I am interested in them raw. It might save you some trouble. How much do you want for the pair?

Not sure what is fair. The grades possible do have upside, but I could be wasting the $45 or so for both insured and graded. I do plan to sell them and although I had interest before to do a Ryan run, I no longer am pursuing it. I don't plan to sell the Ryan RC 1968 topps yet though, but am grading it regardless to see where it pops. :D

Any guesses on that one?

pokerplyr80
06-17-2015, 11:19 PM
If I had to guess on your 68 I would say a 5. That ding on the top right corner on the back looks like it would knock it down. Let me know about the 69 and 70. Send me a message if you're interested in selling.

murphy8276
06-18-2015, 01:25 PM
If I had to guess on your 68 I would say a 5. That ding on the top right corner on the back looks like it would knock it down. Let me know about the 69 and 70. Send me a message if you're interested in selling.

Thank you for the opinion on the 68 and I do agree that the one corner is the rough spot that I noticed, but I am not a grader nor claim to be anything close either. I am glad I asked the board for help on these.

Thank you to everyone so far and feel free to continue to share opinions, especially on the 1968 Ryan RC. I will let you know about the 69/70 as soon as I decide pokerplyr80.

Rich Klein
06-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Again for the risk/reward. I'd get the 68 graded as well. Even at $15

murphy8276
06-20-2015, 05:27 PM
Again for the risk/reward. I'd get the 68 graded as well. Even at $15

Ty Rich.

I will be doing all 3. Looking over some of my other cards as well now that I may send more at once.

What is the best way to grade like 25 or even 50 at once? I do wish to get them back quickly, but it won't be the end of the world to wait on some or "all".

pokerplyr80
06-21-2015, 10:52 AM
You can get a discount if you send in bulk, but you have to be a PSA member. The wait time is longer, and the declared value of each card has to be $100 or less. If you're sending in higher value cards and want the card insured for more than $100 I would send those separately.

swarmee
06-21-2015, 01:10 PM
Yep, I would join the PSA Collectors Club with the 15 free grades, and send in your higher values cards on that one that apply. Then use one of the monthly bulk submission deals (this month is $6 per card Pre-1956 with a minimum of 25 for a 50 business day turnaround).

http://www.psacard.com/Specials/

Some people who send all of one year in at a time get faster grades and turnaround since there is little research to do and they all probably get processed at the same time.

Here's my other suggestion: if these are your second best cards, don't send these yet. Send your best cards. If you are happy with your second set being raw, you'll make more money on your best cards getting graded. Why send the PSA 7.5s when you might have PSA 8s and 9s you're not getting graded? That's how I would see it.

Rich Klein
06-22-2015, 06:56 AM
I know at Beckett if you take the 45 business day option, the rate is lower.

murphy8276
02-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Honestly it took forever for me to join PSA and actually send these in. I feel like I got whamboozeled and have the air taken out of me on whether or not to even submit anything else to PSA again. I honestly feel like my entire submission was low (although I believe everyone would say that first time). ;)

What does everyone think on reviewing these ones?

68 - PSA 5 (wish I could have pulled a 6, should resubmit just to try)
69 - PSA 4 (insane? or something we didn't see besides corners?)
70 - PSA 6 (fair enough grade but many here thought chances at 7 or 8, resubmit?)

Am I also nuts for considering cracking out these new cards and selling RAW due to the presentation being far from the grade? I realize people judge the card not the holder, but in this case I feel all 3 are not in the correct holders.

Thanks for input again guys.

1969 & 1970 Topps Nolan Ryan - Should I send to PSA? What to expect?

Pretty much just like the title states. I have two Nolan Ryan cards that I think are in really decent shape that I am considering grading. I have had each for roughly ten years. I apologize in advance for the pictures since I do not have a scanner at this time suitable.

I typically do not get my cards graded and don't buy graded, but it has come the time to sell some of my collection.

Any thoughts on potential grades, value, etc are welcome.

Thanks for the input.

http://i58.tinypic.com/154hgsw.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/rmvgy9.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/imp5oz.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/smx79l.jpg .
I've add the 1968 Nolan Ryan below. I do not think it is the Milton Bradley, but I am not sure of the tell tale signs other than the left side line.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2l8ywph.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/bg2352.jpg

con40
02-17-2016, 11:27 AM
Overall, these are fair grades.

The '68 has a crimp or dent along the top edge (visible on the back of the card) and a fully dinged corner with a fold... 5 all day long.

The '70 has centering issues, a crimp or dent on the left side of the card, and some corner touches... fair at a 6, could have been a 6.5.

Not sure why the '69 is a 4. There must be a tiny bit of paper loss on it somewhere that isn't showing in your scans. That's generally too harsh a grade for a surface wrinkle.

murphy8276
02-17-2016, 04:13 PM
Overall, these are fair grades.

The '68 has a crimp or dent along the top edge (visible on the back of the card) and a fully dinged corner with a fold... 5 all day long.

The '70 has centering issues, a crimp or dent on the left side of the card, and some corner touches... fair at a 6, could have been a 6.5.

Not sure why the '69 is a 4. There must be a tiny bit of paper loss on it somewhere that isn't showing in your scans. That's generally too harsh a grade for a surface wrinkle.

Thank you for taking a 2nd look. You were fairly similar the first time you looked although you had said the 70 had a shot at a 7 if I recall. I am tempted to send it back in, but I suppose if it will not improve value substantially it may not be worth it. I have about a dozen or so I didn't "agree" with in my submission so I have considered sending some in for review and seeing if any at all were mis-graded so I want to be selective in that and your thoughts help.

Anyone else care to chime in please feel free.

begsu1013
02-17-2016, 04:40 PM
ryan fan here and the grades do seem appropriate.

biggest factor overlooked by new submitters is the surface of the card, which we can't pick up on in scans. the gloss, scratches and even a minute surface wrinkle can take a 9 or 10 to an auto 5.

i did it starting off as well. i think a lot of us have.

but the first sub always hurts.

i would not resub these as the potential payoff does not seem worth the reward.

DBesse27
02-17-2016, 09:38 PM
Grades are fair. 69 has some janky corners.

Exhibitman
02-18-2016, 11:59 AM
When I saw the OP w/the 1969 Ryan first thought I had was "4". I got slammed with a 4 on a 69 Jackson with similar nice presentation. The graders there are really bitchy about 1969 corners, I guess:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous5/websize/1969%20Topps%20Jackson.jpg

I'd leave the 68 and 70 in the holders; those grades are fair. The 69 presents nicer, perhaps a 5 or 5.5, but it isn't a six and I don't think going for a resub would get you more than half a grade.

wilkiebaby11
02-18-2016, 12:40 PM
I agree with others, grades seem fair IMO.

68 looks sharp but the OC may have kept it from the 6.
69 looks like VG-EX corners. I thought it would get a 4 or 5.
70 looks like a 6 or 7, but hard to tell.

Like begsu said, there's a lot that the community cannot see with just scans. PSA uses loupes, so their eyes are much much better on these things. I doubt that you would get worse grades if you resubmitted them, but I dont think that you'd see much improvement on any of them either. The only card worth the risk to maybe try and resubmit would be the 68 RC.

murphy8276
02-20-2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

I think I may send the 68 back in just because it seems worth it to me to give it a shot if PSA does indeed upgrade cards through review, but after hearing responses I agree with the grades on the other two so will sell as is.

Follow up - Is it always best to crack out and resubmit or are there success stories with getting a full point + on a review?

On the PSA 4 (1969 Ryan), does it sell higher graded the 4 or Raw? And what are everyone's thoughts on cracking out a subbed card to list it for sale? Is it considered any bit of deception or is it common practice and you've all done it?

Exhibit man, send that Jackson back in man--what a ripoff grade IMO. I have a worse looking 5.

begsu1013
02-20-2016, 12:16 PM
do not attempt to crack that 68 ryan if it's your first attempt.

buy a bunch of cheap whatever cards that are in the new holder and practice first. again, the new holder. older ones were quite easy.