PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Probstein Auctions

mcgurgd
06-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Was looking at some 1976 Topps Pirates PSA 9 cards on Ebay Probstein auction and Richie Hebner sold for $108 when there were two "Buy it Now" auctions for $18.99

The Kirkpatrick and Ken Brett also sold for a lot more than I would expect

This seems very odd to me (shilling)?

pokerplyr80
06-12-2015, 02:46 PM
I had to look that one up out of curiosity. You can actually get a PSA 10 right now BIN for 100. Definitely strange. Maybe a couple of guys just got caught up in the auction and didn't look for other listings.

JollyElm
06-12-2015, 03:28 PM
There have been many threads around these parts talking about those guys and the shilling that's inherent in everything they do. The fact that most people refer to them as "Problemstein" sorta says it all.

1952boyntoncollector
06-12-2015, 09:11 PM
I had to look that one up out of curiosity. You can actually get a PSA 10 right now BIN for 100. Definitely strange. Maybe a couple of guys just got caught up in the auction and didn't look for other listings.

it amazing how people bid above BINs on cards that are under 200 dollars in those 1970s set breaks.......heck the psa t206 young I had was on ebay with start price for 3999 for weeks and it sold for over 6000 when changed to a 99 cent auction with probstein/pwcc type auction

pokerplyr80
06-13-2015, 12:00 AM
It's hard for me to believe this was a shilled auction because even if the consignor had that intent, would you really keep bidding that high over what the card was worth?

I have never shilled any of my auctions but were I so inclined I would be happy to stop once the card reached recent sales or current BIN prices.

begsu1013
06-14-2015, 10:15 AM
poker,

you also have to realize that it might not have gotten paid for, or it has w/ ulterior motives.

1st: obviously shilling

but:

2nd: there are groups of guys out there that will go in w/ each other and shill/drive the prices up in an auction like this so that it makes it to vcp and inherently gives it that green lil arrow, makes the boards post threads, draws attention to the card, etc....ironically, they actually do pay for it and just eat the 8%....think about the 54 aaron psa 8 that went from sale prices of $6K to now upwards of $22K in the span of 6 months. all it takes is that 1 "crazy" sale for everyone else to realize it was undervalued and/or go crazy themselves.

and while shilling is obviously a concern, this concern is probably more frequent...and oddly enough, you'll see that same card about 4 - 5 months later after it's cycled off ebay. so it's obviously not a collector who's wanted the card forever. it's the speculator and considering the economy vs past few years, the market is primed...

so 8% x $6000 = $480 in commission. hold for six months and sell for $20K - $6480 = $13,520. (not to mention they weren't in the card at $6000 to begin with, more like $3-4K)

this happens quite frequently on the marquee cards. as for the common low pop cards, sometimes crazy is just crazy. and as others say TRIAPD.

pokerplyr80
06-14-2015, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I can see your point and I'm sure that does happen. I didn't really consider that an option on this card because I can't imagine collectors are conspiring to drive the market up on a 76 Topps Richie Hebner. But I'm sure stranger things have happened. Maybe someone has slowly been hoarding them over the years.

begsu1013
06-14-2015, 10:56 AM
no, definitely not. that's simply why triapd!

i have heard of guys hoarding a particular card though, but like ya said there were 2 other's listed as a BIN...which is odd!

mintacular
06-14-2015, 04:17 PM
Not all high grade low pop cards are "equal" in terms of eye appeal/centering so a PSA 10 that is exceptional for the grade could be bid up much higher than a unmerited PSA 10

Some shoppers do not look at bins and only participate in auctions so they would not be aware that the same grade card is available for less via BIN

pokerplyr80
06-19-2015, 04:50 PM
I have yet to see a PSA 10 without good eye appeal and centering.