PDA

View Full Version : M116 Envelopes/Folders and PSA Grading issue

caramelcard
06-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Got a message today on ebay from a "big dealer" stating that my M116 folders/envelopes graded by PSA are not legit. Or, I guess he was stating that the holders were fake. When I got home I looked at the holders and both have a cert number of 12345678 which certainly does seem strange.

I couldn't fathom why someone would actually fabricate oversize holders and place perfectly authentic envelopes in them with no number grade. Doesn't sound like a big money making scheme, but this person is adamant that they're not legit.

I contacted PSA, but the representative didn't know so he's getting back to me at a later time.

Any thoughts?

Here they are:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M116-Sporting-LIfe-Envelope-Series-2-PSA-Graded-Rare-/111607174997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fc4e5755

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M116-Sporting-LIfe-Envelope-Series-8-PSA-Graded-Rare-/121579883512?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4eb9cbf8

Thanks all.

Rob

sb1
06-11-2015, 03:35 PM
Good as gold, whoever told you otherwise is certainly not familiar with them. I cracked a bunch of these out and they may have also had the same generic 12345678 number.

06-11-2015, 05:58 PM
Did his eBay message end with "...but I'll take 'em off your hands for half price."?

caramelcard
06-11-2015, 06:14 PM
Nope. Just several messages stating that these listings are fishy and that I'm "duping people."

He thinks they're the exact same items because they have the same cert number. I don't have an explanation for that because I don't work at PSA, but I tried to explain that they're real.

He claims there's no way PSA would certify these and that I must've been duped myself when I purchased them.

I bought them separately (one in Goodwin).

Anyways, just sucks to be accused of selling fakes by someone for no reason.

Rob

milkit1
06-11-2015, 06:22 PM
That is cool to know PSA will slab them as I have two myself :)

Rob D.
06-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Nope. Just several messages stating that these listings are fishy and that I'm "duping people."

Here's hoping the board member will identify himself.

gabrinus
06-11-2015, 06:54 PM
Don't hold your breath.....

Leon
06-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Those ebay listings with the same cert numbers are interesting. I know the seller is ok :) and I know Scott knows those wrappers :).

So there is something rotten in the state of denmark with the flips or the holders or something. Unless I am mistaking, and I could be because i don't know PSA that well, there shouldn't be 2 identical cert numbers. And that is forgetting they are both the "John Doe's" of numbers, 12345678

bxb
06-12-2015, 06:56 PM
Those ebay listings with the same cert numbers are interesting. I know the seller is ok :) and I know Scott knows those wrappers :).

So there is something rotten in the state of denmark with the flips or the holders or something. Unless I am mistaking, and I could be because i don't know PSA that well, there shouldn't be 2 identical cert numbers. And that is forgetting they are both the "John Doe's" of numbers, 12345678

The odds of that cert # being legit are about one in a hundred million.

And then there is this:

According to the PSA Certification Database, the requested certification number is defined as the following:

ITEM INFORMATION

Cert Verification #: 12345678
Year: 1989
Brand: UPPER DECK
Card Number: 13
Player: GARY SHEFFIELD
Variety: STAR ROOKIE
Grade: GEM MT 10

Population: 1797
Population w/Qual: 0
Sport: BASEBALL CARDS
Population Higher: 0

Jay Wolt
06-12-2015, 06:59 PM
I think PSA gave out the "12345678" #'s to items that didn't warrant a grade, but weren't items that were doctored so "authentic"
wasn't needed.

I had a few Goudey patent cards that had the "12345678" #'s and weren't listed as Authentic nor had a numerical grade.
Was more or less just slabbed for protection & were genuine.

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/12345678b.jpg

Econteachert205
06-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Psa worker: " hey what do I do about stabbing this random collectible?"

Supervisor: " lol someone slabbing an envelope more money for us."

Worker: "how do I catalog it?"

Supervisor: "12345678 lolllolololol evrytiem"

Worker: "really?"

Supervisor: "what could go wrong?"

Jacklitsch
06-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Apparently PSA is not consistent regarding these.

caramelcard
06-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Thank you Jay. That's the info I was looking for and I assumed that's what happened.

I talked with a nice enough guy at PSA. I asked him if PSA grades these envelopes. He didn't know. They would like me to mail the cards to them for review. I'm playing along because i'm kind of amused by all of this. Not sure what they intend to do. Hopefully fix them?

Obviously, I know the items are legit and always have so this is all silliness, but some people have a hard time dealing with a cert number that says 1234567. Probably was a bad idea on their part.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments.

Rob

OFF CENTER TRADING
06-13-2015, 07:40 PM

Believe it or not, by way of mechanical error, it is possible for duplicate certification #'s to exist. I am currently working with PSA to resolve a matter of this nature.

I'm not saying that's the case here (involving a mechanical error), but duplicate cert #'s are a possibility.

OFF CENTER TRADING
06-13-2015, 08:16 PM
Thank you Jay. That's the info I was looking for and I assumed that's what happened.

I talked with a nice enough guy at PSA. I asked him if PSA grades these envelopes. He didn't know. They would like me to mail the cards to them for review. I'm playing along because i'm kind of amused by all of this. Not sure what they intend to do. Hopefully fix them?

Obviously, I know the items are legit and always have so this is all silliness, but some people have a hard time dealing with a cert number that says 1234567. Probably was a bad idea on their part.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments.

Rob

Prior to mailing the items to PSA, you may want to consider contacting someone at PSA who deals more exclusively with the Set Registry and, in particular, item removal requests (since your cert #'s, however silly, don't agree to the cert # database). You may be asked to provide dated scans to verify the existence of your items, but my guess is that these folks would be able to provide a quick explanation for the 1234567 cert.

caramelcard
07-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Just wanted to conclude this thread.

PSA regraded these envelopes at no charge and gave them "real" cert numbers.

So far all you folks assuming that all PSA graded items have cert numbers that match up in their system, obviously that's not the case.

Either way, I appreciate the way in which they handled this problem for me.

Have a good weekend all.

Rob

milkit1
07-10-2015, 12:42 PM
Cool! And good to know I can get mine slabbed :)