PDA

View Full Version : Growing appeal of...eye appeal?

GregMitch34
06-10-2015, 05:02 PM
As you know, PWCC with its new "certified" awards is really pushing premium prices for extra "eye appeal"--vaguely defined, like the famous quote by the Supreme Court justice ("I know it when I see it").

Putting aside any other issues you have with this and with PWCC--is there a growing trend to more value and popularity for especially good-looking or well-centered cards? In other words, is PWCC on to something here? Obviously a small premium has always been evident, but have prices really been going up on premium-looking cards lately?

Econteachert205
06-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Especially true in high value cards graded auth.

swarmee
06-10-2015, 05:53 PM
Yes, the PSA/CU board has been posted very high prices for clean centered mid grade cards that look like 8s and how they're probably 50-60% higher than VCP average for the grade. Not just to bump, but because some of the new money prefers well-centered cards over just the grade on the flip.

Rob D.
06-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Until tonight I didn't know that a card in an SGC 20 holder is considered "high end." So, yes, I think the OP's premise is a sound one.

R0b D3wolf

ullmandds
06-10-2015, 07:12 PM
this concept is not new...people respond to and buy into puffery...which is what this is.

I mean how long have people around here been saying "buy the card" not the holder?!

Leon
06-10-2015, 07:28 PM
I think any grade can be high end but a high end 10 sounds kind of silly to me. And to answer your question, Yes, I think folks are being pickier and willing to pay for quality collectibles. It seems some of the lesser items have fallen but not the really nice ones. That is my perspective, but I have always tried to go for eye appeal over technical grade. (at least in the Luckey Collection I)...and I should note that it's not like I shopped around for this card.......but generally do try for decent eye appeal.

ValKehl
06-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Especially true in high value cards graded auth.

Dennis, I sure hope you are right about this!! The reason being, I currently have this very scarce Mantle card with a beautiful image of Mantle that is graded SGC "A" (because of the way it was cut from a Briggs Meats box) up for auction on eBay. I need to realize as many $$ as I can from this card so that I can bid on more cards in the upcoming Leon Luckey Auction! (Leon - hope you are ok with this bit of shameless promotion!)
Val

MattyC
06-10-2015, 10:46 PM
I think Pete and Leon are dead on. Basically, PWCC is just calling out the cards that so many of us collectors have historically paid premiums for, cards which fit the "buy the card, not the holder" mantra. As has been posted above, this is a trend that's been around for a long, long time.

Collectors used to, and still do, hunt for such diamonds of eye appeal in the rough, so to speak. PWCC is just hanging a lantern on them.

Unnecessary, really, as collectors who aren't impressed by mere sticker grade and who are the type to bid into cards with eye appeal that transcends the sticker grade will do so readily without the lantern. That said, no harm, no foul.

Going back years and years now, we can see VCP data will always contain some beautiful card that is a real anomaly of eye appeal for its grade, and in turn breaks out way over the old VCP average.

The last Clemente RC in REA comes to mind. It was a PSA 4 which wound up selling for PSA 6 money as I recall. There was a stunning e90-1 Shoeless Joe in HA last year that was a "lowly" 1.5, and sold for a few whole grades higher, in terms of historical averages.

But yes, to some extent the secret is out in that more and more collectors are buying the card as opposed to the holder. As a buyer, I think it used to feel that the vast majority would ignore the fact that each card is a unique piece, despite some having the same grade-- and you could almost count on being able to "steal" an exceptional card for its grade for just a hair more than the average looking specimen. But now we are seeing those special cards really close the gap with the next grade up.

GregMitch34
06-11-2015, 05:20 AM
Well, I hope that's all true, as I've always bought for eye appeal and centering...

Should note that PSA bought into this with their .5 grades.....seems like most of the 4.5 and 5.5 get it for centering and general look....

06-11-2015, 05:52 AM
I think Pete and Leon are dead on. Basically, PWCC is just calling out the cards that so many of us collectors have historically paid premiums for, cards which fit the "buy the card, not the holder" mantra. As has been posted above, this is a trend that's been around for a long, long time.

Collectors used to, and still do, hunt for such diamonds of eye appeal in the rough, so to speak. PWCC is just hanging a lantern on them.

Unnecessary, really, as collectors who aren't impressed by mere sticker grade and who are the type to bid into cards with eye appeal that transcends the sticker grade will do so readily without the lantern. That said, no harm, no foul.

Going back years and years now, we can see VCP data will always contain some beautiful card that is a real anomaly of eye appeal for its grade, and in turn breaks out way over the old VCP average.

The last Clemente RC in REA comes to mind. It was a PSA 4 which wound up selling for PSA 6 money as I recall. There was a stunning e90-1 Shoeless Joe in HA last year that was a "lowly" 1.5, and sold for a few whole grades higher, in terms of historical averages.

But yes, to some extent the secret is out in that more and more collectors are buying the card as opposed to the holder. As a buyer, I think it used to feel that the vast majority would ignore the fact that each card is a unique piece, despite some having the same grade-- and you could almost count on being able to "steal" an exceptional card for its grade for just a hair more than the average looking specimen. But now we are seeing those special cards really close the gap with the next grade up.

Is the opposite also true? Have prices come down for technically higher graded cards with less eye appeal (centering, diamond cut, or registration issues)?

MattyC
06-11-2015, 06:59 AM
Good point and I personally would really, really hope so. I don't shop in the high technical grade range myself, so can't really attest to that. Unfortunately what little I do see in the 8-9-10 space seems to indicate that there are enough collectors (or perhaps flippers and Registry players) to essentially "bail out" high numerical stickers even when the card inside doesn't match-- let alone exceed-- the technical grade. Over on the psa boards I couldn't resist flagging what really strikes the eye as a low end psa 9 card, and on its merits as a card it should sell for 8 money. Instead it's already on its way to the 9 area.

Econteachert205
06-11-2015, 07:13 AM
Is the opposite also true? Have prices come down for technically higher graded cards with less eye appeal (centering, diamond cut, or registration issues)?

I think so. I have bought a lot of nm7 oc cards usually mid level stars (think tony perez, Stargell etc) for below ex5 prices.

darwinbulldog
06-11-2015, 11:50 AM
I was happy to buy the qualifier, not the card, on this postwar pair last night:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-9-OC-1964-1965-TOPPS-Phil-Niekro-rookie-2nd-year-cards-/201364562641?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=4UU1%252BMIXaMX3f2xC59xHhWduBgo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

pokerplyr80
06-11-2015, 12:45 PM
I have noticed centered mantles in particular going for high premiums. Not just the 51s and 52s, but late 50s and all his 60s issues as well. It does seem as though more people are adhering to the buy the card not the holder philosophy.

I have also noticed many cards that look off center for the grade sell towards low end of typical ranges. I certainly don't see many wtb posts saying centering and registration are not a priorty. A lot of you have been collecting far longer than myself, but I don't remember centering being as big of a deal a few years ago.

Pat R
06-11-2015, 01:35 PM
I think most people will pay a premium for a card they are looking for
that is much nicer than the technical grade.

MattyC
06-11-2015, 03:40 PM
Holy Cow that's an amazing card for the grade! Nice score!

ls7plus
06-12-2015, 07:20 PM
I think most people will pay a premium for a card they are looking for
that is much nicer than the technical grade.

Absolutely +1!

Regards to all,

Larry

pokerplyr80
06-13-2015, 12:36 AM
That card looks amazing for a 2. Is there something I'm missing to account for the grade?