PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Chris Heston

barrysloate
06-10-2015, 04:44 AM
That was quite a game pitched by the Giants' Chris Heston last night at Citifield, considering he is a young pitcher barely on the baseball radar. And a strange pitching line at that: no hits, no walks, no errors- but he hit three batters. It was fun to watch.

Econteachert205
06-10-2015, 06:13 AM
Watched it. He was dominant in the 9th.

packs
06-10-2015, 07:16 AM
When he hit Recker in the 9th I thought, that's a good way to intimidate them.

gregr2
06-10-2015, 07:26 AM
He played High School ball in the next town over and was coached by the husband of a woman I work with. Surprisingly enough, her and her husband went to that game last night! She is going to be so excited when she gets back.

barrysloate
06-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Heston was brought up as a fill-in until Matt Cain returns. Now the Giants will have to find a place for him. It's amazing how that franchise has become the gold standard of success. As a lifelong fan who suffered through nearly fifty mostly lousy seasons, I couldn't be happier for them.

packs
06-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Thing about Heston though is that all year he has a good outing, then gets bombed. I bet he gives up 10 runs his next start, then maybe pitches a 3 hitter.

Jason
06-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Congrats to Heston he looked great when he was in AA with Richmond I am not surprised. Speaking of Cain, he was in town last night on his rehab assignment. Looked like he is almost ready to be activated. Its turned out to be pretty nice having the Giants farm club in town as crazy as the location is. They always have some talent on the Flying Squirrels roster

DaveW
06-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Great outing from Heston! Unfortunately, he pitched his no hitter while most of the Bay Area was watching the Warriors get trounced in Cleveland. Any other night and it would have been a much bigger topic on the talk radio shows around here.

itjclarke
06-11-2015, 02:21 AM
Congrats to Heston, the first Giants rookie to pitch a no no since Christy Mathewson.

I'm up in Alaska for work, was out of phone coverage much of the day, and amazingly had no idea it had happened when I watched the game on my computer earlier tonight. Amazing! I didn't get to see a Giants no hitter for the first 30+ years of my life, but have no seen 5 in the past 5+ years, including Cain's perfect game in person.

Will be interesting to see how the rotation plays out. Both Heston and Vogey have been pretty strong, though I think Vogey gets bumped first. Peavy is rehabbing now too, but wouldn't prefer him over anyone in this rotation (or Cain).

1952boyntoncollector
06-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Thing about Heston though is that all year he has a good outing, then gets bombed. I bet he gives up 10 runs his next start, then maybe pitches a 3 hitter.

right like matt Harvey......most pitchers have up and down starts...being good just 65 percent of the time is all star...cant dominate every time man..

packs
06-11-2015, 09:26 AM
I just meant it was very pronounced with Heston. I'm not knocking him, it's just interesting that he is alternately dominating and terrible to such a predictable degree. Here are his last 4 starts:

May 23:
5.2 IP, 6 ER, 2K

May 28:
7.1 IP, 0 ER, 6K

June 2:
3.2 IP, 7 ER, 6K

June 9:
9 IP, O ER, 11K

1952boyntoncollector
06-11-2015, 09:36 AM
I just meant it was very pronounced with Heston. I'm not knocking him, it's just interesting that he is alternately dominating and terrible to such a predictable degree. Here are his last 4 starts:

May 23:
5.2 IP, 6 ER, 2K AT Colorado

May 28:
7.1 IP, 0 ER, 6K Atlanta

June 2:
3.2 IP, 7 ER, 6K Pittsburg

June 9:
9 IP, O ER, 11K

who were the opponents and what stadiums...getting shelled in Colorado or versus a very hot Pittsburg team is fine...getting shelled by Atlanta would be different though anything can happen in a small sample size...pretty small sample size all together for up and down...the knicks in the NBA had a 4 or 5 game winning streak against really bad teams than lost 7 in a row ..it not about streaks it was about the opponents......he may be up and down but its pretty normal for most pitcher...but most even with many up and downs..they still get about 65 % good starts in there which could allow them to win 15 games.........still not a good example of up and down cause of who he played...Harvey gave up 7 ER in 2 of his last 4 starts ....so he up and down like 99% of the pitchers..

by the way I would never factor in starts AT Colorado....

last 4 starts for Harvey

At pitt 4 IP 6 H 7 ER 4k
Miami 8 IP 6H 4 ER 11k
Ariz 7 IP 6H 2 ER 9k
SF 6 IP 9H 7 ER 2k

there are many many pitchers that alternative good and bad starts....heck johan Santana through a no hitter than was crushed..sometimes pitchers overextend themselves for 9 innings..so next start are smoked..and others are fresh after pitching 3 innings and getting smoked so their next start they have more energy for a better start......happens all the time...just easy to say a pitcher is up and down.....that applies to almost any starter for a period of time that has success....if a pitcher usually sucks..then that's different....they more down than up....

clydepepper
06-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Congrats to Heston, the first Giants rookie to pitch a no no since Christy Mathewson.

I'm up in Alaska for work, was out of phone coverage much of the day, and amazingly had no idea it had happened when I watched the game on my computer earlier tonight. Amazing! I didn't get to see a Giants no hitter for the first 30+ years of my life, but have no seen 5 in the past 5+ years, including Cain's perfect game in person.

Will be interesting to see how the rotation plays out. Both Heston and Vogey have been pretty strong, though I think Vogey gets bumped first. Peavy is rehabbing now too, but wouldn't prefer him over anyone in this rotation (or Cain).

Actually, the last Giants Rookie to throw a no-hitter was Jeff Tesreau vs. Phillies on September 6, 1912 - Matty's was on July 15, 1901.
/

itjclarke
06-13-2015, 03:25 PM
Actually, the last Giants Rookie to throw a no-hitter was Jeff Tesreau vs. Phillies on September 6, 1912 - Matty's was on July 15, 1901.
/

I'll take it up with Kruk and Kuip, misinforming their loyal fan base.

What an incredible way to start a career, and probably in what would have been the tail end of his dwindling window at the ML rotation. Cain is re-habbing in Richmond, and Peavy is apparently close to coming back. Can't imagine bumping Heston, but if both guys come back healthy, he's odd man out. Think eventually it's Peavy that can't hold the job and Heston keeps his.

1952boyntoncollector
06-14-2015, 07:48 AM
I'll take it up with Kruk and Kuip, misinforming their loyal fan base.

What an incredible way to start a career, and probably in what would have been the tail end of his dwindling window at the ML rotation. Cain is re-habbing in Richmond, and Peavy is apparently close to coming back. Can't imagine bumping Heston, but if both guys come back healthy, he's odd man out. Think eventually it's Peavy that can't hold the job and Heston keeps his.

'if both guys come back healthy' haha we both know neither one of them will be healthy for long...plus theres something wrong with vogelsong...if you pitch well they will find a spot for you...never can have too many pitchers

pclpads
06-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Heston to Vogelsong . . . from the sublime to the ridiculous. :D