PDA

View Full Version : 1951 Giants Season Ticket??

pherbener
06-06-2015, 09:49 PM
I recently purchased a season ticket book from the 1951 Giants. A friend told me he thought they were proofs after I showed him it since there were no section or row listed. I was hoping the experts here might be able to shed some light on this as I didn't think proofs were printed in book form. Thanks, Paul

Scott Garner
06-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Hi Paul,
Welcome to net54!
These are unissued season tickets. Your friend is correct that they are missing some key bits of information that would make them more collectible for a ticket collector.

That being said, depending on how much you spent, they are a cool piece of NY Giants memorabilia from 64 years ago.

ibuysportsephemera
06-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Hi Paul,
Welcome to net54!
These are unissued season tickets. Your friend is correct that they are missing some key bits of information that would make them more collectible for a ticket collector.

That being said, depending on how much you spent, they are a cool piece of NY Giants memorabilia from 64 years ago.

I agree with Scott....this is way cool. Although they are missing some information, I think that it is very valuable as is. IMO, they lose significant value if you "break" it and separate the tickets into individual lots.

Jeff

UnVme7
06-07-2015, 08:47 AM
These are nice, Paul. I'm not really into tickets but I debated going after it when I came across them a few weeks ago

pherbener
06-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys!! It is such a cool item and it's in awesome shape. I've been collecting cards for a long time but only recently got into tickets. It's a fun niche' and I'm enjoying the change of pace.

Gary Dunaier
06-08-2015, 11:26 AM
http://net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=193403&stc=1&d=1433648811

What was the difference between a "seat coupon" and an "admission coupon?"

Scott Garner
06-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Gary,
Good question!
The seat coupon is the portion of the season ticket that the patron would hold onto. The admission coupon is the "audit stub", or portion that the ticket taker would hold onto when you pass through the turnstiles upon admission to the stadium. These stubs were kept to count actual gate admission, then typically thrown away by the team.

I hope this helps...

ibuysportsephemera
06-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Paul,

I am curious....did you buy this with the intent of "breaking" it and selling the individual tickets or just as something for your own collection?

Jeff

pherbener
06-08-2015, 01:42 PM
I was going to keep it whole. I know there are lots of Willie Mays firsts in the book but breaking it up would feel almost sacrilegious. It's in my collection for now, unless a cool Christy Matthewson relic or card comes up for trade! (hint!)

ibuysportsephemera
06-08-2015, 01:44 PM
I was going to keep it whole. I know there are lots of Willie Mays firsts in the book but breaking it up would feel almost sacrilegious. It's in my collection for now, unless a cool Christy Matthewson relic or card comes up for trade! (hint!)

Very cool, congrats on a nice unique addition to your collection.

Jeff

YankeeFan
06-10-2015, 10:21 PM
Very nice pickup Paul. Great addition to your new collecting interest.

pherbener
06-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Thanks Jack!! And thanks for the world series tickets!!

batsballsbases
06-22-2015, 01:55 PM
Paul,
Just noticed in Lelands auction the exact same ticket booklet going up for auction. Lelands lot # 949 might be yours might not but you might want to just keep an eye on it.....

pherbener
06-22-2015, 02:06 PM
Thanks Al!! Not mine, but I will keep an eye on it. Very curious what it goes for!!

Physedteacher25
06-26-2015, 06:41 AM
Nice job, you actually outbid me on this item and not by too much. Nice piece.

pherbener
06-26-2015, 10:19 AM
Thanks Pat.

It's a nice item. The tickets inside are flawless. I just cant bring myself to break it up and get them slabbed. The Mays first homerun ticket alone would be a nice piece.

Paul