PDA

View Full Version : A question on Southern Leaguers (T206)

jrlebert
06-05-2015, 09:49 AM
Hey again all,

In my continued quest to collect/thirst for knowledge of The Monster, I have the following question about SL's with Old Mill (Black) backs:

I know Shag tends to be more expensive, but are there any SL's with OM backs that are more expensive or rarer than others out of the 48?

If so, why are these more expensive or rarer?

Joshchisox08
06-05-2015, 10:00 AM
Brown Old Mill SL backs and I forget think they were taken from the factory floor or something and all HAND CUT.

SHAG appears to be the cream of the crop though. Wonder who he shagged to get that entitlement ?

Laxcat
06-05-2015, 10:12 AM
I just read another thread about this. I don't know how to post it. In sure someone can do it.

Shag- Notre Dame Alum plus Canadian BB and FB HOF. International league prez for like 2 decades.

Foster and Ellam are tougher I believe.

In my quest it has been the guys from the Texas League. Took me a while to find a Bastian that I could live with and I still need Carlos Smith.

insccollectibles
06-05-2015, 10:48 AM
Brown Old Mill SL backs and I forget think they were taken from the factory floor or something and all HAND CUT.

SHAG appears to be the cream of the crop though. Wonder who he shagged to get that entitlement ?

Ha. I don't know for sure but I think the name and he looks like a vampire had something to do with the premium. Although at one time someone could have been hoarding which pushed the price up and it stayed.

Thromdog
06-05-2015, 12:38 PM
Not scientific but I've been active trying to finish my t206 set. Full disclosure that I'm not as much a condition person. I am fine with a presentable fair grade card.

....here's what I have seen.

1. My last 3 to get are Ellam, Reagan, and Paige. I've seen Ellam and Reagan more available than Paige, but the prices haven't been to my liking.
2. Foster is the most expensive aside from Shag, although he is more readily available than Shag. Violat seems to ask a premium too over other SLers
3. Others that have seemed difficult to obtain are Fritz, Bay, Carey, Lipe, Coles
4. In my experience the easiest ones are Molly Miller, Stark, Foley White, Jack Bastian, Thebo, Jimmy Hart. I've owned at some point 6 or 7 different examples of Miller and of Hart in the last 2 years.

Joshchisox08
06-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Not scientific but I've been active trying to finish my t206 set. Full disclosure that I'm not as much a condition person. I am fine with a presentable fair grade card.

....here's what I have seen.

1. My last 3 to get are Ellam, Reagan, and Paige. I've seen Ellam and Reagan more available than Paige, but the prices haven't been to my liking.
2. Foster is the most expensive aside from Shag, although he is more readily available than Shag. Violat seems to ask a premium too over other SLers
3. Others that have seemed difficult to obtain are Fritz, Bay, Carey, Lipe, Coles
4. In my experience the easiest ones are Molly Miller, Stark, Foley White, Jack Bastian, Thebo, Jimmy Hart. I've owned at some point 6 or 7 different examples of Miller and of Hart in the last 2 years.

Any graded dups of Stark ??? I've got a Reagan.

Eric72
06-05-2015, 06:05 PM
...but are there any SL's with OM backs that are more expensive or rarer than others out of the 48?

All 48 Southern League subjects can be found with Old Mill backs. This is one of two back-related constants with this subset of the Monster. More on that later.

T206 Southern Leaguers come in two varieties: those with a corresponding Hindu back and those without.

If the T206 SL in question does have a Hindu counterpart, then the OM back is actually the most common example of that particular player's T206 card. If there is no Hindu counterpart, OM is scarcer than Piedmont.

All 48 subjects are available with either the OM or Piedmont back. This is the other back-related constant.

Hope this helps a little.

Best regards,