PDA

View Full Version : Is this a deal breaker? CJ Ty Cobb edition

iowadoc77
06-02-2015, 02:07 PM
So, I know there is another thread about Legendary Auctions, so lets keep that part out of this, but this is a major bucket list card of mine and it has a significant pink mark on Cobb's sleeve. Most of my collection is not PSA 8 and higher. I have a lot of 2s and 3s and am very happy with them as I get to have a lot more great cards that way. Anyway, just in the form of opinions, is the pink mark a deal breaker on this card?
Thanks in advance for your time

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/ItemImages/000170/170179a_lg.jpeg

ullmandds
06-02-2015, 02:15 PM
not as much as a torn corner!!!!

pawpawdiv9
06-02-2015, 02:17 PM
absoulutly not, great for low budget guys, i in fact bidded on it.

jcmtiger
06-02-2015, 02:19 PM
The card has other problems, so I don't think so.

Joe

Econteachert205
06-02-2015, 02:23 PM
If nothing else about the card bothers you, I don't see why the pink mark would

iowadoc77
06-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the thoughts so far. Definitely what I always appreciate about the members on this board. I know the card is far from perfect, and I appreciate all your input.

glchen
06-02-2015, 03:21 PM
This will always be a tough and very expensive card that a lot of people want (I want one too!). If you want a nicer looking copy, you'll have to pay a lot more. Given that however, you'd still be paying a lot for this card, so you have to find a card that you'd be happy with. Personally, the pink mark or corner rip in the card don't bother me. However, the crease through Cobb's face does bug me, so I may try to hold off for a better copy.

Joshchisox08
06-02-2015, 04:25 PM
So, I know there is another thread about Legendary Auctions, so lets keep that part out of this, but this is a major bucket list card of mine and it has a significant pink mark on Cobb's sleeve. Most of my collection is not PSA 8 and higher. I have a lot of 2s and 3s and am very happy with them as I get to have a lot more great cards that way. Anyway, just in the form of opinions, is the pink mark a deal breaker on this card?
Thanks in advance for your time

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/ItemImages/000170/170179a_lg.jpeg

I focus on t206 exclusively but how much does the Cobb Cracker Jack card usually go for ??? Around the same as a Cobb t206 ??? I like that card a lot.

Eric72
06-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Anyway, just in the form of opinions, is the pink mark a deal breaker on this card?

Hi Eric,

Buy what you like, like what you buy, and leave the rest for everyone else. Ultimately, it's about whether or not the pink mark bothers you.

If the answer is yes, then you should consider passing on the Cobb - or any card, for that matter. Otherwise, you run the risk of regretting your purchase and looking to upgrade almost immediately.

However, if you see yourself enjoying a card despite its imperfections, then make a run at acquiring it.

Of course, take some time to research things such as your budget, the seller, and current market price of the card (when such a thing is applicable) before buying/bidding on anything. Please note that I am speaking in generalities here.

Good luck with your decision and happy collecting.

Best regards,

atx840
06-02-2015, 05:00 PM
For me the crease trumps the mark...still a nice, low grade example.

CW
06-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Considering the grade, and the fact that it's a Cracker Jack Cobb, I think a flaw like that can be expected and accepted. A bigger detractor for me would be the crease through Ty's face. I don't mind creases, and have many cards in low grade, but I try to avoid them if they go across the players face.

Ultimately, it's up to you. If that pink spot will bug you every time you look at the card and take away from your enjoyment, then maybe you can continue the search for an example that fits your bill. Good luck!

rainier2004
06-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Just remember, all CJs are beautiful.

Peter_Spaeth
06-02-2015, 05:37 PM
I would wait I think eventually you will find one with more eye appeal in the same price range.

pokerplyr80
06-02-2015, 07:32 PM
My opinion is that if you have to ask, it's probably a deal breaker for you. It's a hard to find card so I'm sure there's a temptation to settle but personally I would hold out for an example you'll be happier with. Otherwise like someone else said in this thread you may find yourself looking to upgrade soon.

Of course if you can live with it, then go for it.

CW
06-02-2015, 09:39 PM
(From an old thread, but it fits here, too :) )

ValKehl
06-02-2015, 10:27 PM
I'm in the camp of those who are bothered the most by the crease thru Cobb's face. But in your case, my guess is that you will be bothered by the pink mark every time you look at this card, thereby eliminating the joy you would want to get from having this card in your collection. Hence, I suggest you pass on it.
Val