PDA

View Full Version : N162 Keefe, heartbreak

itjclarke
06-02-2015, 01:39 AM
Well, I thought I was psyched to win this N162 Keefe a couple weeks back.

It arrived late last week while I was out of town, was picked up at the PO and just opened tonight. Before opening, I noticed the inner envelope was dinged and would bend to the touch. I prepared for the worst, and opened it to find the SGC case shattered, and the card severely creased, almost torn. IMO, a little piece of cardboard, or some other rigid protection may have helped, however this is now the 3rd or 4th SGC case I've received broken, and is the 2nd in the last week+. One even broke while packed in a very well padded box, but luckily that card was OK. I like the look of these cases and think by all accounts they seem a very good TPG, but I also know I've never received another company's case broken before.

Really, really bummed about this one.

Gobucsmagic74
06-02-2015, 05:47 AM
Wow, that sucks Ian. I've never had that experience with SGC holders before, although I have received cards that were disheveled from the gasket. I'd be surprised if cardboard would have saved this one but who knows. Not sure who I'd be upset with in this case, but obviously it's very unfortunate.

pencil1974
06-02-2015, 05:59 AM
Wow buddy hate to see that!!

06-02-2015, 06:31 AM
This is horrible, and could've been easily prevented by shipping the four-figure card in a box. Bubble mailers just don't cut it these days.

pencil1974
06-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Was it shipped with insurance?

t206blogcom
06-02-2015, 07:19 AM
Beautiful card, but wow that sucks.

I've never had one shatter like that, but I have received numerous slabbed cards by SGC and PSA that slightly crack during shipping. In all cases, sellers simply put the slab in a bubble mailer without any additional cardboard or padding.

bbcard1
06-02-2015, 07:29 AM
To me the merit of the SCG holder is that it is easier to crack as I will normally break out low grade example.

Joshchisox08
06-02-2015, 07:35 AM
WOW I'm sorry such a beautiful card ruined ;(
I would start to question the post office itself if this has happened several times. Perhaps they're the lazy Gov't workers who are sick of delivering packages to you. Sorry man that is the absolute worst thing ever such a great card.

111gecko
06-02-2015, 07:37 AM
That sucks...

I have to say though....who sends high end cards like that in a mailer? Out of professional courtesy, spend the extra $4, put in a box and make sure this doesn't happen.

Amateur hour.....

Bigb13
06-02-2015, 07:46 AM
I have had a couple in my collecting days I think two but both were PSA holders.

vintagehofrookies
06-02-2015, 08:28 AM
I've had hundreds of graded cards shipped to me in just a bubble mailer over the past 15 years and have never had any break like this. For this to happen numerous times and twice within a week, your issue isn't the sender its your PO. I'd go there and bring hell with you as they way they are treating your mail is just unacceptable.

Fred
06-02-2015, 12:04 PM
I've received plenty of cards in the mail (graded by different TPGs). I've never had a broken slab issue. Some cards were shipped in bubble mailers others were shipped in boxes. I guess I 've been lucky.

You are probably the statistical anomaly that is keeping the rest of us from receiving damaged/broken slabs.

I feel your pain with that N162 being so badly damaged. That's one less nicer condtion N162 we have on this earth....

Econteachert205
06-02-2015, 12:08 PM
I get cards in the sleeves in envelopes that almost never get damaged. Like others said this is your post office clearly

pawpawdiv9
06-02-2015, 12:25 PM
I typically use a priorty flat rate box for everything!!!
I did find if the item is over 1200.00 (insurance), it is cheaper to use the registered mail method. Just keep in mind, you cant use the clear tape.
I have had sent Ian a package, well worth 4 figure, and I NEVER would use a bubble for such a card. In fact, take the time and place rigid cardboard and wrap it with some bubble and use old newspaper laying around to pad the box furthermore.
Damn- it also includes 50 dollar insurance & tracking, so why not pay the 5.95 fee!!!

Eggoman
06-02-2015, 01:18 PM
When I ship an item of THAT caliber, I would have shipped it via EXPRESS Mail at NO EXTRA CHARGE to the Buyer! LESS THAN $20.00 INCLUDING FULL INSURANCE and GUARANTEED delivery by 3PM the next day or shipping is free!

Why mess around??? It's STILL $20.00, but in this case - it's ONLY $20.00!

The Seller is USUALLY delighted at the upgrade in service. The package has to be signed for - giving the Seller peace of mind. THAT ALONE makes the $20.00 seem CHEAP!

The card MIGHT have still been ruined, which is STILL tragic enough, but the Seller keeps his $$$ AND the Buyer would have gotten paid by the USPS...

Jacklitsch
06-02-2015, 01:32 PM
I blame the seller.

Who in his/her right mind ships a any card loose in a bubble mailer much less a high value card.

Let the seller deal with the PO. You are entitled to a full refund.

Steve Murray

Eggoman
06-02-2015, 01:56 PM
I blame the seller.

Who in his/her right mind ships a any card loose in a bubble mailer much less a high value card.

Let the seller deal with the PO. You are entitled to a full refund.

Steve Murray

ABSOLUTELY TRUE - on BOTH points!

itjclarke
06-07-2015, 04:24 AM
Been meaning to update, but been super busy the past few days. Anyway, thanks for the comments. I just wanted to let you guys know this is working towards a pretty good ending. The seller and I are working toward a deal that will allow me to keep the card. After the initial disappointment wore off, I realized I'd only be more disappointed sending the card back. The seller (thanks Jason) has offered a very nice/fair partial refund and I'll hang onto the now creased Keefe. Unfortunately, he did not insure the package, so will be eating cost.

Since it's related, I figured I'd attach pics of my other most recent PO damaged cards.. both pretty high dollar cards, and very luckily undamaged when their cases broke. The corner of the case of the T202 was totally shattered (this was shipped in a box!!!!), while the PC's case was cracked and opened up along a seam. When I have time, I will be making a visit to my PO and/or their main office with these pics, to file a complaint. I know this probably won't do any good, but will at least allow me to vent a bit.

mrvster
06-07-2015, 05:34 AM
OMG!!:eek:

HRBAKER
06-07-2015, 10:39 AM
What the h is going on at your PO? Are they using a sledge hammer to cancel the postage?

itjclarke
06-07-2015, 01:46 PM
What the h is going on at your PO? Are they using a sledge hammer to cancel the postage?

It's crazy, the Keefe at least makes sense to me in that the envelope was bent, splitting the case. The T202 Cobb however makes NO SENSE, in that it was in a box with only a minor exterior ding, but the corner of the case is absolutely crushed. The card's corner which was, and amazingly still is razor sharp, was totally exposed in the box when I opened it.

Whatever is going on, it's not my USPS carrier (Peter), who is seriously the nicest and most personable and conscientious postman I've had. We actually text occasionally about stuff he's delivering, or stuff I know is coming. Anything fishy, I would point to a counter guy named Jun who is the worst counter guy I've ever dealt with. A few months back, he was totally unwilling to walk me through and price postage options when shipping cards sold here ("you can't do this here, take too long, you need to do this on computer".. "why you so cheap?"), then greatly overcharged me per package (a PO guy elsewhere charged me less to ship $4500 next day-- $34!, as opposed to first class rate + insurance/tracking Jun had quoted me for $1000 and even lower). The final kicker, when my local PO lost a package for several days (actually that T202 Cobb, which Peter had dropped there after leaving me a notice), they had me call their supervisor office to open a case. I needed a pen to write down names/numbers, but the PO had none in their labeling area, so I grabbed an unused one from Jun's counter. As I'm on the phone writing notes, he starts yelling at me-- "give me my pen back, you can't take my pen!!"). That quickly devolved into one of the few public shouting matches I've had... think most/all have either been at the PO or DMV.. and he threatened to call the police on me. The USPS woman on the phone was appalled and said, "Wow, he shouldn't be acting like that".

This all said, I think this is just a fluky bad streak. As Fred says, I'm the statistical anomaly that's keeping all you guys' cards safe.:cool:

ejharrington
06-07-2015, 02:02 PM
I've had hundreds of graded cards shipped to me in just a bubble mailer over the past 15 years and have never had any break like this. For this to happen numerous times and twice within a week, your issue isn't the sender its your PO. I'd go there and bring hell with you as they way they are treating your mail is just unacceptable.
I 100% agree. If this has happened to you 4 times I think that's evidence enough that someone at the Post Office is doing this, especially if they are damaged to this extent. No doubt in my mind, somebody's screwing with you. Don't blame the seller; call the Postal Auditors to find out what's going on.

itjclarke
06-07-2015, 02:17 PM
I don't think anyone is doing this intentionally. I've received dozens, if not hundreds of packages through this PO. These 3 referenced have the most pronounced damage, all occurring this year (which makes it seem crazier), otherwise most/all arrive safe and on time. I still really like USPS (exception being Jun and any others like him), and use them for anything/everything as opposed to FedEx and UPS.

I will file a complaint and/or talk with someone at supervisory levels, but still cannot imagine this is intentional.

Steve D
06-07-2015, 02:35 PM
I"ve had two cards I've won on ebay, arrive with broken holders. A 1933 Sport Kings Red Grange got to me with a broken case, but the card itself was undamaged. On the other hand, A T206 PSA 4 Southern Leaguer arrived bent in half. The holder had been completely snapped in two across the middle, and the card had a corresponding heavy horizontal crease. Luckily, I contacted the seller and he refunded my money and I returned the card to him.

Steve