PDA

View Full Version : Why did Ernie Banks switch from SS to 1B in 1962?

wilkiebaby11
05-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Looks like he made the permanent switch in 1962.
In 1961 his Fielding Runs Above Replacement was 9 and his fielding percentage was about at his norm for his SS playing days (.965) and above the league average of .959.

Any information would be awesome. No reason for my inquiry other than simple curiosity. Thanks!

turtleguy64
05-28-2015, 10:55 AM
from all accounts that I've read,Banks was troubled by a shoulder injury and was having trouble with the throw from ss to 1st. ergo,the switch.Probably prolonged his career although the knees really started to give out on him in the later years.I think that Durocher thought he was dogging it.But it was the aged knees.

wilkiebaby11
05-28-2015, 10:59 AM
from all accounts that I've read,Banks was troubled by a shoulder injury and was having trouble with the throw from ss to 1st. ergo,the switch.Probably prolonged his career although the knees really started to give out on him in the later years.I think that Durocher thought he was dogging it.But it was the aged knees.

Wikipedia just says that he was having knee problems. I figured that there had to be more since he was statistically still at his current level of play. I was not around at this time... and neither were my parents, haha. I just love learning more about the players from the 40s and 50s and wanted to inquire.

turtleguy64
05-28-2015, 12:21 PM
just to add,when Aaron was playing in negro league for the Indy Clowns in early '50s,many scouts came to look at him.he was playing shortstop.There was one game where scouts from the bigs were in attendance.Aaron looked terrible as a shortstop,refusing to extend his body for out of reach grounders.Opposite him in that game were the Kansas Monarchs.Their shortstop that night was Ernie Banks.He made three errors that game and quickly dismissed as a prospect by those scouts in attendance.
Got all this from the great new book, a compilation of W.C. Heinz columns "Top Of His Game."
And maybe you have heard of this: Yankees had to break the color barrier in '50s.They invited several prospects to the Stadium for a tryout.Two of those prospects were Aaron and Mays.Both were watched by elite scouts of the Yanks and both were dismissed as too flawed for the bigs.Think of that outfield :Mantle,Mays,Aaron !!!!!!!

clydepepper
05-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Speaking of position changes, does anyone else feel bad that Joe Mauer has gone from maybe the second-best hitting catcher ever, to a so-so first-baseman?

I feel a little cheated, and I know it will cost him Cooperstown.

Perhaps the move was too early in his career?

clydepepper
05-28-2015, 01:58 PM
just to add,when Aaron was playing in negro league for the Indy Clowns in early '50s,many scouts came to look at him.he was playing shortstop.There was one game where scouts from the bigs were in attendance.Aaron looked terrible as a shortstop,refusing to extend his body for out of reach grounders.Opposite him in that game were the Kansas Monarchs.Their shortstop that night was Ernie Banks.He made three errors that game and quickly dismissed as a prospect by those scouts in attendance.
Got all this from the great new book, a compilation of W.C. Heinz columns "Top Of His Game."
And maybe you have heard of this: Yankees had to break the color barrier in '50s.They invited several prospects to the Stadium for a tryout.Two of those prospects were Aaron and Mays.Both were watched by elite scouts of the Yanks and both were dismissed as too flawed for the bigs.Think of that outfield :Mantle,Mays,Aaron !!!!!!!

Mickey also started at shortstop...

turtleguy64
05-28-2015, 06:05 PM
you are correct,sir. The Mick as an infielder.Imagine if they had kept him there(in spite of the errors),he never gets near that drain hole in the outfield,covering for Joe D.

gopherfan
06-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Speaking of position changes, does anyone else feel bad that Joe Mauer has gone from maybe the second-best hitting catcher ever, to a so-so first-baseman?

I feel a little cheated, and I know it will cost him Cooperstown.

Perhaps the move was too early in his career?

They moved Joe to prolong his career and keep him in the field. He was getting too many concussions from taking foul balls off his facemask.

He isn't the same player that he was 5 years ago for sure. He has never had much power, but his average was always around .325, and he hit 7-10 HR per year. Now his BA is in the mid .200's, and he has 1 HR. It has been suggested that the move from behind the plate has hurt his hitting. I don't know how.

nolemmings
06-01-2015, 11:19 AM
I still believe he's better than even money to make Cooperstown, so long as he plays full time another 5 years.

clydepepper
06-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Speaking of catchers, I don't know of anyone who has accomplished as much as early as Buster Posey:

(3) World Championships
Batting Title
Most Valuable Player

Even Trout should be jealous!

Mauer's history of concussions was mentioined...isn't it strange that the player who he replaced at first, Justin Mourneau, has also lost significant time to concussions - so maybe he won't be safe there either.

Also on the concussion subject, I shuddered when DBacks phenom Archie Bradley got hit by a line drive. He has not had a good game since...it would be a shame if he would up like Herb Score.

I wonder if more pitchers will finally break down and wear the 'halo hat'.