PDA

View Full Version : Help: Year of Piedmont Match Box

ZernialFan
05-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Hi everyone,
Looking for approx. year of this Piedmont Match Box. I did not do a picture, but scanned the top & bottom with a coin for size. It's intact with striker.
Found it in some stuff after my in-laws died a few years ago. Could not find one ebay when I looked about a week ago for estimate of a price either.

Thanks for any help!
Charlie

slidekellyslide
05-27-2015, 02:43 PM
I have owned a few of these over the years, I always assumed they were from around the T206 era, but I don't believe I could ever find a confirmed date when I researched them.

Howe’s Hunter
05-27-2015, 02:52 PM
Turn the quarter over. It should have a date on it.

(just kidding)

drcy
05-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Let's like that kind of humor to the PSA board.

Jantz
05-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Good question Charlie

Years ago I bought a couple of them and back then didn't find much info about them either. Kind of forgot about my match boxes so I haven't searched lately.

Here is one I own.

1880nonsports
05-27-2015, 10:19 PM
and I actually had the paper wrapper to go with them that held 10 or 20 such packs. I figure late 20's at the earliest but just guessing. Never had time or inclination to try and find out.

Eggoman
05-28-2015, 05:41 AM
Cool Stuff - Here are mine, but I have never been able to date the matches either.

The style and design of the Piedmont Cigarettes slide & shell boxes apparently changed very little. The "Beat-Up" box on the bottom is dated to 1910. The nicer Full Pack of smokes on top has a 1929 overprint on the tax stamp.

Still Cool Stuff!

1880nonsports
01-19-2016, 04:11 PM
I found the paper wrapping that the matches came in. No dates and plain off-white paper. In blue text (looks to be Piedmont blue :-)) it says the following:
"these matches are not furnished free to the retail dealer, but are sold to him below cost on account of the advertising thereon." Looks like it held two rows of five boxes - quite fragile........ 20.00 shipped could likely pry it from my hands :D