PDA

View Full Version : BVG PSA Crossover Question

yankees23
05-23-2015, 06:29 PM
Does anybody know if you send a card in a BVG case to PSA for a crossover grade and put a minimum grade and it is deemed not to meet the requested grade will PSA return the card in the BVG case? Or does PSA need to remove the card to determine the grade?

I plan on sending some BVG 9.5's to PSA in hopes of PSA 10's. Has anybody had luck with this?

Thanks!

cardsfan73
05-23-2015, 10:30 PM
One concern you might have is the fact that BVG will give numeric grades to sheet cut cards while PSA will deem them altered. What cards are you thinking about sending over?

wilkiebaby11
05-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Bumping this because I'm interested as well....

pawpawdiv9
05-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Not an expert on cross-over, as i dont submit barely at all.
But would it be best to crack it out and have PSA give their opinion without them knowing what Beckett graded it? Or is the safety of the card a concern when mailing it?

yankees23
05-24-2015, 10:05 AM
I usually do crack them out and submit but I've only done this with SGC cases and with lower graded cards. I'm concerned with damaging the cards as they are all 9.5's and I've also never opened a BVG case. Also, if PSA will not grade them a 10 it would be nice to not have resubmit to BVG again.
The cards are a Brett RC, Yount RC, and Murray RC.

jb67
05-24-2015, 02:56 PM
I have submitted a BVG card to PSA and asked for minimum grade and they sent it back in the BVG case because it did not meet the grade I asked for.

bnorth
05-24-2015, 03:21 PM
I am not up on grading but doesn't Beckett give the BVG(vintage) cards higher grades than the same exact card graded with regular Beckett. I know they did at first, some BS about the cards being older so they should be graded different.

swarmee
05-24-2015, 07:06 PM
I am not up on grading but doesn't Beckett give the BVG(vintage) cards higher grades than the same exact card graded with regular Beckett. I know they did at first, some BS about the cards being older so they should be graded different.
They may have lessened their centering requirements (the modern cards need excellent centering 51/49 or something to get GEM Mint). PSA only requires 55/45 for PSA 10, so that may be it.

It's BCCG that has the out-of-whack grading scale where VG or better is BCCG 6.

pokerplyr80
05-25-2015, 01:15 PM
According to psa they do not need to crack the card out to determine the grade. If you send in a bvg 9.5 and tell them you don't want it cracked unless it will grade a 10, they will send it back in the bvg holder if it doesn't meet their criteria.

You may have a better chance of getting the 10 if you crack it out yourself, but of course the risk is greater this way.

begsu1013
05-25-2015, 01:42 PM
I have had zero chance of having a bvg 9.5 to cross to a psa 10 submitted in the bvg case.

I have had very moderate luck in cracking out myself and then submitting and getting a 10.

a lot of times there's a reason they are in bvg cases to begin with, ie sheet cut.