PDA

View Full Version : Here Come the Colts Completely Complete

Laxcat
05-21-2015, 12:42 PM
I'm having a hard time finding info on these. I have 24 different. Some Lucky Strikes some Phillips 66 and 2 Pearl. I know a few of them are much harder to get than the rest. I believe this is a complete set but I'm not sure. I have always liked the colors on these.

AustinMike
05-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Matt,

Those are pretty neat. Columbia City has a complete set for sell at

http://www.columbiacitycollectibles.com/menu/baseball/Baseball-List-By-Pro-Team/TM%20-%20Colts%20and%20Colt%2045s_1.html

However, their "complete" set only has 16 booklets.

I guess that makes your set 50% more complete than theirs. :)

Laxcat
05-23-2015, 09:40 AM
Matt,

Those are pretty neat. Columbia City has a complete set for sell at

http://www.columbiacitycollectibles.com/menu/baseball/Baseball-List-By-Pro-Team/TM%20-%20Colts%20and%20Colt%2045s_1.html

However, their "complete" set only has 16 booklets.

I guess that makes your set 50% more complete than theirs. :)

Thanks for the link Mike.
Here is what I know about them. The 16 that are being sold as complete were the ones that were widely distributed. I have learned that some were not released at all!! The only way you could get some of them, I'm guessing the final 8, was to call Steck-Vaughn in Austin. They printed them. I'm not 100% on that but it is what I have managed to find out.

Hopefully someone on here can give me a better answer.

ALR-bishop
05-23-2015, 10:06 AM
The team changed it's name to the Astros in 1965 in conjunction with their move to the Astrodome. The name change was unpopular at the time in Texas. Unlike Washington DC which has some of the strictest gun laws in the country and help lead to the name change from Bullets to Wizards, Texans have never been embarrassed into PC when it comes to guns. Now that they no longer play at the Dome ( and our astronauts these days roam a Russian space station )and moved to the AL, I think there has been some discussion about a further name change

Laxcat
05-23-2015, 10:12 AM
The team changed it's name to the Astros in 1965 in conjunction with their move to the Astrodome. Unlike Washington DC which has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, Texans have never been embarrassed into PC when it comes to guns. Now that they no longer play at the Dome ( and our astronauts these days roam a Russian space station )and moved to the AL, I think there has been some discussion about a further name change

Al,

Can you imagine if they tried to put a gun on anything sports related today?

A little off subject: in HS I was told that I couldn't wear my .45's hat on campus. I told them I was a fan or records! It didn't work.

ALR-bishop
05-23-2015, 12:14 PM
MLB itself might balk, but Texas passed an open carry law ( not sure in governor has signed yet) a day or so after the biker shoot out in Waco. It was not PC that caused the name change in Houston. They love their guns down here...except maybe in Austin :)

Laxcat
05-23-2015, 12:20 PM
I grew up in the most liberal part of the most liberal city in Texas and everyone I knew was still packing!! ��

Laxcat
05-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Just talked to my father, he wrote an article for The Trader Speaks or SCD on these in the 70's. Anyone have backlogs of either?

Zach Wheat
05-26-2015, 04:52 AM
Just talked to my father, he wrote an article for The Trader Speaks or SCD on these in the 70's. Anyone have backlogs of either?

Can you narrow it down any further? Which year would his articles have been written?

Z

Laxcat
05-26-2015, 09:27 AM
Can you narrow it down any further? Which year would his articles have been written?

Z

It was after he got out of the Army so it has to be after 74. He has had a few strokes so him memory is not 100%. He thinks that it wasn't after 1978 because he was too busy with work.

Thanks for your help,
Matt