PDA

View Full Version : Question on authentication companies

Laxcat
05-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Hi y'all. I would like to say that everyone here has been very nice and giving with any and all information that I have sought. Thank you. I don't know what I was expecting but I was pleasantly surprised.

Does anyone ever have an item that they do not want to send in the mail to be certified. Maybe not so much for monetary value but because the item is worth more to you than any insurance could pay? I am asking because I was wondering if there is a place that I could physically take the items myself. I understand it would not be a right there, on the spot, slabbing or even a yes or no answer. I'd be willing to leave the items in their care and return to pick them up when the process is finished. Is this a pipe dream or do the TPG's offer this service. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks as always,
Matt

theshleps
05-17-2015, 01:21 PM
I feel the same. I know occasionally JSA does it in Dallas and if you venture to most of these compnaies offices they will do it

Laxcat
05-17-2015, 01:24 PM
I feel the same. I know occasionally JSA does it in Dallas and if you venture to most of these compnaies offices they will do it
Good to know someone else feels the same. I'm in Austin, born and raised, so Dallas is a day trip. Im relatively new to the grading game. Are there TPG's with satellites in TX?

travrosty
05-17-2015, 04:35 PM
wrap it up and package it so it is fit for the apocalypse and then send it registered mail. its under lock and key the whole time and i would be hard pressed to remember the last time anybody lost something to registered mail. they sent the hope diamond registered mail in a brown package through the usps.

thenavarro
05-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Matt,

On June 13, Spence will be at Beckett in Dallas. His company usually comes down a few times a year. Additionally, if you have items for slabbing, they will be ready the same day if it's someone common in their database, sometimes takes longer for some items. If your items are not for slabbing, you'll get your items back the same day, and your results (LOA's or LOR's) will come in the mail usually two to three weeks later (you'll know that day your results (some items take longer), but your letters won't be printed then, you'll get them in the mail).

You can get cards done by Beckett as well the same day. Feel free to come up and join in. It's fun sitting around talking hobby, and a couple of us will go share a meal while we wait for our stuff. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday.

Anything I want slabbed, I usually just save it up for these visits now. I don't like sending items in to either company via the mail. It's not because I'm afraid to lose it as I used to use Registered Mail via USPS when I did and never had an issue, it's just because I'm impatient and don't like the wait times.

Mike

drcy
05-19-2015, 12:24 PM
PSA appears and card and memorabilia shows. Perhaps they'll appear at one in Austin and you can drop off stuff then. I understand that one reason for wanting to give it in person is it's insured once it's in their hands.

Exhibitman
05-19-2015, 04:03 PM
Everyone is at the National as well. I usually carry in several items for slabbing at the show that I simply do not want to send via any form of carrier. I've only seen this header once in years of collecting, so there was no way I was gonna trust it to shipping once I snagged it:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/interestingexhibitcards/websize/Dempsey%20advertisement.jpg