PDA

View Full Version : "D" Bakery Cards etc.. with respect to M101-4/5 back collecting (T206 PSA SGC BVG)

Leon
05-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Just curious to get other members thoughts on the M101-4/5 Sporting News Issues with respect to collecting their backs. I have always collected the D "Bakery" series cards and other similar series, which are identical except the backs, as in the M101-4/5 back set. Any other thoughts? Here is the ACC page associated with the issue.

http://luckeycards.com/m101b.jpg
http://luckeycards.com/pm101backsmaster2.jpg

ullmandds
05-16-2015, 10:25 AM
I tried getting into them back when I was a junior type collector...but they never excited me...so now I have none!

1880nonsports
05-16-2015, 11:20 AM
hate to ask but what's your new title?

Leon
05-17-2015, 06:58 AM
Well, since that didn't get too many responses I figure some title key word spamming should help. :) It works elsewhere.....

So to carry on the conversation with myself, I always collected all of the Sporting News backs together, as long as they were on M101-4/5 type cards. So the D's, the H's and whatever, are all collected as Sporting News backs. And as far as I know I was missing one type font from Everybody's for a complete back type set.

MMarvelli
05-17-2015, 07:26 AM
That is how I see it too for a full back run. I am only missing one of the four Everybody's, the Gimbel's small block font, and the Erie. I did pick up what was advertized as 'all four Everybody's types' in an auction several years ago. However when they arrived two were the same type. I have been stopped at this point for a year or two. Like most 'runs' when you get down to the last few to complete, your chase slows down.
I didnt reply to your initial post as I couldnt figure out what the actual question was. If at first you dont succeed...edit.

Leon
05-17-2015, 07:39 AM
That is how I see it too for a full back run. I am only missing one of the four Everybody's, the Gimbel's small block font, and the Erie. I did pick up what was advertized as 'all four Everybody's types' in an auction several years ago. However when they arrived two were the same type. I have been stopped at this point for a year or two. Like most 'runs' when you get down to the last few to complete, your chase slows down.
I didnt reply to your initial post as I couldnt figure out what the actual question was. If at first you dont succeed...edit.

Thanks Mark.....yes, the question was how do you collect the backs, with the others or not? I also bought 4 of the Everybody's thinking I had all 4 but it was only 3. I believe the consignor on those might possibly have given the AHs bad info when sold, on purpose.

barrysloate
05-17-2015, 08:08 AM
Leon- which is currently considered the rarest of the advertising backs? I know there are occasional finds which skew the population and make rare ones only very scarce.

MMarvelli
05-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Thanks Mark.....yes, the question was how do you collect the backs, with the others or not? I also bought 4 of the Everybody's thinking I had all 4 but it was only 3. I believe the consignor on those might possibly have given the AHs bad info when sold, on purpose.

On the Everybody's variations they seem to be commonly differentiated by thin, very thin, bold, extra bold which will always confuse. The four distinct types can really only be determined by the variations in the E.

As far as how to collect or catalog the backs, I catalog them both by ACC types (H, D, M, etc.) as well as the 'M-105/4 Family of Backs', which is the same way I catalog the E121 Family of Backs. I think if you arent a back collector then you probably dont care about them as a group of variations.

brianp-beme
05-17-2015, 05:00 PM
I like to group the issues (I don't have any of the real rare backs) together in my collection in M101-4 and M101-5 groupings. It is how many collect the T206 set, without regard to backs. For the needs of my type collection, they are definitely checklisted by their official designations.

Brian