PDA

View Full Version : A Good Story in case you have not heard it:

clydepepper
05-14-2015, 02:01 PM
Tom Walker pitched in the majors from 1972 through 1977 and is the father of Pittsburgh Pirates second-baseman Neil Walker.

After his rookie season in 1972, Walker decided to play winter ball in Puerto Rico, along with Expos pitcher Balor Moore and some members of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Roberto Clemente was their manager. Walker felt fate entered his life when on December 31 Clemente planned to fly in a plane carrying supplies to earthquake victims in Nicaragua. Clemente told Walker and the other players to stay behind and enjoy New Year’s Eve in Puerto Rico.

That night Clemente’s plane burst into flames shortly after take-off and plunged into the dark waters. Walker said he would forever remember that day and how the island was devastated. Clemente’s fellow Puerto Ricans revered him. Out of respect for their fallen hero, the league canceled the balance of the season.

“I can still remember it like yesterday,” Walker said. “We left the airport and it was the last time I ever saw Roberto Clemente. He saved my life by not letting me get on the plane.”

Roberto Clemente gave his life in an attempt to help others and I don't know any other star athlete who has done so.

1963Topps Set
05-15-2015, 07:03 PM
Roberto Clemente gave his life in an attempt to help others and I don't know any other star athlete who has done so.

Interesting (and ironic) you should say that and have Jackie Robinson's name in your signature.

clydepepper
05-16-2015, 01:30 PM
Tom - you are so right!

Jackie's sacrifice made it possible for Roberto, among thousands of others, to pursue the dream of playing baseball as an equal.

I guess what I meant was that Roberto's single act of heroism is singular among great athletes.

I don't know if that further clouds the waters (my intentions) or not.

Both men should be viewed as heroes who sacrificed all for others and BOTH of their lives are measured by that impact.

refz
05-16-2015, 04:31 PM
+1

travrosty
05-16-2015, 07:15 PM
he didnt go into the plane knowing it was going to go down.

1963Topps Set
05-17-2015, 01:02 PM
But Robinson knew what he was getting into..and what he was going to have to deal with... And what the ramifications would be, both positive and negative.

clydepepper
05-17-2015, 02:27 PM
While I believe both of the previous posters have valid points, I do not think that either of these Men would have backed away even had they been fully informed of the dangers that lay ahead.

1963Topps Set
05-17-2015, 04:03 PM
I find it hard to believe Clemente would of taken that flight if he had been told there was a great chance the plane was going to crash. Three previous flights had gotten through successfully, so there was no thought this one wasn't going to get through as well. Clemente only went on this flight to ensure the food supplies would get to the people and not the currupt government. Had the plane not crashed, and Clemente had lived, I doubt we would be talking about this mission at all, unlike Robinson who will be spoken about forever.

clydepepper
05-17-2015, 06:22 PM
Tom - you make a good point.

I will not bash either man.

Other than the fact that they were both great Baseball players, their situations were not very comparable except that their efforts, regardless of their intent, were heroic and stand out among their predecessors, their contemporaries, and, thus far, any of their successors.

They have left a high bar for the rest of us.

howard38
05-17-2015, 06:37 PM
I agree with Tom. Clemente was a great enough player and humanitarian that there is no need to exaggerate his actions. For an athlete that really did sacrifice everything to save others Joe Delaney is a better example:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/29/remembering-joe-delaney-31-years-later/

rsn1661
05-17-2015, 07:41 PM
I had forgotten all about Joe Delaney until now. I think another person who deserves to be mentioned is Pat Tilman of the Arizona Cardinals. I find it hard to believe that he was killed 11 years ago last month.

Laxcat
05-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Delaney is tragic. He couldn't swim but that didn't stop him. I've said it before,and I'll say it a thousand times, Roberto Clemente was an amazing human being. Can it not be said that while not the first Latin player, he was the first Latin Superstar and that he paved the way as well?

Another one that hasn't been mentioned: Jack Lummus MoH Iwo Jima

BTW: always looking for a Jack Lummus auto