PDA

View Full Version : Help requested deciphering signatures and a Jeter question

Bossfan
05-14-2015, 01:38 PM
I bought a lot of baseballs at an auction and they were all identified only as "autographed baseballs." It appears that the consignor lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area and got both home and visiting players to sign at Mariners and Rainers games. I suspect they were obtained in the late 90's. I'd appreciate your thoughts as to who some of the signers are.

The first is a Budig ball and, as you can see from the first of the five pics, the owner wrote the score of the game, which was one of the final Mariners games in the Kingdome in 1999. I think one of the signatures is Alvin Davis, who wasn't on the team at the time. In the third pic I recognize Freddy Garcia, in the fourth I think it's Alvin Davis, and of course Griffey, Jr. which looks real to me (tell me if I'm wrong). I'm stumped on the others.

Then there's a Mariners souvenir ball. I recognize Randy Johnson's signature, which has bled and faded tremendously. No clue about the others.

There were a few single signed balls. I could recognize the Jeter signature and it looks good to me (although the ball is in terrible condition) but I'd appreciate your thoughts. The next is on an Official League ball and it could have been just an open marker in the same bag as the ball. The next one is a Pacific Coast League baseball. The last one is on a Budig baseball. There are more, which I may post later, but I don't want to overdo it. Thanks for all your help!

joed25
05-14-2015, 02:49 PM
Jeter is real. Pm me if its for sale.

yanksfan09
05-14-2015, 06:55 PM
The picture just to the right of Griffey shows Sterling Hitchcock, not sure of others though. The final lower right picture appears to be a rushed in person A-Rod.

dgo71
05-14-2015, 08:11 PM
#1 – Tom Lampkin.
#3 – Bottom signature looks like Jeff Zimmerman, although he was a Texas Ranger at that time. His brother Jordan was with Seattle so it could possibly be him.
#6 – Chris Bosio on top, Hitchcock on bottom
#7 – Blas Minor, John Marzano, Joey Cora
#8 – Rusty Meacham, Lee Guetterman, Big Unit

Bossfan
05-15-2015, 06:39 AM
You guys are amazing!

dgo71
05-15-2015, 10:53 AM
I believe the single ball after Jeter is Jay Buhner, upside down.

MacDice
05-15-2015, 04:19 PM
I agree with dgo71 on his assessments.

Ball #2: bottom signature is Charles Gipson
Ball #4: In the middle looks like Freddy Garcia (but he never wore that number in Seattle), Alvin Davis is on the bottom
Ball #5 above Junior, is Alvin Davis and again looks like Freddy Garcia at the top.
Ball #6: Raul Ibanez maybe below Bosio.
Ball #12: Could be a rushed early / rushed A-Rod signature

whitehse
05-15-2015, 07:02 PM
Bottom row left looks to be Jim Thome.

To the right of Jeter looks like a Daryll Strawberry but cannot be sure.

Luke
05-15-2015, 11:46 PM
1. Tom Lampkin
2. Charles Gipson
3. Jeff Zimmerman
4. Juan Gonzalez
Freddy Garcia
Not Sure
Alvin Davis
5. Freddy Garcia
Not sure, but same guy is on ball #4
Alvin Davis