PDA

View Full Version : Topps Venezuelan - To Soak or not to Soak?

Bestdj777
05-13-2015, 09:36 PM
I picked up a 1966 Topps Venezuelan with a bit of scrap book residue on the back. Apart from this, the card is in terrific shape. My question is, has anyone tried soaking a Venezuelan? If so, how did you do it, what were the results, and do you recommend doing so here? Given the poor paper quality--and the fact that I have never soaked a card before--I am hesitant to try it here. But, if it worked, it would do wonders to the card. Thanks in advance!

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Nzg4WDEwODY=/z/la0AAOSwymxVRsW0/$_12.JPG

KCRfan1
05-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Chris, if you are reluctant to tackle this on your own, I suggest you talk to Dick Towle ( Gone with the stain ). He may be able to work some magic with this Mantle. You will need to send him pics so he knows what to expect. Good Luck!!!!

Bestdj777
05-13-2015, 09:47 PM
Chris, if you are reluctant to tackle this on your own, I suggest you talk to Dick Towle ( Gone with the stain ). He may be able to work some magic with this Mantle. You will need to send him pics so he knows what to expect. Good Luck!!!!

Thank you. I've spoken to him before and it is $75 minimum to have any work done on a Mantle, so I don't think there is a enough upside here to make it worth sending it out.

a761506
05-13-2015, 10:07 PM
That doesn't look like just album paper, it looks like part of the back of the card is torn off.

Bestdj777
05-14-2015, 05:53 AM
Thanks Josh. I don't have it in hand yet and was optimistic that the two darker spots weren't paper loss. To the extent it is not, do you know if these can be soaked?

brewing
05-14-2015, 08:04 AM
That doesn't look like just album paper, it looks like part of the back of the card is torn off.

I agree.

begsu1013
05-14-2015, 03:26 PM
I would lean towards paper loss as well considering it's a venezuelan, but interesting thoughts regardless...

a few questions on soaking:

can psa determine if a card has been soaked?
if so, do they just grade "authentic" w/ altered line?
has anyone slide one past the goalie after soaking?

I have a few cards that have this issue and have always contemplated what exactly to do...

Econteachert205
05-14-2015, 03:59 PM
The edges look like extra paper but the center looks like paper loss. I'd leave it be.

swarmee
05-14-2015, 04:22 PM
can psa determine if a card has been soaked?
if so, do they just grade "authentic" w/ altered line?
has anyone slide one past the goalie after soaking?

As long as you only use water (no bleach/solution), it's not a negative to a card. It's very common on T206s since they're normally dirty from 100 years of being handled; check out the thread on the Pre-war board talking about all the different sets they soak, and then send in to PSA and SGC.

Using some type of solution would make it altered. Using services like "Gone With The Stain" presuming he uses more than water would be deemed altered if detected by the TPG. Never done it myself, but considering it with a card I see on eBay right now (low value T207, but one I want).

Bestdj777
05-14-2015, 08:22 PM
I agree.

Thanks guys. Either way, I am happy with the card. If it arrives and I can get some of the paper off, all the better.

begsu1013
05-14-2015, 08:56 PM
dj,

is that the same 66 that's in the pick up thread? it's a very nice example regardless of whether it's paper loss or not. fingers crossed it's not...

keep us updated, especially if you decide to soak...

be sure to try a common first before dunking that mantle

Bestdj777
05-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Thanks Bob. It is the same one. The front was in such great shape--and the price was right--so I figured I would take a chance on it. I have another 1966, so if it doesn't come off it's no great loss. I'll definitely keep everyone in the loop.

Has anyone soaked a Venezuelan? The paper quality has me a little concerned.

alfredoleal2001
05-14-2015, 09:27 PM
Ive never done anything like this with mine, Id actually never thought about it and had never heard of it. Id be afraid to do it especially with a Mantle!!!! What would you use to rub it with??? I could try with some dupes and see what happens

begsu1013
05-14-2015, 09:27 PM
I hadn't, but that's why I was advising to purchase a low grade common or something first and try a test run...

we know the paper is a little inferior compared to reg topps, but what about the ink as well?

I've never soaked a card, intentionally atleast, so I am really curious to the results!!

Bestdj777
05-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Thanks. If it turns out it isn't paper loss, I'll likely pick up a low grade common and experiment.

Alfredo, you typically submerge the card in distilled water, let it soak for an hour or two, and then tag a q-tip to it and try to gently brush away the paper. I've seen it done a lot for T206 cards and other tobacco cards, but ever card issue is a little different. You run the risk of the card falling completely apart, which is a major concern given how fragile these are. I'll look for a beater to try it on first I guess.