PDA

View Full Version : Any Computer Experts Here?

Paul S
05-12-2015, 11:01 AM
As I type from my public library:

My laptop was on all night. Never had a problem with that.
Wake up this morning and all is good until programs began to "hang".
I shut it down.
When I reboot I get the routine TOSHIBA splash.
Then it asks for a password.
I can't get beyond that.
F2 and F12 won't work.

I bought it used almost 5 years ago from a person who buys from businesses who are updating their systems. The password request is very corporate looking, i.e., black screen with narrow rectangular box for PW.

Yes, I am one of those people who actually has a recent sytem-repair/boot disk. Computer won't accept it upon reboot because because the password request screen showe up.

Any suggestions before I have to go the Geek Squad route?

*I'm leaving the library now (Nice Librarians here, no sshhhhh-ing). I think will return later to check in. If you think you can talk me through please PM me your number.*

Thanks in advance for all help.

Leon
05-13-2015, 07:51 AM
I should be more technical than I am but so be it. That being said, sometimes you can remove the large computer battery for a few minutes, put it back in, and it will be reset. It doesn't always work but when I get my computer hung up it has worked many times.

DaClyde
05-13-2015, 08:30 AM
Sounds like a boot password has been set in the BIOS. Check for documentation on Toshiba's website for your model laptop and pray there is some option for resetting the BIOS without having to replace the motherboard. Did anyone else have access to the laptop? Do you run any antivirus or firewall software?

daywalker2029
05-14-2015, 03:18 AM
you can try resetting the BIOS to default by removing the CMOS battery (the round shiny battery that looks like a dime on the system board) for a few minutes and then putting it back in

daywalker2029
05-14-2015, 03:20 AM
if it was from a business their IT department may have set a bit-locker PW - if that's the case there is no way around it unless you have the PW

Paul S
05-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Thanks very much to responders. I'll try all that when I get home from the library later.