PDA

View Full Version : MLB voting of "Greatest"

Touch'EmAll
05-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Ending May 8th is the official MLB voting for Greatest Living Player.

Here is my take: Great pitching most usually dominates great hitting. And there is a difference between Best and Greatest. Read into that what you will. However, my vote is for Nolan Ryan, and Bo Jackson was a close second. When "on" who was greater than Ryan? And when playing, who was greater than Bo (some say he was greatest all around athlete ever).

Who did you all vote for?

clydepepper
05-06-2015, 05:14 PM
I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan, but he is not the greatest living pitcher as long as Koufax, Gibson, Marichal, and Seaver are still kicking. For one game, I'd take Gibson over anyone and for ONE specific game, I'll go with Kerry Wood.

Hard to argue against Bo Jackson being the greatest multi-major sports player, though Christy Mathewson was known to be a great checkers player & I hear that Tris Speaker dominated the Florida shuffleboard scene in retirement.

Touch'EmAll
05-08-2015, 03:48 PM
A just released panel of "experts" voted their 4 best living players - Aaron and Mays were tops, but one write in vote from expert for Ryan.

He mentions how many more wins Ryan would have had if he played on better teams and had better than pathetic bullpen support. Can you imagine the win totals if Ryan played on the Orioles back then like Palmer, or on the A's like Catfish? Or Yankees or Reds?Dare I suggest easy over 400 wins.

He pitched 27 years. Has the lowest hits per game of anyone…ever, sorry Koufax you are second here. Most no-hitters by far of anyone…ever. Fastest pitcher of anyone…ever. Highest prices for cards of anyone in his era. First million dollar MLB contract ever (don't the best players make most money?). I could go on, and on, but while I may not say best, certainly the greatest !

bnorth
05-08-2015, 04:51 PM
A just released panel of "experts" voted their 4 best living players - Aaron and Mays were tops, but one write in vote from expert for Ryan.

I saw that and it amazed me that Pedro was on so man lists. Top 40 maybe, but no way is he top 4.

For me the top 4 are Aaron, Mays, Rose, and Clemens.