PDA

View Full Version : Great Finds II

Huysmans
05-05-2015, 07:15 AM
This thread was started in the Prewar card forum, and I thought it would be great to see what memorabilia has also been found for a steal. I'd also love to hear stories about items found and located in the most unlikely of places...

I'll start it off with this 1890's Reach catchers mask that showed up one day at a local flea market. It was freshly picked from a Victorian home here in the city, and it was found with some additional cool items, like 2 pairs of turn-of-the-century boxing gloves, and a pair of unique roller skates with an English 1870's patent on them. The mask is one of the nicest I've seen. All original with just light honest wear. The Reach stamp looks like it was placed there yesterday. I'm not sure what its worth, but I know it was a huge deal at 40$.

The second find I'm listing is this 1901 Vancouver Base Ball Club ribbon. Again, not sure of it's value, but I was more than happy to have it for 10$.
Lets see what others have!

Huysmans
05-05-2015, 07:17 AM
Second pic...

Huysmans
05-05-2015, 07:18 AM
3rd pic...

murphusa
05-05-2015, 08:20 AM
I have no idea about the ribbon but I would think the mask would bring $2,500 or more in that condition. Others may disagree but that's my two cents

Bpm0014
05-05-2015, 08:21 AM
In the mid 90's while still in high school, I worked a summer job doing landscaping. To make a long story short, we landscaped the home of the person who tore down Forbes Field in the early 70's. My boss at the time knew that I was a baseball fan and told me that he knew of the landfill where thousands of Forbes Field seats were (and still are). Well, one Saturday he took me there and I put as many pieces/seats/scraps into my car as I could, and built 4 seats from them. I sold 2 and still have 2 today. I'll post pics when I can. From what I remember, there were still hundreds (if not thousands) of old Forbes Field seats in this landfill....

vintagesportscollector
05-05-2015, 10:55 AM
That mask is about as nice a condition that I can recall seeing. Wow. Hard to believe there is barely any age showing on the metal and leather. You can date that mask from 1890 to 1910, but based on the Reach stamp I would say closer to 1905 -1910. Great condition but not a rare style mask. In Good condition it is a $200 mask. I would estimate $600-800 for this mask. (but I might not value the condition as much as others). Great Find!!

perezfan
05-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Congrats on the Mask and Ribbon. Unbelievable buys on both :)

That forehead pad (with buckle strap) is rarely found in tact and uncompromised. At auction, I could see the mask climbing into the 4 figure range, if two spirited bidders went at it. There ae some collectors out there who want the best examples extant, and are "condition freaks". And this could easily be the most pristine surviving example of this style mask. Only thing better is if they would've saved the original Reach Box ;)

Huysmans
05-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the opinions and info guys! Joe & Mark - Yeah, it looks like it was used for a few games a few weeks ago and that's it. Everything is nice and clean and all the leather pads are soft and supple. I was really stoked to find it. Thanks again for the info.

slidekellyslide
05-05-2015, 10:24 PM
I bought a Tris Speaker game used bat at a local auction for $50. Easily my best memorabilia score.

Link to thread on the old board...I actually had no idea it was a gamer when I bought it.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=67217&highlight=speaker+bushing