PDA

View Full Version : 1927 Program Signed by Rusie, Welch and McGinnity

bender07
04-30-2015, 12:19 PM
I'm always skeptical of finds like this being authentic. I would have guessed that this item would have gone for more than $10K. Am I wrong and the price is spot on or were potential bidders skeptical as well?

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2015_spring/18.html

tazdmb
04-30-2015, 01:31 PM
I was talking with another long time collector and we both agreed that these signatures and story were highly suspect. That being said, the Vic Willis and Charleston/Wilkinson pieces, which seem very credible, both went for lower than I expected, so who really knows. Maybe a mix of both. Meanwhile, $5k for a Mordecai Brown unmailed postcard....

bender07
04-30-2015, 01:48 PM
I was talking with another long time collector and we both agreed that these signatures and story were highly suspect. That being said, the Vic Willis and Charleston/Wilkinson pieces, which seem very credible, both went for lower than I expected, so who really knows. Maybe a mix of both. Meanwhile, $5k for a Mordecai Brown unmailed postcard....

I forgot about that Brown. I saw it at $2K early on and thought that was nuts but never went back after the auction. Wow.

prewarsports
04-30-2015, 03:19 PM
I think the price absolutely reflects skepticism. An authentic Mickey Welch alone (on say a check or legal document) should be a $15,000-$20,000 autograph.

mighty bombjack
04-30-2015, 10:16 PM
I agree and was skeptical myself upon inspecting the item. A scorecard with authentic autos of those guys should get more than this, no doubt.

It could be real, but we are clearly not the only skeptics.