PDA

View Full Version : There will be a pretty good type card collection coming to auction....

Leon
04-30-2015, 08:24 AM
In order to pay for my daughter's SMU experience, which she is starting this year, I am selling my card and ephemera collection in (mostly) it's entirety. I am keeping hobby publications, generic baseball RPPCs and my 1903 Horner Composite as well as a few nice, old photos. It will be done through Heritage, as a stand along catalog auction, during and right after the National. It will end lot by lot on a single night approximately 2 weeks after the National this year. It will be open for bidding during the National.

The stand alone catalog will ship with the Heritage Platinum night catalog in around 2 to 2 1/2 months. It will be a no reserve auction. I am still collecting (*having started the Luckey Collection II already). The board will continue as it is. If you like it today you still will. And if you don't like it today, you still won't. It's been an agonizing decision but is one that has had much thought given to it. It should be interesting.

e107collector
04-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Leon,

I'm sure that was a tough decision. In regards to your daughters education and future, I'm sure it will be well worth it!!

Best of luck!!

Tony

Zan
04-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Good luck in the auction, and sorry to see some pieces go, but interested to see what will be coming next

ullmandds
04-30-2015, 08:37 AM
the dream of completing the ACC is dead??????

rjackson44
04-30-2015, 08:38 AM
good choice leon as a type collector I will keep an eye best of luck

scooter729
04-30-2015, 08:38 AM
Best of luck with the sales - it's just cardboard, right? I'm sure it's a tough decision process, but family and education certainly are excellent priorities!!

I'm sure the Luckey Collection Part Deux will be up and speeding along in no time!

glenv
04-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Leon, sorry to hear this news. Hopefully your daughter never forgets this, and puts you in a nice retirement home when you get old! :eek:

packs
04-30-2015, 08:41 AM
As someone with outstanding student loans, you are doing a really great thing for your daughter.

Vintagecatcher
04-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Leon,

Best of luck with the auction!

I'll try to help if a certain 1915 Zeenut with coupon isn't buried in a huge lot.

Best wishes,

Patrick

clydepepper
04-30-2015, 08:43 AM
Leon - If I manage to win anything that you hold dear, I will be a good steward for it and an appreciative owner.

Best of Luck to you, my friend! Having sold off my collection in its entirety three times already (albeit much, much less grand than yours must be), I realize that it is not an easy decision. And your reason for liquidating is far better than mine were- mainly out-purchasing my paychecks.

-Raymond

- oh, and please send me a catalog when it's available. :)

Stonepony
04-30-2015, 08:51 AM
We are all just transient sentinels of our collections which ultimately will be passed on to others. What is mine now, will ultimately be yours and vice-versa. Its a reality of collecting that makes me smile. Good luck with your auction, your items will be well cared for!

Paul S
04-30-2015, 08:53 AM
Leon, sorry to hear this news. Hopefully your daughter never forgets this, and puts you in a nice retirement home when you get old! :eek:

Wow! Leon:eek:

And yes, his daughter will sell the Luckey II Collection to fund him in the retirement home.

bbcard1
04-30-2015, 09:00 AM
I am sure you've thought of this, but be aggressive in applying for the scholarships. SMU has a good endowment and is pretty generous as a rule.

bn2cardz
04-30-2015, 09:05 AM
I would like a catalog.

Am I safe in thinking that this can act as a preview then?

http://www.luckeycards.com/personal.html

barrysloate
04-30-2015, 09:08 AM
The day after the auction, someone is going to offer Leon a D355!

Good luck with the sale Leon. I've known about this decision for a while now and look forward to seeing how it all pans out.

iowadoc77
04-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Very neat thing to do Leon. Very happy to hear that you are not getting out of it altogether. I am hoping to get a catalog just for the sheer amount of knowledge I can gain from reading it. You are a great part of this great hobby (and it would seem a great dad!)

BruceinGa
04-30-2015, 09:17 AM
It's all about priorities! Good luck Leon.

Leon
04-30-2015, 09:19 AM
I would like a catalog.

Am I safe in thinking that this can act as a preview then?

http://www.luckeycards.com/personal.html

All members who want a catalog will get one. You might have to ask but you will get one.

As for the url, that is fairly accurate but I will disclaim and say it could change (though I don't expect it to). There could be a few very minor items not being sold and a few added. But the goal is/was to memorialize it so I wanted everything in there, which I am not continuing to collect. As mentioned, everything is going. I am keeping the hobby pubs, generic baseball RPPCs and a few old 1800s photos. And didn't want to take the only thing on my office walls down (1903 Horner), so didn't. Also, I am NOT saying I am not going back to type collecting. I am quite sure I will in some form or fashion. The thrill of the hunt is awesome.

To answer Pete, yeap, a few short for a complete 1900-1949 type set...but pretty close. And there were probably a couple I didn't even get as they are commonly available. I knew the D351 and D355 would be difficult. Those are the only 2 real ones I feel I didn't get.

To answer another question, the early Zeenuts with coupons (say, before 1923'ish) will be sold individually. That being said there will have to be some groups of things as the printing is what it is. (expensive)

ps..One other thing, the reason I am making this known now is because several hobby friends have known about it, as well as quite a few others, and I didn't want it being something spoken about behind the scenes as if it were a complete secret, bad or mysterious. It's much better to be open, imho.

Sean
04-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Best of luck to your daughter Leon.

And I can't wait to see this catalog (and Johnny's reaction when he realizes that his dream scrap and his dream proof will soon be available). :D:eek::D

smokelessjoe
04-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Wow Leon! What a great thing you are doing for your daughter... Great School as well! I am biased though...

My Great Grand Father is Roy R Ray who was Director of the Academy of American Law program...

I did get to meet him several times but he was up there in age. I helped my grandmother clean out his house and I remember all these law books etc... I had asked my grandmother (I was a kid) if I could have a giant map that was on the wall (it actually looked as if it was built into the wall) and she said "if you can get it down you can have it". Its now over my fireplace... I also drove his 1971 Grand Mercury Marquis to school, my first car "The Tank"...

Anyway, probably more than you wanted to know...

Here is a little Bio:

Roy R. Ray Lecture Series
Established 1970

History

The Roy R. Ray Lecture Series was established through an endowment funded by the late Professor Roy Robert Ray. Previous lectures have included: Linda Greenhouse, Pulitzer Prize winning journalist and U.S. Supreme Court correspondent for the New York Times; Lawrence Lokken, Hugh Culverhouse Eminent Scholar in Taxation and Professor Emeritus at the University of Florida Levin College of Law; Helen M. Hubbard, former Tax Legislative Counsel for the Office of Tax Policy at the U.S. Department of Treasury.

Roy Ray received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Centre College and his law degree with distinction from the University of Kentucky. He was appointed Research Fellow at the University of Michigan and received the degree of Doctor of Judicial Science.

Professor Ray joined the SMU law faculty in 1929; four years after the law school opened its doors. While at SMU, he established and served as the Director of the Academy of American Law program in the law school from 1955 to 1959. During the spring of 1966, Professor Ray was a Fulbright Exchange Professor at the Graduate School of Law at Seoul National University in Korea. Following his retirement in 1967, he continued to teach full time as professor emeritus for three more years. In total, and except for temporary visits and leave during the war, Professor Ray served the law school and university for 41 years.

Professor Ray is well-known for his significant contribution to the literature in torts and evidence. However, perhaps his most enduring legacy is the treatise on the Texas Law of Evidence, first co-authored with Dean Charles T. McCormick of the University of Texas at Austin, and a second edition with Professor William F. Young of the University of Texas at Austin.

Rich Klein
04-30-2015, 09:41 AM
I can think of a local show where you can do show and tell and maybe get some bites :)

blackandgold
04-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Hi Leon,
Best of luck with the auction. I will definitely be requesting a catalog and crossing my fingers that the one item I want is available.

oldjudge
04-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Good luck with the sale, and more importantly, good luck to your daughter at SMU.

Paul S
04-30-2015, 10:13 AM
Hey, I imagine you are you going to get your own personalized flips(?) "Luckey Daughter College Fund Collection?

Leon
04-30-2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the kind wishes folks.
As is expected I have gotten a few very kind emails also. They are appreciated. Board members and hobby friends are some great people. Some emails are from friends asking about odds and ends in the collection. Let me make it more clear, everything is at Heritage and is being sold in the catalog auction. All of the tobacco packs and ephemera, all of the caramel packs and ephemera, everything. The reason I him-hawed a bit earlier is right when I say "everything" with no disclaimer, someone will find a Lowney's candy wrapper not in the auction. (For those not in the know, Lowney's are quite common and can be had for a buck or less sometimes.). I am not sure how I can be more clear. :) I hope my eye for some of the neatest cards, packs and ephemera was good. I guess we'll see. There are so many unique, and near unique items, it really will be interesting (and a tiny bit hair-raising for me).

No, a personalized flip isn't in the picture. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it's just not me. And no, any coin seen in a scan won't be in auction (though they could be for sale if you ask :))

Jobu
04-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Awesome move for your daughter - an education is an excellent use for your excellent collection.

Will the US coins in your scans be included in the lots? :D

Jay Wolt
04-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Leon, Good luck w/ the auction!

Republicaninmass
04-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Best of luck with the auction

glchen
04-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Holy cow! Are all of your Ruth cards going into the catalog also? I know that even though you weren't a Ruth collector, you had a substantial collection there. Good luck with your sale!

timzcardz
04-30-2015, 11:09 AM
You're a good man, Leon, but that's nothing new.

Best wishes with the auction, and I know that you daughter's graduation will be something very special.

mybuddyinc
04-30-2015, 11:15 AM
".... say it ain't so, Leon."

Seriously, a better use of money can't be found: Education.

04-30-2015, 11:18 AM
Leon, your love of family over possessions is very heartwarming. I hope that your unparalleled type collection brings record prices, and I wish your daughter great success!

bn2cardz
04-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Considering you own your own auction house, how did you make the decision to go with Heritage?

GoldenAge50s
04-30-2015, 11:27 AM
My BEST to you, Leon, for great auction results, and to your daughter, for a great education!

nolemmings
04-30-2015, 11:31 AM
and a tiny bit hair-raising for me

Isn't that a good thing, Leon? :D

Best of luck to you and your daughter. Am going through the same thing myself, although I got the jump on you and already have liquidated a lot of what was at most a far inferior collection to yours. Hopefully my daughter will come visit me under the bridge after her degree(s).

Leon
04-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Considering you own your own auction house, how did you make the decision to go with Heritage?

We don't do catalogs (yes, I could figure it out) but mostly I feel an arm's length sale is better. Heritage will do a great job and no company has been more supportive of Net54baseball especially with their Net54baseball Dinner sponsorship. Plus I have several good hobby friends that work there and they are in my back yard, so to speak. All of our advertisers could have done a great job. :)

egri
04-30-2015, 11:45 AM
Leon,

Sorry to hear you're breaking up your collection, but I'm glad it's going to a good cause. My cousin is in the SMU class of 2017, and he loves it down there. I guess George and Laura Bush live nearby, so he sees them every now and then on campus.

CW
04-30-2015, 12:39 PM
TAnd no, any coin seen in a scan won't be in auction (though they could be for sale if you ask :))

Answered my question, thanks. :)

But seriously, it would be cool to see at least one or two scans with a coin next to the card, maybe as a small tribute to the way you shared your collection. Just a thought.

Congrats on taking the next step in life and setting priorities, Leon. I wish your daughter well at school, and I wish you well in your next collecting journey.

bigtrain
04-30-2015, 12:49 PM
Best of luck with the sale. It goes without saying that your daughter is a very lucky Luckey girl and I am sure that she appreciates your sacrifice and having a great Dad.

baseball tourist
04-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Best wishes for a tremendously successful sale Leon. Many, including me will benefit from the reminder of where one's priorities are and might be.

mrvster
04-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Leon.....WOW.....JUST WOW!:eek:

I AM SPEECHLESS:eek:

DeanH3
04-30-2015, 01:41 PM
Good luck with the sale Leon. Glad I got my Leon Lucky pedigree card already. There's going to be some aggressive bidding for many of your cards.

chipperhank44
04-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Wow Leon!! I'm not sure what I'm more excited about: Bidding on collection #1 or watching you amass collection #2.

I'm glad to see you've made a decision about how to part with your collection and that, most importantly, you're happy with it! The catalog will be epic and a lasting tribute to an incredible collection.

MVSNYC
04-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Wow! good luck, Leon.

Approximately how many cards make up your type collection?

Leon
04-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Good luck with the sale Leon. Glad I got my Leon Lucky pedigree card already. There's going to be some aggressive bidding for many of your cards. Thanks Dean. And if I remember correctly it was one of these Cobby's that unseated the card you garnered.

autograf
04-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Was hoping you would have the cards pedigreed something like below...........

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Q6dM7cvP8Sk/VUKV71D1DbI/AAAAAAAArWM/L1l8WjKaMyI/s800/leon.jpg

All seriousness aside.......good luck with the sale. I will be bidding. Always knew somewhere deep down you had your head screwed on straight. Good luck to your daughter at SMU.....

pawpawdiv9
04-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Shitz Shamoney, Leon!
I am interested in seeing what is in it, may not be able to afford anything, but love seeing what an experieced collector has treasure troved over their many years.
It has to be hard Leon, parting with things you put hard work into, but then again its just things (cardboard) and its paying for an education which is very important.
It been something else to come and say its too pay off from buying the Wagner on REA, joking aside, I wonder if each picture will have a quarter next to it??

Jacker_ Cracks
04-30-2015, 03:07 PM
Leon,
Best of luck to you and your daughter. You are a good man and father!

prewarsports
04-30-2015, 03:16 PM
Best of luck with the sale. I am sure that the items will do well and your daughter is lucky to have a dad who would do that for her!

Rhys

1880nonsports
04-30-2015, 03:37 PM
a sad and happy moment all at the same time. Pretty sure there's a pack I want but won't get so I can emotionally share with you on both sides of the equation......... :-)

Leon
04-30-2015, 03:55 PM
a sad and happy moment all at the same time. Pretty sure there's a pack I want but won't get so I can emotionally share with you on both sides of the equation......... :-)

I am not too worried about my emotional side. Please bid accordingly (and hope to see you at the National if you make it)

And to answer Micheal, I don't know how many cards there are. Maybe several hundred or so...

Centauri
04-30-2015, 04:06 PM
Holy Cow! This will be an epic auction. That T205 Walter Johnson Hindu is incredible.

talkinbaseball
04-30-2015, 04:12 PM
Leon,

You are a first class individual,you have treated the guzze family awesome.

are we still going to have the B and L auctions?

The Zeenuts with the coupons will have a lot of interest across the country.

You are also a great dad.

john

frohme
04-30-2015, 04:15 PM
I am sure you've thought of this, but be aggressive in applying for the scholarships. SMU has a good endowment and is pretty generous as a rule.

Congratulations on the milestone (college) and can only guess that the decision must have been a difficult one.

+1 on the above comment, and though my experience is 30 years dated, if your daughter has any leaning towards a specific field of study, individual department(s) may well have scholarships to offer. Geology dept there treated me well from 81-85, though times may be different.

Best of luck to you both, Leon, I'm sure it will be very much worth it in the end.

--
Mike

Joshchisox08
04-30-2015, 04:18 PM
Leon I know that i'm new but just judging by the reaction and that you are the moderator of this site. I'm somewhat sad but happy for you at the same time. You're doing a wonderful thing for your daughter. I love my son to death but right now I'm trying to save so I don't have to sell off my collection but that's what I've always told my gf (not his mother but I wish she was) that my collection is an investment for him.

I hope that you stick around as you said you would and I wish your daughter the best of luck in school. I hope she realizes the sacrifice, gift, and love that you have for her. That is what will make it all worth it my friend.

DeanH3
04-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Thanks Dean. And if I remember correctly it was one of these Cobby's that unseated the card you garnered.

Sure was. Still one of my favorites today! :)

http://net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=244&pictureid=10120

wonkaticket
04-30-2015, 04:32 PM
Hey this belongs in the BST! :)

All joking aside, bittersweet times I'm sure Leon. At the very least you sure can be proud of the collection it is amazing, I wish you the best with the sale. I'll be sure to bid early and often.

Again I hope it all works out for you.

Cheers,

John

William Todd
04-30-2015, 04:35 PM
Leon, Congratulations. I sold most of my high grade T206 In REA 2009 to help pay for my TWIN daughters at private colleges. Best thing I ever did. Have bought some things back over last 6 years after that was past. The material will still be out there. Great move, good timing.

wazoo
04-30-2015, 04:38 PM
Good luck to you and your daughter Leon. I wish her the best of luck with her college endeavors. As we both know, college tuition is a joke. No one should have to pay 40k+ a year for an education in my opinion.

Golfcollector
04-30-2015, 04:40 PM
Leon, good for you!

I had to agonize with the same decision a few years ago....sell my golf card collection or keep it....have a bunch of money for a down payment on the home we will retire in and set aside money for my youngsters college education...or pull the cards out of the boxes and look at them once and awhile

You can always get back into the cards...I mean the real fun is the thrill of the chase isn't it?

Best of luck with the sales!!!

Mountaineer1999
04-30-2015, 04:54 PM
Leon, I have to say this is probably the most fun way I've ever seen to save for a child's education. Congrats on both counts. I'm certain you've had a blast with your collection and now look what an awesome gift it'll give your daughter!

Orioles1954
04-30-2015, 05:02 PM
I guess they were too good for Brockelman and Luckey Auctions :)

atx840
04-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Best of luck Leon, always enjoyed seeing the odds & ends of your collection. You own some amazing pieces. Looking forward to bidding.

forazzurri2axz
04-30-2015, 05:07 PM
Her mother and I divorced when she was 10,"mother" took her out of state with her brother, mother stole her high school work money from her savings account, told her the SAT's were cancelled so she wouldn't have to pay for the SAT's, refused to drive her around to college campuses....

Partially through baseball card sales, I did all the above, paid for all education, loans, rent, most of her food etc. Flew to her job interview after college for which she was hired. ---sort of what a good parent SHOULD do, especially since she also worked through college as a nanny to pay her other expenses ..

Haven't heard from her after she left for her job in Denver 10 months ago

peace out

mark evans
04-30-2015, 05:10 PM
A real mensch, as my grandmother would say.

Good luck, Leon.

DerekMichael
04-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Wow. I just saw this, and it makes me feel a little sad Leon.

Still, what a beautiful gesture to your daughter, and one that she will always remember. That is priceless.

Good luck. I will keep my fingers crossed that Cy Young portrait Brown Hindu is going to finally be available! :)

Derek

Koufax32fan
04-30-2015, 05:17 PM
My oldest starts college in the Fall as well, so I probably won't be bidding on those Zeenuts with coupons.

Leon - I hope that Heritage lets you write some of the descriptions (with or without the coins) as that will be very meaningful for those of us who read your posts on Net54 and understand your passion.

yanksfan09
04-30-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm shocked, but certainly family comes first. Best of luck. It should be quite the offering....

batsballsbases
04-30-2015, 05:34 PM
Leon,
Best of luck with the sale of the collection!

Northviewcats
04-30-2015, 05:50 PM
Best of luck with the auction. In a way you are blessed that you are able to help your daughter to this extent. I hope all of your items bring record prices.

Best regards,

Joe

ibuysportsephemera
04-30-2015, 05:59 PM
Good luck with the auction Leon. I have 2 daughters in college right now, so I can relate to your situation.

Jeff

JasonD08
04-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Leon

My oldest starts in another year so I am sure I will be liquidating most of my collection. The hunt is fun, but will not regret one sale as knowing where the proceeds are going. Good luck with the sale.

Jason

Tao_Moko
04-30-2015, 06:38 PM
They're just "stuff" as George Carlin wold say. Awesome to reap a better beneift from them. I hope you realize a healthy %gp.

Rickyy
04-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Leon,

Totally understand....family comes first...I'm sure your daughter will be a success and that in of itself will trump anything in your collection! :)

It will be exciting to see what you are going to do next in terms of your collecting... if you still go type...there are so many other ways to do it!

Ricky Y

shammus
04-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Leon, that's a terrific thing you're doing for your family. Possibly your finest "trade" ever perhaps! I'm sure that the day your daughter graduates will be exceptionally rewarding for you! I'm looking forward to seeing this auction and may pursue a couple of the items that you beat me on originally when you won them, aggressively :)

Best of luck with the upcoming auction! It should be a fantastic event!

brass_rat
04-30-2015, 07:24 PM
Congratulations, Leon. It's an impressive sign of love to be able to give up something you've put a lot of time and effort into for the benefit of your daughter's future.

My parents worked hard and made large sacrifices for my education, and I am grateful to them every single day for doing so.

Best of luck with the auction and to your daughter in her education.

Steve

aquarius31
04-30-2015, 08:06 PM
Best of luck Leon...you're a good man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darwinbulldog
04-30-2015, 08:18 PM
I recycle every auction catalog but REA. This will be the exception. Leon, I guess I've been previewing the offering on your webpage for years now. I'll need to sell a few of my own to raise the capital, but I know a few of your cards I'll be going after pretty aggressively. Best of luck to your daughter. Any idea what she'll be studying?

Jantz
04-30-2015, 09:23 PM
Best of luck to your daughter and with the auction Leon!

Leon
04-30-2015, 09:43 PM
Once again I just want to say how thankful I am for the well wishes. I know my wife and I are fortunate to be able to help our daughter as much as we will be able to. She's a good girl, takes after mom. This will let her get out of college without being saddled with debt. There is a good chance she will go to graduate school (she is majoring is statistics and economics (dual major) and a minor in psychology. She will have to help on the graduate one :). BTW, sticker price at SMU is around 67k a yr and rises each yr, I believe. She has some scholarship money for approximately a yr. We are done on that front. Orientation is next.

So a few other things....

Yes, Brockelman & Luckey Auctions is continuing. Heck, with being an empty-nester I might even do a few shows. We already have around 200 lots (I believe) for our next auction, which will be approximately a few months after the National...as we have done for the last 5-6 yrs. Scott and I enjoy it and when we quit enjoying doing them we won't do them anymore.

Yes, all or the Ruths and the Brown Hindu Young, Matty proof...the ...everything, will be auctioned as has been stated above.

Brian Van Horn
04-30-2015, 09:52 PM
Leon,

Best of luck and I hope your daughter has a wonderful time at college.

ethicsprof
04-30-2015, 10:22 PM
In a certain sense, this marks the end of an era in our tiny world.
But T.S Eliot reminds us in 'Little Gidding':
what we call the beginning is often the end. And to make and end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.

wishing you, Leon, and your wife and daughter all good things in this new era,

Barry

gnaz01
04-30-2015, 10:29 PM
what we call the beginning is often the end. And to make and end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.

Barry

Or to quote the band Semisonic "Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end" :)

darwinbulldog
04-30-2015, 11:00 PM
There is a good chance she will go to graduate school (she is majoring is statistics and economics (dual major) and a minor in psychology. She will have to help on the graduate one :)

Good stuff. My PhD is in psychology, and statistics is the first course I taught at the university. Just about any grad program in psych (probably econ too) would strongly prefer an applicant with a good stats background.

glynparson
05-01-2015, 02:17 AM
This makes me feel blessed to have my daughters education taken care of already thanks to an inheritance put aside by wife specifically for that purpose. I would have done the same in a heartbeat but will be glad in 10 years when i do not have to. Glad to know you'll be starting it ( a collection) all over again. I have liquidated and started over in the past on two seperate occasions. I have never really regretted doing it as both times it was the right thing to do.

jasonc
05-01-2015, 02:30 AM
Leon, good luck with the auction and it's a very thoughtful thing you are doing for your daughter, best of luck to her as well.

h2oya311
05-01-2015, 04:59 AM
Wow. Just wow!

NewEnglandBaseBallist
05-01-2015, 05:41 AM
Leon, good luck with the sale and Wishing all the best for your daughter at SMU. Your type collection is hands down the best I've ever seen.

Tyler
05-01-2015, 06:27 AM
Or to quote the band Semisonic "Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end" :)

Absolutely awesome, Greg.

Best of luck Mr. Luckey. Cannot WAIT for that catalogue.

clydepepper
05-01-2015, 06:42 AM
I've already picked out what I want. It's going to be a long wait, but it will be worth it.

ZachS
05-01-2015, 07:00 AM
This makes me kind of sad... that being said, I WANT A CATALOG!

Rich Klein
05-01-2015, 07:14 AM
You know perhaps Heritage can do "Leon signed" auction catalogs and selll those for a premum. After all, how many times can the honoree be here for their goods; that usually only happens after someone passes on.

Jewish-collector
05-01-2015, 07:19 AM
I'm going to get Leon to sign mine. :D

GaryPassamonte
05-01-2015, 07:54 AM
Kudos for having your priorities in order, Leon. You are one of the good guys.

tedzan
05-01-2015, 07:57 AM
I admire your decision here; and, I do appreciate it.

As, I did a similar thing back in the early 1980's to help pay for my older daughter's (Debbie) College tuition.
I'm sure that my collection at that time was on a considerably smaller scale than your current collection.

However, so were the costs of a College tuition back then.

Wishing you the best of luck,

TED Z

T206Collector
05-01-2015, 12:19 PM
In 2007, I sold my near set of T206 cards so that I could make a run at and ultimately secure Lionel Carter's Eddie Plank. It was definitely a strange thing watching a decade plus of cards collected going out the door, but an amazing thing happened at about the same time -- a bunch of autographed pre-war cards started showing up on ebay. My collection took on a different meaning for me -- what was once important to it was no longer important. The thrill of a different chase began and continues to this day.

Sounds like you already know this, but you will enjoy the catalog, the bidding, the event, etc. You will, I am certain, enjoy the payout. But, I know you will always find something to chase that you will be at least as passionate about in the future. Keep enjoying the ride!

drmondobueno
05-01-2015, 12:30 PM
As someone with outstanding student loans, you are doing a really great thing for your daughter.

+1

ullmandds
05-01-2015, 12:55 PM
I agree with the general sentiment...Leon you are doing a very good thing and I'm sure your daughter will appreciate it. And I'm sure you will enjoy the auction and will be very happy with the outcome.

bnorth
05-01-2015, 01:07 PM
I've already picked out what I want. It's going to be a long wait, but it will be worth it.

+1 I know what I want also and hopefully if it is in a lot I can partner with someone that wants the other stuff. I want Leon's recently acquired Jim Beckett graded by Beckett card. It needs to come home and be with it's twin brother card.;)

jason.1969
05-01-2015, 01:08 PM
A couple thoughts.

1. I remember when I was a kid...my mom was against my collecting, but her boyfriend would say, "Who knows, Marsha...someday his cards may pay for his college education!" Well, in my case, it didn't happen...in an all too familiar storyline, my mom threw my cards away sometime around middle school. But here you are, fulfilling the prophecy!

2. Have been thinking about the idea that "experiences are the new stuff" and how we're the last people it applies to. We collectors are all about amassing stuff and tend to view experiences along the lines of..."hmm, I could go to Vegas with my friends, but I could get a 1954 Bowman Ted Williams for the same money." But as I read your post, Leon, I wondered if maybe the active experience of collecting all your great cards was in fact the real joy, whereas the having of these same cards was less valuable. I hope so, since the memories of the experience can stay with you forever.

Thanks for giving me a place to share my kid hobby with other grownups. And good luck to your daughter. Education is a good choice, though the cards could have also made one hell of a dowry!

Jason

darwinbulldog
05-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Have been thinking about the idea that "experiences are the new stuff" and how we're the last people it applies to. We collectors are all about amassing stuff and tend to view experiences along the lines of..."hmm, I could go to Vegas with my friends, but I could get a 1954 Bowman Ted Williams for the same money." But as I read your post, Leon, I wondered if maybe the active experience of collecting all your great cards was in fact the real joy, whereas the having of these same cards was less valuable. I hope so, since the memories of the experience can stay with you forever.

Spot on, Jason, and beautifully written.

jbsports33
05-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Good Luck Leon,

Had to do the same when I got married and bought my house, then when I had kids and I am sure when the time comes for college and other future needs it will happen again.

Jimmy

1880nonsports
05-01-2015, 02:04 PM
You know perhaps Heritage can do "Leon signed" auction catalogs and selll those for a premum. After all, how many times can the honoree be here for their goods; that usually only happens after someone passes on.

along with my Halper signed catalog :-) Leon's might be worth more!

billyb
05-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Leon,
I believe you said you would start a new collection. That is sort of out with the old and in with the new old.
Just kidding Leon, I tip my hat to you. It had to be a tough decision, but the right thing to do. Good luck with the auction and with your new old collection.

Peter_Spaeth
05-01-2015, 03:14 PM

Barry

Not with a bang but a whimper.

bigfanNY
05-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Good Luck with the Auction Leon and as someone who had Two in College at the same time (Two years apart so they overlapped or two years) The Number they put in the catalog as high as it may seem is only a part of what it really ends up costing. But worth every penny.

Regards
Jonathan

cardswin53
05-01-2015, 04:06 PM
So much for the philosophy that he who has the most cards when one dies, wins !
I am fortunate that I was able to keep and add to my collection as my 4 kids attended and graduated from college(my youngest does so in two weeks). Each had (has) a small student loan but I believe that when they have skin in the game, they are more likely to take their education seriously and complete it in 4 years. My wife and I were able to pay about 75% of their costs at in- state colleges.
It always makes me sad when a serious and passionate collector decides it is necessary to sell his collection that took years to assemble.
You are a better man and father than I.

ls7plus
05-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Wow!!! I had to sell a major portion of my collection a few years ago due to a financial crisis, and I know it can be quite painful. The good part is that I have resumed collecting with a renewed fervor, and it seems that a lot of tough cards on my want list are coming my way at the moment, relieving a lot of the sting. For me, a collector of stars and HOF'ers, the card connected you to the player, and took you back to the time (and sometimes the place as well, with regionals). Indeed, the player's image is an instant of his life preserved for years, decades, centuries, and perhaps even longer--the history of the game I have always loved so very much, right there, in my hands. My ultimate plan was to leave a large chunk of the collection to God's missionary work after my death, as well as some to help finance college educations of my heirs who may be in need.

Best wishes always, Leon, and rest assured, the second time around can be better than the first!

Larry

edjs
05-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Leon,

I can't tell you how many times I have looked at your collection list, just to learn more about this hobby. That list has helped me focus on my collecting, and really educated me as a collector. I suppose it is fitting that it will now be going to help your own with their education. Thanks for running this site, until I found this, I was buying stuff from all over the spectrum, and just a little over a year ago now, bought my first T206, a Arellanes with a Pied. 350 back. Today, I have over 150, with 23 different backs, including a Red Hindu, Black Lenox, and Broad Leaf 350, not to mention all my PCL and Southern Assoc. cards. So this seems an appropriate time to say thanks, and hope it eases letting this go knowing how your collection has taught so many. Best of luck on the next collection.

Ed

ethicsprof
05-01-2015, 07:47 PM
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Eliot's The Wasteland as a retort:
I sat upon the shore
Fishing, with the arid plain behind me.
Shall I at least set my lands in order?

warm regards, ole buddy
Barry

Peter_Spaeth
05-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Eliot's The Wasteland as a retort:
I sat upon the shore
Fishing, with the arid plain behind me.
Shall I at least set my lands in order?

warm regards, ole buddy
Barry

or along similar lines:
Because I do not hope to turn again.

frankbmd
05-01-2015, 08:21 PM
I agree with the general sentiment...Leon you are doing a very good thing and I'm sure your daughter will appreciate it. And I'm sure you will enjoy the auction and will be very happy with the outcome.

If so, there may even be enough left over for you to pursue some "type"
of degree yourself.;)

insccollectibles
05-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Leon,

You are selling for the right reasons and be proud that you put together one of the finest collections any of us have ever seen.

05-14-2015, 03:51 PM
http://sports.ha.com/c/auction-home.zx?saleNo=7116&ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Preview-AuctionName-081514

brianp-beme
05-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the link Daryl. I will be unavailable to bid on the lot I am interested in, but I am thinking of having Leon bid on my behalf...just kidding. Great group of cards. I think it should be called the "Getting Luckey" Auction.

Brian

Nashvol
05-14-2015, 05:48 PM

A+

Jeffrompa
05-14-2015, 05:55 PM
1. Bookmarking
2. Clearing my schedule
3. Talking to my banker
4. Begging wife

insidethewrapper
05-14-2015, 05:59 PM
Leon: Don't do it. Keep the collection. Get a few grants and loans and tell your daughter to get a part-time job ($5-10k year). Hope you like paying several hundred $$$$ per credit hour for those required courses like ( PE golf, Intro to Humanities etc) . All that collection money for nonsense classes and Happy Hours and parties.

Leon
05-16-2015, 07:13 AM
[QUOTE=4815162342;1411169]http://sports.ha.com/c/auction-home.zx?saleNo=7116&ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Preview-AuctionName-081514

Since I have received several questions concerning things not listed in the list which is linked to the auction I want to make sure folks know that it is only a partial list and is a work in progress. If you have seen a card in my collection, and it isn't a generic RPPC, it will be in the auction. Just because it isn't shown doesn't mean anything except they haven't got it loaded in yet. Also, some descriptions and possibly lots, will change. But everything is being sold and please don't worry if you want to bid on something and don't see it. If it is a card that is in my (1st) collection it is being sold. Please bid and bid often when it opens (in July) :).

1880nonsports
05-16-2015, 11:16 AM
includes your tobacco packs/advertising?

Leon
05-16-2015, 12:10 PM
includes your tobacco packs/advertising?

All of my tobacco packs, cartons and stuff will be in the auction. There are some very rare and uniquely known items....(as you know, Henry)

Eric72
05-16-2015, 03:19 PM
Hi Leon,

I plan to contribute to your daughter's college fund by overpaying for at least one item in this auction. How can I make sure that I receive a catalogue in the mail?

Best regards,

Eric

talkinbaseball
05-16-2015, 05:47 PM
I'll second that.

How can I make sure that I receive a catalogue in the mail?

thanks,
john

Leon
05-16-2015, 07:27 PM
I'll second that.

How can I make sure that I receive a catalogue in the mail?

thanks,
john

Any member who wants a catalog and is not on their mailing list already can get one sent to them. But it needs to be requested closer to early July. I am sure if a member checks the board every week or so they will probably see something about it. We might even do a thread once they start shipping to make sure everyone gets one. I am going to lock this thread for now. There will be more talk later, most likely. Thanks again for all of the kind words and best wishes. It should be a lot of fun to see some things that should be valuable with very few comparative sales sell in an open format. Interesting to say the least.