PDA

View Full Version : OT: Private Tour Roberto Clemente Museum in Pittsburgh

Bpm0014
04-29-2015, 09:10 AM
Had a chance to take a private tour of the Roberto Clemente museum in Pittsburgh last night. Although the 50s-60s-70s were not my favorite time in baseball, the museum was packed with some truly unbelievable Clemente memorabilia. Most of it simply laying around and available to touch/hold. For example: Fred Clark game used bat, Clemente Puerto Rican uniform from 1972, Clemente stirrups from a uniform, numerous numerous numerous signed Clemente balls, possible game used Honus Wagner bat, etc. With this being said, I found the owner to be a really likeable guy, but somewhat of an exaggerator. With this being said, I'd like to research 2 items. Does anyone have access to the PSA DNA database? I'd like some item on item #1: 1b04162 (game used Fred Clarke bat?), and item #2: How much does a PSA Gem Mint 10 Clemente rookie go for? Thanks!

vthobby
04-29-2015, 09:34 AM
Brendan,

GEM MT 10 $432,690 Mar-2015 SCP Auctions MAY 2012

In other words....big bucs! hence the pun! :D

Peace, Mike

vthobby
04-29-2015, 09:37 AM
Brendan,

1B04162
It is the opinion of PSA/DNA Authentication Services that the Professional Model Bat listed below is genuine. According to the Certification Database, this bat is defined as follows:
PSA/DNA Cert #1b04162
Zoom Zoom Image

Item: Professional Model Bat

Primary Subject: FRED CLARKE

Wood: Ash

Cracked: No

Bat Type: Professional Model Bat

Finish: Standard

Brand: Spalding

Item Era: (c) 1912-1925

Model: Autograph Series

Length: 34 1/2 in

Weight: 40 oz

Result/Grade: Authentic

Hope the info helps,

Peace, Mike

Cozumeleno
04-29-2015, 09:41 AM
Thanks for that info, Brendan. I'm actually in Pittsburgh and have debated taking that tour myself. I know it's only open by appointment/private tour, so that's somewhat deterred me, but it sounds interesting.

Bpm0014
04-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Wow, thanks for the quick responses fellas! I guess he was telling the truth. The Clarke bat is just laying around, leaning up against a wall in a random corner of a room. I picked it out right away, and got a chance to hold it and swing it. If you get a chance, and ESPECIALLY if you like Clemente, by all means take the tour! An off-season series of letters between Clemente and the Pirates owner in 1956 haggling over Clemente's 1956 salary, may be the coolest item there. The owner (in almost these exact words) tells Clemente that he is a nobody, is not even guaranteed to make the team in 1956, that he is not even an "average" player, and that he strikes out too much and his OBP is well below average. There is also a propeller from the fateful crash. Ironically, Clemente's older brother also died at age 38 on New Year's eve (prompting Clemente to have second thoughts on the flight)....

Mountaineer1999
04-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Great Stuff Brendan, thanks for sharing. I didn't even know there was a Clemente museum in Pittsburgh.

Cozumeleno
04-29-2015, 02:19 PM
Great Stuff Brendan, thanks for sharing. I didn't even know there was a Clemente museum in Pittsburgh.

Yep, it's over in/near Lawrenceville, I believe. Last I checked, they didn't accept walk-ins - it's by appointment only, so definitely don't just drop by :)

Bpm0014
04-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Thanks. One more cool story... The owner of the museum, has visited Vera Clemente numerous times and has become good friends with her. In one of his travels there, Vera told him that she had just thrown out one of Roberto's old gloves yesterday due to some moisture damage. Apparently Puerto Rico is very humid. Well..... the owner of the Clemente museum fished the glove out right out of the garbage and kept it! And it's on display (along with numerous bats, uniforms, caps, a pair of cleats, home plate from the 71 World Series, original 1909 Forbes Field seats, a million autographs, etc. etc. etc.) A MUST for the Clemente fan. It is an old firehouse which has been converted to a museum/wine factory. Very neat.

icollectDCsports
04-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Are any of the uniforms or caps those he wore with the Pirates? Thanks

Bpm0014
04-30-2015, 08:48 AM
There are a solid 4-5 Clemente Pirates uniforms there, yes as well as cleats (which the owner said were only one of 2-3 in the world).

DeafSports
05-01-2015, 10:36 AM
sounds amazing. how much is the admission? I would love to attend over the summer with my 9 years old son.

Seems like a heaven place to be at!

Best,
Danny

Bpm0014
05-01-2015, 02:05 PM
I'm fairly certain it is by invitation only. But you may want to call them. It was free....

icollectDCsports
05-01-2015, 04:19 PM
There are a solid 4-5 Clemente Pirates uniforms there, yes as well as cleats (which the owner said were only one of 2-3 in the world).

So cool. Thanks!

Cozumeleno
05-02-2015, 03:03 PM
sounds amazing. how much is the admission? I would love to attend over the summer with my 9 years old son.

It's $20.00 for adults, not sure on kids. You don't need an invitation per se, but you do need to schedule a tour and get a confirmation from them. You can do it through their website.

1963Topps Set
05-03-2015, 10:22 PM
I remember when Clemente was killed. Could not believe it.