PDA

View Full Version : To crack and submit, or attempt to crossover?

Brianruns10
04-28-2015, 07:27 PM
I've got a group of cards I've bought over the past year or so, that are SGC. And I'd like to submit them to PSA for my registry set. But I'm at a quandary as to what to do.

It certainly would be safer to submit in the SGC holder for crossover, so if the cards don't meet or exceed their SGC grade, I've still got them graded in the original holder.

But I'm skeptical. Let's face it: grading is subjective, and in a hobby where a grade point can mean the difference between a hundred dollar card and a thousand dollar one, there's going to be, how shall we say..politics? I worry about how unbiased PSA will be when faced with a competitor's card. Are they going to be inclined to not want to cross the card in order to inflate their value of their brand, and deflate the value of the competitor (i.e. the competitor is less stringent about grades than we are). Can I really expect a fair shake?

Or am I better off cracking and submitting raw, so PSA will judge the card on its merits?

What's been your experience? Have any of you compared crossover submissions versus raw submissions?

What should I do?

Thanks!

BR

swarmee
04-28-2015, 07:47 PM
I will be doing this on a couple of cards for my registry set, and my plan is to send them in the SGC holders and put a min grade requirement of 1/2 point less than the SGC grade. If they don't get moved over, I'll crack and resubmit.

begsu1013
04-28-2015, 07:58 PM
post scans first. get the general consensus of others on whether or not it stands a chance:

first and foremost it's luck of the draw. always remember this. to put in another way, to get a bump or desired grade depends solely on whether the grader got laid the night before or got into a bickering match w/ the significant other...it's a crapshoot. of course, i am referring to cards that are on the borderline of being crossed.

just remember it's not a 1 and done game either. i have resubmitted the same card 4 times to get the grade i thought it deserved.

here's how i play the game if it's in a sgc holder...

1. no harm or risk if it's in the sgc holder. send it in for a crossover and see what happens.

2. if it gets rejected, keep it in the holder, wait a lil while and try it again.

3. if it gets rejected, crack and sub it. (keep your flip and remember that you risk damage to the card)

4. if it gets rejected solely for the grade desired, try her one more time. if it comes back trimmed or mc or n4 then send her back to sgc with the flip. not guaranteed to get the same grade, but i found it helps about 80%.

fyi: i probably run about a 30% ratio on the straight crossover from an sgc holder. be very careful submitting any cards from the late 70's early 80's that are in beckett holders as there are a ton of sheet cut cards and they are easily detectable out side of the holders. psa wont grade sheet cut cards that came in pack form.