PDA

View Full Version : New member intro

Mesquite
04-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Hi, new member checking in with my story. I recently pulled my box of baseball cards out of storage in the back of a closet, and thought I should figure out what I want to do with them. I began collecting as a kid, back in 1969, with the orange-backed Topps set. I vaguely remember buying the cards from a large "candy truck" (sort of like a "roach coach" food vending truck of today), which would regularly drive through the neighborhood, and all the neighborhood kids would swarm the truck.

The truck sold all imaginable kinds of candy, as well as baseball cards. The neighborhood boys would trade cards, or trade cards for marbles (card collecting and playing marbles were how we spent our time back then), or we'd bet cards on games of marbles. That's how I acquired my pre-1969 cards. I don't have that many pre-69 cards, and I have a lot to learn about grading.

Around 1976 I stopped collecting (I found "other interests" as a teenager, and they were left sitting mostly untouched for several decades). By then, my collection consisted of a couple thousand cards, mostly in the 1969-1975 range. Around 1991 I had a renewed interest. I think there must have been a lot of TV news and magazine coverage of valuable baseball card collections (there was no internet to speak of, so those would have been the only sources), so I took a trip to a local baseball card shop (there were dozens of them back then), and added to my collection. I bought a few complete sets from the 1987-1990 range, and a few individual cards from the early 80's. We all know what happened to values after that, and the cards sat idle for another extended period, until last week.

It's funny, as I look through my cards, I can see that over the years I got much better at careful handling. Most of my 1969 and prior cards suffer from handling flaws and have soft edges and corners (none of us ever thought that pristine condition would matter). The 1970 and 71 cards are generally better preserved (especially, and unfortunately, the lesser-known players since those didn't get handled much), but I think it's very unlikely any would grade higher than PSA 7 or 8, with most being a couple/few ticks below that. The black borders on the 1971s are pretty unforgiving and simply sorting through them seemed to wear the black on the edges. The 1974s, as a set, seem to be in the best condition overall.

So I hope I've come to the right place, and that there are a number of you with interest in the late-60's and early-70's cards. There are dozens of online forums for sports cards, but most of the other forums I came across seemed to have most of their activity around much newer cards, which I'm not really interested in. If I've not come to the right place and there are other forums where the 60's and 70's cards are more popular, please let me know.
Thanks.

swarmee
04-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Welcome to the board; the boards at the bottom of the main forums page are for discussion of cards from 1950-1980, and 1980-current. So that's probably where you'll spend most of your time. It's great you still have your early cards; I had thousands from 1987-1993 and after carrying them around, I kept the stars and donated all the commons. Nobody tries to complete those sets anyways.

clydepepper
04-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Welcome aboard.

There are indeed members interested in cards from the time frame you mentioned. Everyone I have dealt with have been upstanding, honest guys who share their vast knowledge on virtually every card ever produced. You in safe hands here.

Have fun and take an extended look around the 'property' to see all it provides.

Again, welcome to Net54,

Raymond

trdcrdkid
04-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Mesquite --

Welcome! I'm a relative newcomer here myself (joined in February), and I don't spend much time in the post-war forums, but there's plenty of activity there (especially the 1945-1980 one), and I'm sure you'll be welcomed with open arms.

I'm a few years older than you (my childhood collecting years were 1976-82), but I also got back into it in 1991. I did buy a wax box of Topps and collect the set that year just for kicks, but I soon focused on older cards, which I had already started to get into in my early teens. I now have a couple of thousand pre-war tobacco and caramel cards (baseball and nonsport) and several thousand advertising trade cards from the late 19th century. About 10-15 years ago I decided to collect cards from the decade between when I was born (1966) and when I started collecting, because those were the bulk of the older cards that circulated when I was a kid. I now have complete Topps sets from 1968 (my favorite as a kid), 1974, and 1975, and near-sets of the other years from 1967-76. I also got the Topps sets from 1983-90 and some Fleer and Donruss sets from those years, but of course cards from that era are crazy plentiful and not worth much.

swarmee
04-28-2015, 05:46 PM
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=201410

You may be interested in this club, at the thread above.

Mesquite
04-28-2015, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, and for the pointers to the other discussion areas.

PS I can't seem to find any forum limits on posted photo sizes or maximum number of photos per post. Are there any limits like that?

begsu1013
04-28-2015, 07:41 PM
welcome mesquite! fairly new here as well. i mainly post to the post war forum as that is what i mainly collect as well...1951 - 79, but check in over here at the pre war forum every once in a while as there are some good threads here and the wealth of knowledge here is absolutely incredible...
freedom of speech is also more tolerated on this board vs some of the others.

not sure on the max size and limits of posting pics, but post away...

there's usually a monthly "pick ups" thread in both forums that is fun to peruse and certainly helps the wallet get a little lighter each month...

trdcrdkid
04-28-2015, 07:45 PM
If you upload photos to the site to use in a post, there are size limits, which you can see with the "Manage Attachments" button at the bottom of the "Reply to Topic" page. I've found that using an external photo-hosting site (in my case Photobucket) allows for more flexibility and much higher size limits for photos.

Mesquite
04-28-2015, 07:57 PM
Is there a particular format to follow (or special forum to post to) if I want pointers on determining the grade of a card?

For example, I've got nine of the 1970 Don Sutton #622 card, and I thought it might be instructive to understand how and why the grade varies on 9 versions of an otherwise identical card, especially relative to centering and degree of softness of the corners.

Leon
04-28-2015, 08:15 PM
Is there a particular format to follow (or special forum to post to) if I want pointers on determining the grade of a card?

For example, I've got nine of the 1970 Don Sutton #622 card, and I thought it might be instructive to understand how and why the grade varies on 9 versions of an otherwise identical card, especially relative to centering and degree of softness of the corners.

Usually a jpg or gif is best to upload. For really large pictures they need to be hosted elsewhere as our limit is about 80k. There is something like an 8-10 picture per post limit but you can have multiple posts in one thread if need be. There are forums for most sports and different years of baseball cards. When you look at the upper part of each page there is a row of icons. The 4th from the left is the Postwar Cards and Watercooler Talk. That is where postwar baseball cards and other sports cards discussions go...Welcome to the fray.

http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

cardsfan73
04-28-2015, 10:28 PM
Welcome to the board & welcome back to a great hobby. Plenty of great folks here who are always willing to share their knowledge. Also plenty of great deals to be had on the BST forums!

Best wishes,
Scott

swarmee
04-29-2015, 04:43 AM

http://www.psacard.com/Services/PSAGradingStandards/
Bookmark that link for a standard grading scale including centering guidelines.

PSA is more lenient on grading centering compared to BVG/BGS (Beckett Vintage Grading/Beckett Grading Service). BCCG is another Beckett service but their scale is like doubled, and intended to stuff cards into blaster boxes at Wal-mart, not to actually grade cards (i.e. a VG 3 card can be a BCCG 6 or so)- more of a scam than a grading scale. SGC is a co-leader for pre-1950 cards with PSA. BGS is the leader for modern cards, unless you're trying to complete registry sets of Hall of Famers like Nolan Ryan. I send all my stuff to PSA because their registries are more useful.

Here are my guidelines for raw cards: reasonably centered and no corner, edge wear is NM/MT. I try to never describe vintage cards as Mint despite how good they look.
One corner ding or surface dimple and you're in the EX/NM Near Mint realm.

Excellent are cards that have no rounding or creases, but maybe some corner or edge wear.

VG/EX can have rounding of corners, but no creases. Or a light crease, but minimal otherwise age effects.

VG can have rounding of corners and a single unobtrusive crease.

Most people also will tell you if the card has been written on as marked (MK), has a stain (ST), is miscut (MC), etc. Sometimes the MK is a vintage stamp that says which collection it came from, and therefore does not detract from the value. Same with Miscuts; in the very old series like T206, there may be a higher value for a miscut card compared to a similar grading card depending on the level of miscuttedness. ;-)

Heavily creased or otherwise damaged put you in the POOR-FAIR-GOOD realms.

Enfuego
04-29-2015, 09:31 AM
Welcome aboard, glad you can join us...:D