PDA

View Full Version : Strange Orioles- White Sox Game

barrysloate
04-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Because of the riots in Baltimore, the Orioles and the White Sox will play a game tomorrow afternoon with no fans allowed to attend. I assume MLB is afraid of fans going beserk during play. To my knowledge, this is the first time in major league history that a regulation game will be played to an empty stadium. It will be kind of eerie for the players not to hear any sounds after a strike out, home run, or other key play. What a strange game it will be.

DaClyde
04-28-2015, 02:27 PM
Because of the riots in Baltimore, the Orioles and the White Sox will play a game tomorrow afternoon with no fans allowed to attend. I assume MLB is afraid of fans going beserk during play. To my knowledge, this is the first time in major league history that a regulation game will be played to an empty stadium. It will be kind of eerie for the players not to hear any sounds after a strike out, home run, or other key play. What a strange game it will be.

I suspect it would me more a concern for the safety of the fans and the ballpark in general from those who were rampaging across the city than any concern about the fans themselves.

Pity they couldn't just play in Bowie or something so fans could still see the game. Would make a heck of an unusual double header if the Baysox were at home, as well.

Econteachert205
04-28-2015, 05:42 PM
I have the mlb package and look forward to watching.

clydepepper
04-28-2015, 07:42 PM

Barry- During the late 1980's, the Braves came REAL close to playing for nobody...several times. You could sit where ever you wanted.

Coincidentally, the Braves are uprooting from a lower-income area to a high-middle-class neighborhood...possibly avoiding that kind of game for the 'Baltimore' type reason.

DHogan
04-28-2015, 08:08 PM
I posted this link in another topic. Only 250 fan's showing up for an Oakland game.
http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2015/04/25/oakland-athletics-mlb-lowest-attendance?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150426

clydepepper
04-29-2015, 10:01 AM
My memory was a little off: On September 8, 1975, the Braves lost to the Astros 9-6 in front of 737 hard-core Atlanta fans. That's the lowest attendance for a Braves game I have found so far.

grainsley
04-29-2015, 01:20 PM
5th inning throw to 1st to retire the side......and the first baseman tosses the ball into the stands.........the EMPTY stands!

LuckyLarry
04-29-2015, 01:37 PM
I saw that too Grant!

5th inning throw to 1st to retire the side......and the first baseman tosses the ball into the stands.........the EMPTY stands!

clydepepper
04-29-2015, 02:29 PM
Game Information

Stadium Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Baltimore, MD
Attendance 1 (0% full) - % is based on regular season capacity
Game Time 2:03
Weather 74 degrees, sunny
Wind 4 mph
Umpires Home Plate - Jerry Layne, First Base - Hunter Wendelstedt, Second Base - Bob Davidson, Third Base - David Rackley

clydepepper
04-30-2015, 08:36 AM
Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
Yogi Berra

RTK
05-03-2015, 07:34 PM
A score card from that game would be something to have. I'd guess some were printed up in advance, obviously none were sold, although the press may have had access to some....wondering?