PDA

View Full Version : guide to purchase

hoebob69
04-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Hello,I'm an interested spectator in the t206 cards looking to start a collection of my own very soon. As with any card I do some research first before I just dive in. From my understanding even the commons hold value but I've really only found a couple of cards that are both affordable and of importance. I was hoping some of the veterans on here could lend a helping hand and help me ease into this market. Right now im looking at a couple. One is of a guy from the black hawks scandal with both hands over his head and the other is of a pitcher who died in his prime,addie joss I believe. I also have looked into one where a trophy is in with the pose. Sorry im really bad with names,but I've got them watched on my ebay. Was hoping for some oppinions on the issue before I pick one. Im leaning toward the chic one with both hands raised at the moment but I'm constantly going back and forth...please help me!! Thanks in advance.

trdcrdkid
04-27-2015, 10:37 PM
Assuming that by "black hawks scandal" you mean the Black Sox scandal, I'm not sure who you're thinking of. Only two of the Black Sox are in T206, Eddie Cicotte and Chick Gandil, and neither of them is pictured with both hands over his head. There are a number of players in the set pictured with their hands over their head, but none of them were on Chicago (either Cubs or White Sox) and none of them had anything to do with the Black Sox scandal, as far as I can remember. The guy with the trophy is Hal Chase.

Joshchisox08
04-28-2015, 04:13 AM
Assuming that by "black hawks scandal" you mean the Black Sox scandal, I'm not sure who you're thinking of. Only two of the Black Sox are in T206, Eddie Cicotte and Chick Gandil, and neither of them is pictured with both hands over his head. There are a number of players in the set pictured with their hands over their head, but none of them were on Chicago (either Cubs or White Sox) and none of them had anything to do with the Black Sox scandal, as far as I can remember. The guy with the trophy is Hal Chase.

Ahh Dave remember I'd bet that "Sleepy" Bill Burns would have something to say about the scandal.

And on a lesser note (though probably not true) Dubuc.

hoebob69
04-28-2015, 10:37 AM
Sorry the one I was referring to is hugh jennings. Do any of those sound like good starting points?

btcarfagno
04-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Tough to go wrong witha T206 HOFer like Joss or Jennings. I would suggest to find one with very nice eye appeal for the grade. One that might not technically grade out high but looks at first glance like it could.

Tom C

trdcrdkid
04-28-2015, 12:01 PM
Yeah, Joss and Jennings are relatively affordable Hall of Famers, and not a bad place to start. I agree that you should try to find a card with good eye appeal for its grade (or potential grade), but you should also get a card that you like. There are a lot of fun and interesting cards in T206, and assuming that you're going to collect at least partly for fun, rather than purely as an investment, you should start with cards that appeal to you.

Cozumeleno
04-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Having just started the T-206 journey a couple of months ago, others probably can offer better advice. But the best piece I can give is to figure out exactly what you want to accomplish before you start buying. Do your fair share of research and learn as much about the set as you can up front.

For example, my goal is to complete a 518-card set (which is minus the big six) in almost any way possible. Right now, I'm not concerned about backs or much else. I'm even being liberal with condition as my cards range mostly from Poor - Good with a few slightly better. After that, I plan on trying to acquire as many non-Piedmont and non-Sweet Cap backs for my set while upgrading some of the conditions of the ones in pretty bad shape. And if I ever get far enough to where that bores me, I'll probably start collecting different backs of as many cards as I can.

There's no right or wrong answer to what you want to collect in regards to the set and there are so many things you can do that the possibilities are near endless. You can collect Hall-of-Famers, players from certain teams, poses (i.e. portrait-only), strive for a complete set, collect certain backs, etc. The best thing I can say is to decide what's for you/your budget and come up with a game plan on what you want to do before spending any money. You don't want to spend a lot of money and then realize you want to shift gears later on.

Good luck!

frankbmd
04-28-2015, 05:52 PM
If you purchase a T206 card, you will need to complete a Monster Number application.:eek::eek::eek:

mrvster
04-28-2015, 07:43 PM
you picked the right set to collect!! email me with any questions....id be happy to answer....:)

Peace

Johnny

ullmandds
04-28-2015, 08:36 PM
i'd skip t206 and avoid all that paperwork...candy and gum cards are more scarce and require no credentials.

Sean
04-29-2015, 03:26 AM
i'd skip t206 and avoid all that paperwork...candy and gum cards are more scarce and require no credentials.

Don't let Pete discourage you. He's our resident T206 curmudgeon.

Actually, there are so many ways to collect T206 that you can't go wrong. Start with whatever cards you like. The three you named are all excellent cards.

x2drich2000
04-29-2015, 04:45 AM

+1...or wait, lets not encourage anyone here.

hoebob69
05-02-2015, 08:01 PM
Thanks for all the support guys. I hope to be making a purchase pretty soon.