PDA

View Full Version : Help with 500 Home Run Display

bigfanNY
04-27-2015, 08:33 PM
I am almost finished putting together autographs of the 26 members of the 500 HR club. I know with steroids that many members are out of favor but that is OT. For 23 of the 26 I have focused on mainstream cards because for the most part that takes any question of authentication off the board. And having Real autographs was / is my first priority so 21 are modern cards from packs Mantle and Mays are cards that I have owned more than 30 years and had SGC authenticated 3 (I discuss later) . Second is when possible to get cards from when a player was active. For some players like Sosa there were only a few choices but a couple were very nice (I chose an Upper Deck evolve auto) third criteria was for consistency I picked the 97 Donruss signature set for a few auto's, Ud SP for a few. So When I started this venture I had 7 cards that fit the board and over the past few months have picked up 15 others and have my eye on another ending this weekend. So should have 23 by this time next week. I plan on shopping at the national for the last 3 Ruth, Foxx Ott and have not decided on cards or postcards or cuts for these I will Have to see what my budget looks like this summer (how much money my wife gives me for the trip) And wonder if anyone else has a similar display and would share Pic's or even similar themes with mostly modern auto's and some vintage. I can see a 3000 hit display would be quite impressive or perfect game pitchers etc. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jonathan

brewing
04-27-2015, 09:01 PM
We need to see pictures.

bigfanNY
04-27-2015, 09:20 PM
This is half of them most were very reasonable the Mcgwire being the exception but I liked this card and there are not many from his playing days most available are from past few years where he has been signing for topps. The Williams I just got off Ebay is a 1993 UDA card with a very strong Auto. I have a couple of Bonds and a few Arod's so will have to pick. The Bonds here I like because he spelled his name Not Just a BBS like he signed for years.
I showed you mine ...Hope you guys have some idea's
Thanks
Jonathan

Scott Garner
04-28-2015, 04:12 AM
I am almost finished putting together autographs of the 26 members of the 500 HR club. I know with steroids that many members are out of favor but that is OT. For 23 of the 26 I have focused on mainstream cards because for the most part that takes any question of authentication off the board. And having Real autographs was / is my first priority so 21 are modern cards from packs Mantle and Mays are cards that I have owned more than 30 years and had SGC authenticated 3 (I discuss later) . Second is when possible to get cards from when a player was active. For some players like Sosa there were only a few choices but a couple were very nice (I chose an Upper Deck evolve auto) third criteria was for consistency I picked the 97 Donruss signature set for a few auto's, Ud SP for a few. So When I started this venture I had 7 cards that fit the board and over the past few months have picked up 15 others and have my eye on another ending this weekend. So should have 23 by this time next week. I plan on shopping at the national for the last 3 Ruth, Foxx Ott and have not decided on cards or postcards or cuts for these I will Have to see what my budget looks like this summer (how much money my wife gives me for the trip) And wonder if anyone else has a similar display and would share Pic's or even similar themes with mostly modern auto's and some vintage. I can see a 3000 hit display would be quite impressive or perfect game pitchers etc. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jonathan

Hey Jonathan,
Cool idea! Consider adding a ticket stub to a home run for each of the 500 club as well.
You might also start sourcing a Miguel Cabrera signed card, because he's only about 100 HR's away and he's for sure going to be part of the 500 HR club.
Just a thought...

peterb69
04-28-2015, 06:48 AM
David Ortiz has 470 as of this typing.

bigfanNY
04-28-2015, 10:02 PM
I have a Nice Cabrera on Marlins and might pick up a Tigers as well. Ortiz is close and might do it and His cards have same issue as Miggy, A twins auto can be had on the cheap but a Red Sox Ortiz for the most part costs double. Any frame I choose I will leave room for another 4-6 players to add as they cross the threshold. The way I think best to mount is by date player joined club so leaving room at bottom should be doable.
No pics of similar displays?

PLEASE...post your display...PLEASE
Thanks
J

ooo-ribay
04-29-2015, 04:18 PM
David Ortiz has 470 as of this typing.

The DH rule has cheapened this club as badly as steroids have. :mad:

clydepepper
04-29-2015, 05:02 PM
The DH rule has cheapened this club as badly as steroids have. :mad:

I totally agree!

When I'm thinking of the 500-club, The Hammer still leads it!

bigfanNY
04-29-2015, 06:33 PM
Ray I am confused by your post Hank Aaron finished his career as a DH and in fact was the second member of the 500 club to DH. Frank Robinson was first and hit 58 as a DH. Hitting a round ball with a round bat thrown by a major league pitcher is still the hardest feat in all of the Major Sports. Ted Williams said that not me.

ooo-ribay
04-29-2015, 09:23 PM
Ray I am confused by your post Hank Aaron finished his career as a DH and in fact was the second member of the 500 club to DH. Frank Robinson was first and hit 58 as a DH. Hitting a round ball with a round bat thrown by a major league pitcher is still the hardest feat in all of the Major Sports. Ted Williams said that not me.

Yes, but it's a lot easier when you sit on your a** each and every day except for those 4-5 times a game you have to actually stand.