PDA

View Full Version : N321 1888 SF Hess California League Color - new to the hobby

Leon
04-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Now that they are over :), it was great to see some "new to the hobby" cards. It's nice to see small finds like this still happening. I was a bystander on them. They are quite bright in color though a few do have creases and some errant marks.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/bbbtom/m.html?LH_Complete=1&_ipg=50&_since=1&_sop=13&_rdc=1

Hot Springs Bathers
04-27-2015, 07:47 PM
Since seeing some of Dick Dobbins examples decades ago I have always thought the Hess cards to be among the nicest of the 19th century issues. Wow!

jhs5120
04-27-2015, 07:51 PM
I was wondering when I'd see a thread about these! I won seven cards and was the under bidder on most. I'm excited to see them in person :)

04-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Wow!

autograf
04-27-2015, 08:10 PM
Underbidder on one of them. Amazing group comprising about 1/2 the set.

Exhibitman
04-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Very impressive prices for raw on eBay

CW
04-27-2015, 08:31 PM
I wonder if the seller was expecting such ending prices. Apparently not, based on how they were laid out on their dining room table. :D

bobbvc
04-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Wow!

Agreed.

tlwise12
04-27-2015, 08:34 PM
For whatever reason I can't get the link to work

autograf
04-27-2015, 08:37 PM
$27K-ish.......nice day on the bay........

Seller definitely knew their value....started the auctions at $500 per.....

spec
04-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Now that they are over :), it was great to see some "new to the hobby" cards. It's nice to see small finds like this still happening. I was a bystander on them. They are quite bright in color though a few do have creases and some errant marks.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/bbbtom/m.html?LH_Complete=1&_ipg=50&_since=1&_sop=13&_rdc=1

These cards provide a nice object lesson for the periodic debate about "outing" auctions on eBay. They were not "outed" on this board and yet were spotted by many collectors, bringing a fair (though likely not maximum) payday for the seller. Had they been "outed," you can be sure there would have been hard feelings. It gratifies me to see so many different winners (8 on the 18 cards), collecting joy that would not have happened had the seller not stayed the course after the inevitable offers to "end it early."
B.ob Rich.ardson

camlov2
04-27-2015, 09:29 PM
I wonder if the person who won the 2008 near set was able to complete it here... at a much lower price per card as well.

Leon
04-28-2015, 06:29 AM
I wonder if the person who won the 2008 near set was able to complete it here... at a much lower price per card as well.

I thought that one was complete or maybe missing a card or two....?

autograf
04-28-2015, 06:38 AM
It was missing Gagus. The winner of this Gagus was not the person who bought that lot. At least I don't think so. I'm assuming that lot was finished later.

packs
04-28-2015, 07:22 AM
I was watching these and wanted to bid but the seller wouldn't explicitly say they would offer a refund if not authentic. The descriptions were tough too because no where did it say they were authentic, so I figured I'd have a hard time with the "item not as described" approach. The seller also said they were reluctant to offer because they were worried I'd send them a reprint back in the mail.

I thought they were real but didn't like the seller's response. Congrats to the winners though. They were nice.

Jay Wolt
04-28-2015, 07:42 AM
I was watching these and wanted to bid but the seller wouldn't explicitly say they would offer a refund if not authentic. The descriptions were tough too because no where did it say they were authentic, so I figured I'd have a hard time with the "item not as described" approach. The seller also said they were reluctant to offer because they were worried I'd send them a reprint back in the mail.

But doesn't eBay have an open policy of returning lots if you are not satisfied?
I had a guy return a PSA card stating it was too off center. Even though PSA gave it an "OC" qualifier.
And my scan showed the front & the back of the card at double the size.
So I'm under the impression that anyone can return anything to the seller for any reason, let alone if a card is not authentic.

Republicaninmass
04-28-2015, 08:15 AM
and I thought nobody was watching :rolleyes:

packs
04-28-2015, 08:38 AM
Don't know about eBay policy but when a person won't say something is authentic and tells me to do my research before bidding if I have a question about authenticity, I don't bid.

Just wanted to add that I'm not saying I think they're reproductions or that anything is off with them. Just that my messages with the seller did not instill confidence in their listings.

jhs5120
04-28-2015, 09:24 AM
It looks like the Legendary set that sold a few years ago was missing only the Gagus, but four cards (Tom McCord, Billy Newhert, Big Smith and Leonard Stockwell) were paper cut-outs from an advertising piece. So the set was technically 35/40.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/1888_n321_s_f__hess_california_league_sgc_graded_n-lot84438.aspx

A Gagus sold a few years later for $13,279 :eek:

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=17080

The Gagus that sold last night appeared to be in much better condition, but definitely looked trimmed to me.

NewEnglandBaseBallist
04-28-2015, 09:25 AM
amazing group. Something you definitely don't see on EBay every day.

autograf
04-28-2015, 02:29 PM
Ho-lee crap on that Gagus.....wow. Yeah, looking back I see that comment about the (4) cutouts. Interesting..............

ullmandds
04-28-2015, 03:08 PM
WOW! I did not see these at all...beautiful looking cards!

swarmee
04-28-2015, 04:22 PM
I didn't see them in any searches, but they kept popping up at the bottom of my screens under the thumbnails for "Since you looked at... maybe you'd like ..." or "People who bought .... also looked at ....".
eBay is definitely getting smarter about cross-posting items down there at the bottom of the page.

Leon
04-29-2015, 06:54 AM
I didn't see them in any searches, but they kept popping up at the bottom of my screens under the thumbnails for "Since you looked at... maybe you'd like ..." or "People who bought .... also looked at ....".
eBay is definitely getting smarter about cross-posting items down there at the bottom of the page.

I have bought a few cards because of ebay's cross posting things at the bottom of what I am looking at. Very sneaky of them :).

Exhibitman
04-29-2015, 11:02 PM
So if you made a find like this would you get it slabbed first as a means of maximizing returns?

Jeffrompa
04-30-2015, 12:27 AM
Yes . I would like to see how they grade out .

swarmee
04-30-2015, 04:36 AM
Most/all were stamped by the owner a long time ago, so VG 3(MK) would be most of the grades, I would bet. I don't think that would drive the price up, but having them authenticated would. Although there were enough eyes/bids on those cards that obviously there wasn't much concern if they were real or not.

jhs5120
04-30-2015, 05:32 AM
Most/all were stamped by the owner a long time ago, so VG 3(MK) would be most of the grades, I would bet. I don't think that would drive the price up, but having them authenticated would. Although there were enough eyes/bids on those cards that obviously there wasn't much concern if they were real or not.

I would imagine most buyers will send their winnings to SGC over PSA.

Personally, I'm hoping for 2's and 3's, but the technical grade doesn't really matter for many of these cards. Several have only 2-3 known copies!

ezez420
04-30-2015, 07:15 PM
I got a few in the mail today. They definitely seem to be authentic. Although they don't appear to be trimmed the cuts appear sort of diamond. But not too sure how these were originally cut. Does anyone know?

fisherboy7
04-30-2015, 07:21 PM
Sounds like a great find, still haven't had a chance to see images of the cards though, as the ebay link isn't working for me :confused:

Leon
04-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a great find, still haven't had a chance to see images of the cards though, as the ebay link isn't working for me :confused:

Try this one Ben..

http://www.ebay.com/csc/bbbtom/m.html?LH_Complete=1&_ipg=50&_since=15&_sop=13&_rdc=1

jbsports33
05-01-2015, 01:27 PM
I was waiting until they ended, it was nice to see these come up

Jimmy