PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Turkeys or Gobblers in the Tub

frankbmd
04-23-2015, 05:15 PM
The prospect of submerging a thicker card, also known as soaking a Turkey, is generally considered unwise. Turkey Reds did not get their name from scald burns caused by hot water. What then is one to do.

A while back I acquired this card.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/frankbmd/t-party/26929/close-play-at-second

At first glance there appears to be an extra cloud of dust behind the sliding runner. On closer inspection there was a print transfer from a checklist back imbedded in the cloud of dust. In fact this was due to a wet sheet transfer and indeed paper transfer from another Turkey. What to do.

Purists would of course do nothing, perhaps assuming that someone at the factory wanted the card to be this way. Post-production wet sheet transfers are in fact more common and result from cards sitting in a stack with a touch of moisture thrown in.

Soaking has its proponents and the techniques has been reviewed here many times. I do not recall however seeing a totally soaked T3 being giscussed or the technique recommended for such a card. With this is mind, i tried a more conservative approach.

What does one do with a dusty piece of furniture? Wiping off the dust is an obvious answer. What if Junior spills lemonade on the table that is not discovered until dry? Then one would reasonably wet the cloth to remove the dried lemonade.

Employing this principle I elected to perform a turkey sponge bath if you will, using a damp cloth and simply wiping the front of the card without soaking it.
I think I also wiped the back of the card as well, but at no point was the think card stock wet other than on the surface and then only momentarily.

What happened is shown below. The cloud and printing largely disappeared. Although the result is not perfect, certainly the appeal of the card is improved, at least in my opinion.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/frankbmd/t-party/12870/t3-close-play-at-second

Any other comments regarding experience soaking Turkey Reds is welcome, as well as the usual diatribe from the purists.

T3s
04-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Well done Frank. I've performed that same delicate operation myself more than a few times. A dampened q-tip works well for added accuracy.

Bocabirdman
04-23-2015, 05:42 PM
For a turkey, I break out the Pyrex baking dish to allow for plenty of room. You don't want the turkey forced into colliding with the side of your dish. After a good soak, I , and I find that no utensil works better than your hands, pat it dry while gently rubbing the trouble spots, with consistent pressure. I find that a mix of garlic and horseradish mustard emulsified in a good amount of olive oil works best.::confused:

Leon
04-25-2015, 04:11 PM
Well done Frank. That is a lesson in patience and minimalism with respect to cleaning our little gems. A good lesson and one I have learned the hard way.

xplainer
04-25-2015, 04:31 PM
You mean Turkey Reds did't start with the Topps issues? :D

Looks great Frank. Much better eye appeal.

HerbK
04-26-2015, 02:36 AM
Great job, Frank on the Turkey. Looks terrific.

Just curious, have you ever tried to soak a moose?