PDA

View Full Version : Seller's crack me up sometimes

SMPEP
04-23-2015, 02:29 PM
So I need 4 commons (not even semi-stars, total commons) to finish my 1973OPC set. A guy on COMC has a typical off-centered/bad edge/low grade version of one for sale for $1.15. What the heck ... condition is a bit less than I'd like ... but I only need 4 ... so I'll offer him a $1.00 for it.

The seller's response ... he rejects my offer!

Too funny.

You're going to turn down a sale of a card that likely won't sell over the next year (or 10?) over 15 cents?

Have to admit I'm still chuckling about that. (And yes, I know one could chuckle because I offered 15 cents less - but honestly, why would you pay asking price for any card on COMC? The seller's know you can make offers and know they can restrict offers they deem too low - so if they are taking the offer rather than generating a computer response, you automatically know you can get a discount on the asking price - so why would you offer full price?)

In any event, I just find it funny that someone rejects a sale of a low demand card over such a trivial difference. Good luck finding another interested buyer!

Patrick

buymycards
04-23-2015, 03:04 PM
The last 15-20 offers that I attempted on COMC were met with the statement - "This seller is not accepting offers at this time". The 1 time I was able to make an offer, the seller counter offered with a price drop of 10 cents. My offer was more than I would have paid for the same card on eBay.

JollyElm
04-23-2015, 04:10 PM
And the site has now been completely overrun by Douchebag Dean's Cards.

SMPEP
04-23-2015, 04:59 PM
Me too, rick.

I guess the seller's must be selling to somebody or else they would lower their prices. I still think this 1973 common will be around a LONG time.

swarmee
04-23-2015, 07:14 PM
You can make me offers on user mjohnatgt if I have anything you need. I always accept 20% off offers on cards above $2.50. I will also consider up to 50% off and counteroffer if need be, normally to about 75% of original price.

mrmopar
04-23-2015, 07:14 PM
I have not seen anything I wanted at a "reasonable" price for maybe 6 months now. It seems to have turned into a dumping ground where overpriced cards go to die.

I have heard of some sellers who reject tiny discount offers and turn around and RAISE their asking prices. One did it to me on a $2 autograph of a player who never did anything and has long since retired.

RedlegsFan
04-24-2015, 06:44 AM
I agree with mrmopar, its now a dumping ground. You need not worry about space or storage. Need to empty that old drawer at home? Need to make room in your store? Either way, you can dump them on COMC and leave them there forever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swarmee
04-24-2015, 08:39 AM
Well, there are definitely some overpriced cards. But there are also some real bargains. It's important to check the sellers that put their items on sale. Some do regular 75% off sales, so if their prices are normally 100% over book, some days they're half off book price.
I just got a T207 Dixie Walker in VG/EX for $27 and I will be sending it off to PSA. I've also bought a lot of cards to flip. Find the items you like, store them in your watch list, and wait for them to go on sale.

bn2cardz
04-24-2015, 08:51 AM
As far as the OP 15 cents is never worthy of a sale or no sale.

As far as the rest of the comments, I am a new user of COMC. I have found out real quick that when selling you are not suppose to list the cards at what you want because everyone wants to do an offer then to top it off if you ever want to get noticed you have to do a "sale" sometimes so you need the cards listed a little high to accommodate this.

I try and keep my cards priced well, right now though it is only newer cards listed. I have been getting another package ready to send that will have 60s cards also and my objective will be to move them quickly not maximize the profit over a 10 year span.

Stonepony
04-24-2015, 09:25 AM
The seller wanted $1.15 and you offer a $1.00. That's what made me chuckle:)

baseballfan
04-24-2015, 01:52 PM
I always accept reasonable and sometimes unreasonable offers for the just that reason, the card isn't coming back to me, SELL IT!!!

mouse87

make an offer, I'll sell it