PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts for the National

iowadoc77
04-22-2015, 06:39 AM
After 3 years straight of going to the National Sports Card Collectors Convention and feeling absolute sensory overload, I was wondering what could be done for those who maybe don't have 3 days to just aimlessly wander the aisles. I will not have as much time to go this year, and my kids want me to take time to look at the new shiny football stuff they collect, so it leaves me with not a lot of time to look at old baseball. So, I propose this...
A database that any dealer who wants to may participate in showing a vague description of what they have. I am no expert on spreadsheets or databases, but it would be great to know that table 2155 has some E98 cards, or table 111 has a ton of T205s. It could feature a section for common-type cards as well as big names. This may also help the dealers as many dealers bring a lot more than they can fit in their display cases and if people don't ask, the stuff never sees the floor and just gets packed up and taken home. Just a thought and I am curious what others think of this idea.

Leon
04-22-2015, 08:11 AM
After 3 years straight of going to the National Sports Card Collectors Convention and feeling absolute sensory overload, I was wondering what could be done for those who maybe don't have 3 days to just aimlessly wander the aisles. I will not have as much time to go this year, and my kids want me to take time to look at the new shiny football stuff they collect, so it leaves me with not a lot of time to look at old baseball. So, I propose this...
A database that any dealer who wants to may participate in showing a vague description of what they have. I am no expert on spreadsheets or databases, but it would be great to know that table 2155 has some E98 cards, or table 111 has a ton of T205s. It could feature a section for common-type cards as well as big names. This may also help the dealers as many dealers bring a lot more than they can fit in their display cases and if people don't ask, the stuff never sees the floor and just gets packed up and taken home. Just a thought and I am curious what others think of this idea.

I love the idea. It's a great one. However, getting it done could be very difficult due to (many) dealers having to do "anything". Most people would rather be on the sidelines and not have to take action, from my experience. Much like this board, there are far, far more lurkers than participants. It's human nature. Closer to the National we always have threads concerning vintage dealers and their inventories, especially ones who frequent this board (not a large percentage, probably, but still something). If anyone wants to spearhead this kind of project this board will help anyway it can. However, the spearheading will need another leader.

That all being said, I sometimes enjoy wandering aimlessly through aisles of (all) cards and sports memorabilia stuff....I don't do it often but it's fun when I do.

ullmandds
04-22-2015, 08:23 AM
SIMILAR THREADS SEEM TO POP UP YEARLY...how to most efficiently peruse the national on a limited schedule.

It's a tough one...and there is no simple solution. Like Leon...I tend to wander...trying to maintain some sense of order trying to see everything...but inevitably I stray from my path and lose my way. Over a few days I end up seeing everything but to do this in a quick, systematic manner is next to impossible.

iowadoc77
04-22-2015, 08:55 AM
I agree with both Leon and Pete for sure, but would be great to have a clue where to look for some of the obscure stuff. I guess it is probably just as likely to be successfully posting needs on the BST boards here, as many dealers likely are members here. Would be fun know which tables i could go directly to in addition to my aimless wandering as well. Thanks for the thoughts guys!

ullmandds
04-22-2015, 09:02 AM
eric I think your best bet is to let other collectors on here know what you are looking for and we as a "community" can help lead each other to the "stuff" we are seeking!!! Via text or phone.

Donscards
04-22-2015, 09:25 AM
Eric Great post---Every year I make a post on net 54 telling what my table number is and try to list my highlights in cards etc. I will do it again this year---I always tell collectors, the National is like 3 football fields full of cards,etc.---It is so easy to miss a dealer that may have the stuff you are looking for.---As usual, cant wait for the National!

Republicaninmass
04-22-2015, 09:32 AM
I RAN through last year and did it in about 5 hours. I'm not so sure I missed anything, but did only pick up a few cards. The worst part was hearing about all the deals I "just missed". I was able to breeze past the modern, supplies, and auction house tables, but I think you need at least two 5 hour shifts to make sure you scoured everything.

The very LAST table I hit as the were shuffling people out the door I scored 3 cards!

billyb
04-22-2015, 09:50 AM
Eric,
Seems to me, there would have to be two different threads.
1. Pre War cards and memorabilia
2. Post War Cards and memorabilia.

Dealers could then enter what they have for sale on the proper thread. Those who have both, will have to enter on both threads.

But someone would have to be willing to edit the first page, of each thread, to create and maintain an ongoing index of what the dealers offer. So someone could easily see what dealers have the cards they are looking for and then scan to that dealers posting within that thread and get better information.
This could be done for other dealers, at the show, once they learn that an information thread exists. But maintaining will mean a lot of time at the computer. May be best to schedule times as to updates to the threads.

Eric, Just an extension of your thoughts.

rats60
04-22-2015, 10:14 AM
Maybe we could have a thread for want lists. The if someone comes across something at a table, they could post from their smart phone.

ullmandds
04-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Not looking to burst bubbles here...but here goes! Bill...this will never...ever happen! In a similar vein...collectors are constantly asking "what is this card worth in this condition?" Collecting and valuations are not an exact science.

If I had a list of every dealers inventory prior to the national...I probably would NOT go...as I rarely find anything there I am looking for.

Additionally...suppose a dealer advertises in their inventory that they have 5 signed t206's and a few proofs and some freaks too. There'd be a bumrush to this table and all the desirable cards would be snatched up immediately...probably even before the doors open.

Additionally why don't we just eliminate communication entirely? If I know a dealers inventory...I don't need to ask him if he has this...or that.

It's just NEVER...EVER going to happen.

billyb
04-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Pete,
You make very good points. The main point I read from what you say, is that it would be better to communicate in person then to look at a list. Not everything could be listed, and not visiting some tables, could cause a collector to miss something they may be interested in.
So I take my bursted bubble and take a step back.
Good points Pete.

ullmandds
04-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Thanks Bill...not to mention inventorying hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of cards...and keeping such inventories up to date. And what about inventorying bargain boxes?

:)

iowadoc77
04-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Pete,
I completely respect that and never thought of that. That could create mayhem for sure. My hope was more to know which tables would have some E98s and some T205s so i made sure to hit those to work on my sets. You make a very valid point.
I think a thread for want lists close to the National so that people on the floor can post what they are seeing if someone has a specific want list can look at that would be very cool. Maybe that has been done before. I haven't been on the forum all that long.
I guess I would not need a specific list, just more general as to 1)which tables have a lot of pre-war, specifically early tobacco cards 2)which issues they have, not necessarily all the numbers or names from that issue
Might help the person who hopes to go to the national to find a card from an obscure issue that may not make it into display cases
Thanks everyone for their thoughts
Eric

glynparson
04-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Glad you stopped by during your limited 5 hour stay. No real plan I am an aimless wanderer at times though I am usually more focused than I look lol

ullmandds
04-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Eric...on that note it would not be unreasonable for a dealer to briefly describe their area of focus when signing up for a table that can be written next to their name on the "map" of vendors.

But this would be up to the organizers.

iowadoc77
04-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Agree with this for sure. However, this would require more work out of the organizers, and they would weigh the cost/benefit and possibly decide that is too much work and it would all fizzle. But i think a thread where people can post what they are looking for will be really helpful as i think dealers and attenders will look at it periodically
Always a favorite for the year, especially since I get to enjoy it with my now 10 and 13 year old boys. Nothing beats making memories...

glchen
04-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Perhaps a less time consuming way for dealers to do this would be to just take a few pictures of their cases (with the cards inside) and just upload those pictures to a common site (such as a thread here) along with the table number, and that would be good enough to get a general idea of what that dealer has. The dealer could do this before they leave for National or immediately after they setup, and hopefully be able to use just their phone to upload the pictures.

ullmandds
04-22-2015, 03:51 PM
I think if there were a way to get the contact info for all vendors planning to attend the nat'l well in advance of it...and they were made aware that there were a "site" where they could place such info...this could work.

In the meantime...threads discussing want lists and comeraderie will have to do.

Peter_Spaeth
04-22-2015, 04:01 PM
Do away with the convention altogether, create a virtual website simulating a convention where every "table" can be viewed without having to walk or talk or ask questions or better yet every card is in a searchable database by 14 fields and you can do it all from home with a smartphone or the new Apple watch.

Econteachert205
04-22-2015, 04:14 PM
As Don (hi don). Already said, he does a great job of informing the group of his major show content. A simple dealer thread would work for those who want to participate. If I was a dealer I would certainly want a place to preview and reach out to clients.

ullmandds
04-22-2015, 04:31 PM
Do away with the convention altogether, create a virtual website simulating a convention where every "table" can be viewed without having to walk or talk or ask questions or better yet every card is in a searchable database by 14 fields and you can do it all from home with a smartphone or the new Apple watch.

That's the reality when the nat'l is not going on!

iowadoc77
04-22-2015, 05:08 PM
As Don (hi don). Already said, he does a great job of informing the group of his major show content. A simple dealer thread would work for those who want to participate. If I was a dealer I would certainly want a place to preview and reach out to clients.

Agreed. Don is great at this. Think this will be fun when convention time rolls around.

Donscards
04-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Agreed. Don is great at this. Think this will be fun when convention time rolls around.

Eric and Dennis---thanks for the comments---I always list my highlights for a show on net 54---Why not!! I feel this helps me for potential sales at a show and I enjoy doing it. I think the Net 54 dealers on this site should do it too--It will only help you if a collector is looking for something you have in your inventory---Looking forward to the National in Chicago again this year. thanks, Don

Jewish-collector
04-22-2015, 06:27 PM
Don is the greatest !!! I always find something to buy at his table.

larrie804
04-22-2015, 07:46 PM
I will have tables at the National. I will post the Booth numbers and summarize the pre-war cards I will have available in mid-July. I expect to have at least 500-600 pre-war cards in inventory.

Larrie Dean
Dean's House of Cards