PDA

View Full Version : PSA Adding Security Feature to Holders

04-21-2015, 04:29 PM
http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/psa-adding-security-feature-to-holders/

PSA is adding a new security hologram to its ‘flips’, the red and white insert labels used in its card, ticket and pack holders. The hologram will be embedded in the face of every encapsulated label, according to PSA President Joe Orlando.

Thoughts?

swarmee
04-21-2015, 06:53 PM
I think it's a needed improvement. Some Craigslist/eBay scammers were making hay on the ability to print up fake flips and sell cards. Now if you've got a 1982 Topps Cal Ripken, it's worth the $5 reholdering fee to show others that your card is authentic and not a fake.

The cards I buy aren't valuable enough to reholder for this reason, and I'm not OCD enough to worry about having matching "flips" although I'm sure some collectors will flip out...

I am, however, LOVING their new online card binders: you can see the progress of my T51 set here: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/Album.aspx?setid=187482
There are some baseball ones in there (Bethany, Kentucky Wildcats, Fordham, etc)

I sent off another 100 cards to get closer a week ago on the 50day special. I also made an online album for my T56 nonsport set.

Joshchisox08
04-22-2015, 04:34 AM
http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/psa-adding-security-feature-to-holders/

PSA is adding a new security hologram to its ‘flips’, the red and white insert labels used in its card, ticket and pack holders. The hologram will be embedded in the face of every encapsulated label, according to PSA President Joe Orlando.

Thoughts?

I'm all in favor of this and love the idea now there can be very little question of any fraud. Though I tend to believe graded cards are what they're supposed to be (somewhat ignorant of myself).

I can only hope and assume that SGC will follow suite.

bobbyw8469
04-22-2015, 04:46 AM
I like the idea. I think it is really ugly being on the front though. I'm thinking it is impossible to have it on the back.

T205 GB
04-22-2015, 05:41 AM
I was hoping they agreed to stop grading counterfeit and altered cards but I guess the hologram will do as a way to draw in more income. Next stop on the F^€kery train is 1/4 grades.

brewing
04-22-2015, 06:32 AM
I can only hope and assume that SGC will follow suite.

I believe SGC is very content with not improving their product.

I base this on their feeble attempt to improve their website/registry, continued issues with the gasket, and how they sit by while PSA improved their holder over a year ago. Therefore, don't hold your breath.

It's sad, because I see so much potential with SGC.

Brent Ingr@m

Exhibitman
04-22-2015, 02:29 PM
Holograms are not exactly cutting edge...unless it's 1989. So why do this now:

"Since 1991, PSA has examined and certified more than 24 million trading cards"

the $5 reholdering fee

And there we have it. Except it won't be reholdering, it will be a special re-flip fee.

Peter_Spaeth
04-22-2015, 02:33 PM
I was hoping they agreed to stop grading counterfeit and altered cards but I guess the hologram will do as a way to draw in more income. Next stop on the F^€kery train is 1/4 grades.

When the doctors are better than the graders and are highly skilled at avoiding detection, and you're only paying a very small fee and not hiring a crime lab, you are going to get lots of altered cards in holders even assuming PSA is acting completely in good faith.

begsu1013
04-22-2015, 07:28 PM
i'm a psa guy, but before that, i'm a realist:

1. psa will make money on people reholdering to get the hologram.
2. guarantee the scammers have already inquired to china on getting a bunch of these hologram stickers fabricated.

simply an adult teeder todder.