PDA

View Full Version : Vintage vs. Antique

conor912
04-21-2015, 11:36 AM
I was trying to explain to someone how, when and why these terms are used in our hobby and how they seem to differ from other collectibles. For example, how a 1930's toy is generally called an "antique", but a '30's card is called "vintage". She asked if there are any "antique baseball cards" and I balked. The conversation had gotten to a point where even I wasn't quite sure anymore. A dealer once told me that vintage is 50-100 years old and antique is anything older than that, but even that doesn't seem applicable across the board.

Does anyone use a more concrete distinction between the two terms?

Enfuego
04-21-2015, 11:44 AM
This is what i think are differences between the two:

Antique vs Vintage

Antique and vintage refers to a rare collection of items that are hundreds of years old and which are unique. One can come across antique jewelry, potteries and a lot of other things. There are vintage cars, wines and a lot more. Though the two refer to old collectibles, it is a bit difficult to make out a difference between the two.

Antique is often referred to things that are collected because of its rarity, age, beauty and its unique features. Antiques are objects that show uniqueness in their craftsmanship, design and other features. Vintage means a certain thing or object that is unique and the best of its kind in a particular period.

There has always be a controversy regarding which item should be called antique and which one should be called vintage. When looking at this example, the deviation between antique and vintage can be more specific. A horse- drawn wagon of the 1800s is considered to be antique, as it is only a remnant of the glorious past. But a restored 1957 Chevrolet is a vintage car, as it relates to a specific car of a specific period and which has a lot of collectors even today.

There is still a controversy regarding antique objects. Some say that objects that are 100 years old can be called as antique but some say objects that are 50 years old can be termed as antique.

When talking of Vintage, the term is widely related to wines. Vintage has come from the French word, vendage, which means grapes picked during a particular season. An Antique comes from the Latin word, antiquus, which means old.

So, in summary:

1.Antique and vintage refers to rare collection of items that are hundreds of years old and which are unique.

2.Antique is often referred to things that are collected because of its age, rarity, beauty and its unique features. Vintage means a certain thing or object that is unique and the best of its kind in a particular period.

3.Some say that objects that are 100 years old can be called as antique but some say objects that are 50 years old can be termed as antique.

4.Vintage is a term that is widely related to wines.

5.Vintage has come from the French word, vendage, which means grapes picked during a particular season. A Antique comes from the Latin word, antiquus, which means old.

drcy
04-21-2015, 03:46 PM
This board's use of 'vintage' as applying to Pre-WWI cards is abnormal. 99% of antique collectors would say most of the card talked about on this board are antique. T206s, after all, are over 100 years old.

In general, antique usually means 75 or 100 years or older. And, besides, if something is from 1940, whether you call it antique or vintage is no big deal-- as you know it's 75 years old.

travrosty
04-21-2015, 03:52 PM
they both just generally mean very old

1880nonsports
04-21-2015, 08:18 PM
is titillating to the younger generation while antique appeals to the older collector. As noted above - the term antique is defined by a specific age when used in it's correct form depending on the venue. My experience in the marketplace id that I just figure the seller's talking about not new........

rats60
04-22-2015, 08:34 AM
This board's use of 'vintage' as applying to Pre-WWI cards is abnormal. 99% of antique collectors would say most of the card talked about on this board are antique. T206s, after all, are over 100 years old.

In general, antique usually means 75 or 100 years or older. And, besides, if something is from 1940, whether you call it antique or vintage is no big deal-- as you know it's 75 years old.

People refer to 1979 Topps as vintage. Someone on the basketball board called 1986/7 Fleer vintage. In light of that, Pre WW2 cards should be antique vs. 48-69 Topps and Bowman as vintage.

iowadoc77
04-22-2015, 08:57 AM
My grandparents collected antiques.
I like to collect vintage.
Probably many of the same items, I just like the terminology better :D

clydepepper
04-22-2015, 09:20 AM
they both just generally mean very old

I'm guessing that puts me in both categories...but I still try to find collectibles older than me...not sure what's making my searches take longer these days: the items searched or the search engine I was born with...definitely need an upgrade.

Runscott
04-22-2015, 09:21 AM
As David pointed out, 'antique' is an easy one;however, 'vintage' is used in a lot of ways by sellers and collectors of a lot of different things (including wine) - most usages being erroneous - so it was difficult to even find a useful definition of the word (that didn't relate to wine).

The best I found for our purposes (from Merriam-Webster): "a period in which something was made or was begun". The problem with its usage generally comes with antiques - you'll see ebay sellers calling something 'vintage' clothing when they really mean 'almost antique', 'almost' being such a variable period as to be useless. Since vintage refers to an actual time period, using the word without indicating a time period as well, is a waste of time. Also, you could say 'vintage 1960s' and be talking about an item that LOOKS like something made during that period, but was actually made last week in China.

jhs5120
04-22-2015, 09:41 AM
I've always considered antiques to be items from the Antiquity; so by default, nothing related to baseball can be an antique.

drcy
04-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Antiquities is something different. Antiquity means Ancient Greece and Rome, etc. George Washington's walking stick would be too modern for antiquity.

jhs5120
04-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Antiquity means Ancient Greece and Rome, etc. George Washington's walking stick would be too modern for antiquity.

All true, but I wouldn't really consider George Washington's walking stick an antique either.

I could be mistaken, but I consider antiquity to begin sometime before the middle ages. Those are antiques (ie. from the Antiquity).

Edited to add: I looked up Antiquity and found a similar definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiquity

drcy
04-22-2015, 11:17 AM
In the end, if someone wants to call his Goudeys or 1915 Cracker Jacks vintage or antique it's no big deal to me. But antique and antiquity are two different things.

Eric72
04-22-2015, 12:07 PM
I believe the term, "antique" used to refer to an item made before 1830.

More recently, the definition has been modified and generally refers to an item 100+ years old.

rats60
04-22-2015, 01:23 PM
All true, but I wouldn't really consider George Washington's walking stick an antique either.

I could be mistaken, but I consider antiquity to begin sometime before the middle ages. Those are antiques (ie. from the Antiquity).

Edited to add: I looked up Antiquity and found a similar definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiquity

Antique = more than 100 years old
Antiquity = before the middle ages

conor912
04-22-2015, 02:57 PM

I agree, it sounds slightly off, but not more than calling it vintage :)
How about "historical artifact"?

Runscott
04-23-2015, 10:18 AM
I believe the term, "antique" used to refer to an item made before 1830.

More recently, the definition has been modified and generally refers to an item 100+ years old.

That probably occurred in 1931.

Huysmans
04-24-2015, 07:22 AM
Its simple. Anything around 25 years or older is "vintage". Once something is 100 years old or older it is "antique". Since time immemorial in collecting the term antique refers to any item that's at least 100 years old. Nothing more, nothing less.