PDA

View Full Version : Help. 1958 World Series Bat. Carlton Willey

Donscards
04-21-2015, 10:46 AM
My friend has a 1958 World Series bat. Carlton Willey. K55 on bat knob. Need help with a price. Nice condition.

byrone
04-21-2015, 11:07 AM
http://cdn.fangraphs.com/not/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Carlton-Willey.jpgNeat item, always think of Cherryfield, Maine when Carlton Willey's name appears, from his mention in The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book

The writers thought of Cherryfield as “inhabited exclusively by lobster fishermen and grizzly bears.”

And the sign in the town “WELCOME TO CHERRYFIELD, MAINE, HOME OF MAJOR LEAGUE PITCHER CARLTON WILLEY.”http://http://cdn.fangraphs.com/not/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Carlton-Willey.jpg

UnVme7
04-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Without seeing it, I would say around $350.

Donscards
04-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Without seeing it, I would say around $350.

Nate that seems low to me, but I will take some scans of it thur and put them on here thur night---my research shows a 1960 Clem Labine Bat went for $1200----I was thinking it would be in the $800 range--but I am only guessing---I will get the scans to help. thanks

UnVme7
04-21-2015, 07:16 PM
Nate that seems low to me, but I will take some scans of it thur and put them on here thur night---my research shows a 1960 Clem Labine Bat went for $1200----I was thinking it would be in the $800 range--but I am only guessing---I will get the scans to help. thanks

It does seem like it, but I know there was one from the same yr on EBay for about 5 months. The guy listed it for $1,100 or so with a best offer. He never sold it after relisting it about 10 times. He posted pics of his and the value everyone came up with was around $400.

Also have to put into consideration that he was a pitcher and I don't think he had an AB, making it game issued with no use. Still a nice bat tho and one that ppl want to buy.

Kawika
04-22-2015, 01:02 AM
There was a guy who came on the Board about seven years ago who lived near Carlton Willey and knew him well. I bet he might like this bat. Unfortunately it's one of the old archived threads and his contact information and other links have been stripped clean, but it's still an interesting read. He had some nice things to say about his old friend Carlton.

Link to thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=91038)

bnorth
04-25-2015, 07:10 AM
It does seem like it, but I know there was one from the same yr on EBay for about 5 months. The guy listed it for $1,100 or so with a best offer. He never sold it after relisting it about 10 times. He posted pics of his and the value everyone came up with was around $400.

Also have to put into consideration that he was a pitcher and I don't think he had an AB, making it game issued with no use. Still a nice bat tho and one that ppl want to buy.

I would also think $400-500 would be a good price considering it is a pitchers bat that probably was not game used.

Tedw9
05-02-2015, 06:58 PM
There was a guy who came on the Board about seven years ago who lived near Carlton Willey and knew him well. I bet he might like this bat. Unfortunately it's one of the old archived threads and his contact information and other links have been stripped clean, but it's still an interesting read. He had some nice things to say about his old friend Carlton.

That would be me, thanks for thinking of me. Yes, when I found out about the bat, I knew I had to have it.

It's now "home" with me and Carlton would be thrilled to know I had his bat in my collection. I've got to give a huge thank you to my good friend JoeDfan, who not only alerted me to this thread, but negotiated a deal with the seller and as the greatest birthday gift ever, paid for half of the bat. He's seen my collection and we both knew that bat had to be with me. Sean, your the best, thank you.

I know the term Grail is thrown around a lot, but this for sure was mine. I've been collecting Carlton for over 20 years and have never had the chance to own anything that was his.

UnVme7
05-02-2015, 07:21 PM
Excellent. Glad it went to a good home.

Kawika
05-02-2015, 09:08 PM
Steve: It pleases me to learn that Carlton Willey's WS bat found its way to you. I was sorry to hear that he passed away about a year after we had our exchange on the board in 2008. You were lucky to know him; he was lucky to know you. This is the card I bought.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/sportscardsetc/baseball/holygrailcards/large/58T%20Willey.jpg

bnorth
05-03-2015, 06:26 AM
That would be me, thanks for thinking of me. Yes, when I found out about the bat, I knew I had to have it.

It's now "home" with me and Carlton would be thrilled to know I had his bat in my collection. I've got to give a huge thank you to my good friend JoeDfan, who not only alerted me to this thread, but negotiated a deal with the seller and as the greatest birthday gift ever, paid for half of the bat. He's seen my collection and we both knew that bat had to be with me. Sean, your the best, thank you.

I know the term Grail is thrown around a lot, but this for sure was mine. I've been collecting Carlton for over 20 years and have never had the chance to own anything that was his.

Steve, Bat looks awesome in your collection and a BIG +1 on Sean being a great guy.

Scott Garner
05-04-2015, 03:33 AM

Steve,
What an awesome collector story! Truly this bat belonged in your hands. :)