PDA

View Full Version : Ty Cobb? Game Card Value

CrazyDiamond
04-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Was looking for some help on this one

Picked this card up today and was looking for some help on value.

I bought this with basically zero knowledge of the Tom Barker game cards but noticed the image looks like Ty Cobb. Seeing that the card was PSA graded already and had received an 8 - I Felt the price was good enough to take a shot. So after a little haggling I was able to make a deal I was comfortable with.

Would anyone be able to help me with the value of this card? i have been researching but was having a hard time putting a general value on it

Thanks in advance for any and all replies. Again I do not know much about these so any information would be greatly appreciated.

vthobby
04-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Greg,

Not a lot of historical data on this card but a PSA 5 sold for $48 back in 2013 and a PSA 7 is currently listed on Ebay with a BIN of $305

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261823311876?item=261823311876&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

Hope that helps a bit.

Mike

Clydewally
04-18-2015, 09:15 PM
I paid $122 for mine, which is also an 8. It is a Cobb. I had done some looking and thought I bought the card on the low end but it is not a particularly highly valued Cobb, I think. That seems to be primarily because National Game and Tom Barker cards may not be perceived as real baseball cards (though I collect them).

CrazyDiamond
04-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I saw the BIN also on eBay which is made me think that I also bought on the low end

swarmee
04-19-2015, 09:48 AM
The PSA card is titled "Sliding into home" but it looks like a standard base to me. Or was home plate a regular base back then, rather than a 5-sided rubber shape embedded in the ground?

clydepepper
04-19-2015, 09:58 AM
Greg- You can also check with online PSA price guide as an information base. I don't think they have the Tom Barker set listed, but it is identical in every other way to the 1913 National Game set with matching listed values.

The other place I check is Ebay search on sold listing which will provide the last six months of sales you describe.

The playing card sets are an attractive and affordable alternative for the higher priced tobacco cards from the same era.

Raymond