PDA

View Full Version : Which Auction House?

mschwade
04-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Question for everyone... Your personal preference...

If you had a unique vintage autographed item and you wanted to get the most money you could, would you take your item to REA or Goldin right now? Or is there someone else you would take it to? I picked them because those two houses appear to get the best realized prices in the market.

Klrdds
04-16-2015, 10:33 AM
REA in my opinion is where I would go first.

Scott Garner
04-16-2015, 10:58 AM
+1

ibuysportsephemera
04-16-2015, 11:03 AM
REA, especially if it is baseball related. I also just got the SCP catalog and was impressed as well.

Jeff

mschwade
04-16-2015, 11:06 AM
REA in my opinion is where I would go first.

I think REA has been the traditional place and still probably is, but looking at Goldin's past auctions, I think that gap is closing.

RelicSports
04-16-2015, 11:35 AM
I agree on REA...they don't charge for authentication, and have a reasonably low consigning fee compared to Goldin which is higher consignor fee and charge back authentication to consignor...unless that has changed recently

Shoeless Moe
04-16-2015, 04:50 PM
That's a false perception.

Awhile back I compared same items that sold at REA and elsewhere and it was an even 50/50, sometimes REA got more, sometimes others.

REA may have the best stuff(and that's because they were a once a year auction, now twice, but if the others only held an auction or two, they'd be equal to REA in quality, theirs are just more spread out over the year), but again REA does not "always" get the best prices. It's a fact. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. They are a big boy don't get me wrong.

Also, what you do want is ask the auction house if any other autos of the same one you have will be in the auction, it'd be best if yours was the only one.

Shoeless Moe
04-16-2015, 04:59 PM
if you item is gonna go for well over a couple thousand, all auction houses will waive your fee, you can consign for free, they'll make their money on the buyers premium.

Shop it to REA, SCP, Heritage, Goldin, Grey Flannel, Goodwin or Hunt Live and ask if they'll waive the consignment and any grading, if it's not graded. All of the above do very well.