04-13-2015, 02:03 PM
I picked up an issue #47 that has 6 1978 topps baseball cards attached

1 of the cards so happens to be a eddie murray rc

Are these real cards and if so is there a value here

just an odd ball item

reminds me of the first 2 issues of sports illustrated

steve B
04-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Yes, they're real cards. I'm not sure if the whole set made it into the magazine, but there were a lot of different panels of 6.

Probably not the whole set, since an 11 card wide sheet doesn't make an even number of 2x3 panels.

They also did other years, 79, and 81 for sure.

Steve B

RaidonCollects
04-13-2015, 03:29 PM
As said above, they are indeed legitimate.

A nice oddity for any '78 Topps collector or Eddie Murray fan.

Scholastic book Club and Topps teamed up just for that issue (#47). The "set" contains three different panels, your's being the most valuable (as it has the Murray RC). I would estimate it's worth about $50 (with the magazine) as long as the panel is in good shape (NM).

-Owen

Jayworld
04-13-2015, 03:41 PM
Wow, this brings back cool memories; of course, at the time I carefully removed the six panel cards and trimmed them out separately to try to complete my set. :roll eyes:

You can still find them on eBay, too, from time-to-time...

ALR-bishop
04-13-2015, 03:41 PM
I agree with Steve the cards are real Topps cards. I also agree you can not complete a set with them and I am not aware of any master checklist of cards that appeared in the magazine, although it occurred I think in both the 70s and 80s ( not positive about the 80s) .

Bob Lemke had listed several of these panels in the SCD Standard Catalog, and the pre 1980 panels were still in the 2013 edition. The 78 panel with Murray and 5 others is one of the listed panels under 1978 Topps. It lists it at $ 60 in NRM, but that price is purely speculative. It also lists list 2 other 78 panels. It list 2 panels for 1979. It also lists 2 panels for 1977 and one for 1976.

These listings are not complete. I have come across other panels for those years in trying to run down the ones listed in the Catalog. I have run down all the panels listed in SCD but for one from 1979 that as listed in SCD has Sexton/Ellis/Schultz/Thompson/Reynolds. If anyone has it and wants to sell it, it would satisfy an itch of mine to complete the list of those in the Catalog. My other option is to talk the current editor Tom Bartsch into removing them from the Catalog :)

If anyone knows of a full checklist of all panels that appeared in the magazine that would be welcomed as well

moeson
04-13-2015, 04:16 PM
I have many issues of Dynamite with cards from 1981, 82 and 84. If anybody needs panel info. just let me know. Hot dog! magazine also featured card panels in 1984.

laughlinfan
04-14-2015, 07:50 AM
Wanted to also echo that there were produced in the 80's - somewhere I have quite a few magazines from 1984 with the panels. As I recall, one of the panels included the Mattingly rookie.

I am assuming the cards are the same as the regular issue, but have never checked to see if the sheet designation and so forth are identical. Anyone know if they were ever different from the pack issued cards?

ALR-bishop
04-14-2015, 08:30 AM
Good question Marty. I will check the panels I have for 77,78 and 79 against the cards in my sets and see if the fronts and backs both match

laughlinfan
04-14-2015, 09:27 AM
Thanks, Al! I just always assumed they were the same but never checked them.

darkhorse9
04-14-2015, 01:42 PM
You guys are confusing Dynamite magazine with Baseball Cards magazine. Dynamite didn't exist in the 80s.

The Dynamite cards were produced by Topps. The Baseball Card magazine cards were fantasy cards.

moeson
04-14-2015, 02:13 PM
Of course Dynamite existed in the 80s! I have multiple copies in my collection and 80s issues are all over Ebay.

Jayworld
04-14-2015, 03:28 PM
Of course Dynamite existed in the 80s! I have multiple copies in my collection and 80s issues are all over Ebay.

Yes, I concur. Dynamite magazine was produced and distributed by Scholastic books from 1974 - 1992, and it was a monthly magazine until about 1983-84, going to bi-monthly at that time. At one time, I had a run from issues #38 - #125 with several issues of inserted baseball cards, etc.

Exhibitman
04-15-2015, 08:03 AM
There are also football cards in the magazine. I have a 1975 issue with a Bruce Lee cover story and a six-card 1975 FB panel.

ALR-bishop
04-24-2015, 10:33 AM
Marty---sorry to take so long to get back on this.

SCD lists 3 of the Dynamite card panels for 1978 in the 2011 Catalog, the last catalog to list post 1980 issues. There may have been other panels in other issues that year, but those were the only ones listed in SCD, so the only ones I sought out.

I picked one card from each panel I had to compare with the cards in my regular set...Fred Lynn (320), Reggie Jackson All Star ( 200) and the above mentioned Murray (36). All seem identical, front and back, including the sheet designations on the back ( 2 As and 1 B). I did not check yet to see if the same holds true for my 77 and 79 panels, but assume it will. I am not a sheet guy so do not know if a full sheet would show that the 6 card panels match up with how you would find them on a full sheet, but assume so.

The Murray panel appears in issue number 47. No date appears on the cover, but advertising for the upcoming June issue indicates it would be number 49, so assume the Murray was in April The panel is folded such that two cards appear just inside the front cover and 4 card, including Murray, appear just inside the back cover

PowderedH2O
04-24-2015, 11:28 AM
I remember getting 1975 baseball cards in Dynamite before they actually made it into the local stores. I had the Hank Aaron Highlight (All-Star) card as one of the cards I remember.