PDA

View Full Version : Question About Trading

ccre
04-11-2015, 03:01 PM
So I have some pre war cards on Ebay as Buy It Now. I have someone (non Net 54 member) that has reached out to me about trading some cards. I am am considering proposing a trade BUT I have never actually done a trade like this. I know many members on here do trades I'm sure with much success. But I honestly have know idea how this would work. This will involved approx $500-$600 worth of T & E cards. Would love to hear any advice from any board members. Thanks in advance! Dave

barrysloate
04-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Focus more on what you might get than what you are giving up.

ccre
04-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the advice bit I'm more concerned with how the actual trade happens. I don't want to necessarily mail hundreds of dollars of cards to someone until I have theirs and I'm sure they are thinking the same.

buymycards
04-11-2015, 03:18 PM
I have done dozens of trades over the years. 99% of them worked out fine. I would suggest starting out with a small trade. Maybe 1 or 2 cards. If that trade goes smoothly, then you can work on another small trade, and then maybe a larger trade. By that time you should have the guys phone number, name, and mailing address and you will know whether or not his cards are described correctly, how quickly and securely he ships, and whether or not he is trustworthy. I would never trade $600 worth of cards to someone that I don't know. I would also check out his ebay username and look at this feedback.

Rick

x2drich2000
04-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Personally, someone from Ebay where I have no idea who they are I would be a bit hesitant. They reached out to you, so I would simply make them send first as part of your trade agreement. Just treat it the same as if they were paying for the items in which case they would need to pay before you would ship.

DJ

Joshchisox08
04-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Personally, someone from Ebay where I have no idea who they are I would be a bit hesitant. They reached out to you, so I would simply make them send first as part of your trade agreement. Just treat it the same as if they were paying for the items in which case they would need to pay before you would ship.

DJ

I agree also call the guy up on the phone and get a feel for it.

ccre
04-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Thank you all for your advice!

04-11-2015, 05:08 PM

DJ

+1

Net54 is an insulated and safe community for deals of pretty much all types, but eBay is the Wild West.

glchen
04-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Since the other guy is the one who proposed the trade, and you are the more "established" one who accounts on n54 and perhaps ebay, insist that he send you the cards first. After you receive the cards and everything looks good, then you send him the cards. Make sure both parties have tracking on the packages.

If he's not sure whether to trust you or not, tell him to signup for an account on net54. (or some other reputable forum that both of you are aware of.) Then put your trade details in a new BST post, so that there is an "audit trail" for the trade. Therefore, if one of the parties has an issue w/ the trade, the details are publicly displayed. (Still insist that he send you the cards first.) This is what I have done on occasion in the past.

whiteymet
04-11-2015, 08:26 PM
What's his ebay feedback rating? If 100% with lots of transaction it will be much easier to "trust" him.

However if he has just a few feedbacks or his rating is less than 98% I'd be a lot more cautious.