PDA

View Full Version : Possible Forgery?

Teamgluck
04-11-2015, 01:23 PM
http://catalog.scpauctions.com/1937_NEW_YORK_YANKEES_AND_PHILADELPHIA_ATHLETICS_M-LOT31594.aspx?inventoryid=31594&seo=1937_NEW_YORK_YANKEES_AND_PHILADELPHIA_ATHLETI CS_M

Something is fishy here this ball was caught in Detroit yet signed by all Yanks/Sox?!?!?!?!?!? I'm still working on my autograph authentication skills but I have a weird feeling about this ball. What are some of your thoughts?

Jordan Gluck

djson1
04-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Yeah, that description confused me a bit too. I guess it's a Tigers foul ball that somebody eventually took to the Yankees/Athletics game to get signed. Strange indeed, but some of the sigs on there look good like the Foxx, Cronin, and Grove. I don't know about the DiMaggio and Gehrig though.

packs
04-13-2015, 01:16 PM
In the days when this ball was caught I think baseballs cost a pretty penny to regular people. So it could have been that this was the only baseball the person had, which they acquired during a game for free.

Teamgluck
04-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Makes some sense. I am not an autograph expert (yet) but that Gehrig caught my eye as being a little suspicious considering he signs with a very light hand and thats a pretty heavy autograph

David Atkatz
04-13-2015, 06:01 PM
The Gehrig is fine.

thetruthisoutthere
04-13-2015, 06:09 PM
The Gehrig is fine.

Sure is.....

Runscott
04-14-2015, 09:35 AM
In the days when this ball was caught I think baseballs cost a pretty penny to regular people. So it could have been that this was the only baseball the person had, which they acquired during a game for free.

Makes sense. As a kid I had plenty of baseballs that I played ball with, but reserved one nice one for taking to Astros games for autographs. If I had an official MLB ball from a game, it would have been much nicer than my playing balls, so I would have used it for autographs. I still have several baseballs from MLB games that I put away for autographs some day. I have others that I play catch with.

Cool Yankees/Red Sox ball with a pleasant amount of patina and some great autographs that have held up well. Too bad Dippy Dick was so prolific with his own pen.